• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Positives and Negatives of lift kit

NC4X4boy

NAXJA Forum User
I need some input on the +'s and -'s of a lift kit, im ready to get the thing, but the people controling the insurance (AKA parents) arent so intrested and thinks its a waste. Please, any input will be greatly appreciated and used in convienceing my elders.

back when i had this problem i just ordered the lift (3" black diamond)...installed it at a friends house and came home...my parents didnt notice for almost a week when my mom had to borrow it

IF Mom and Dad are paying the bills, and they do not see it as a wise choice....guess what?

Positives - It will let you travel further off-highway, and concur more difficult trails.

Negitives - It will affect handeling, raise your center of gravity, lower your Jeeps vaule, make it harder to get in and out of, decrease MPG...

Rev

NC4X4boy said:
I need some input on the +'s and -'s of a lift kit, im ready to get the thing, but the people controling the insurance (AKA parents) arent so intrested and thinks its a waste. Please, any input will be greatly appreciated and used in convienceing my elders.
If you plan to wheel then it's a possitive (if done right): @ about 3.5" of lift my XJ handled better then stock, but I had: full leaf packs, longer control arms, adjustable track bar, quick disconnects (which gave me proper length front swaybar links when connected), better shocks.
If you are doing it for the show then it's a negative.

Rev Den said:
Negitives - It will affect handeling, raise your center of gravity, lower your Jeeps vaule, make it harder to get in and out of, decrease MPG...

Rev

Lower your jeeps value?? Well maybe for newer Jeeps but older XJ's are wroth more or sell for more with lifts.

IcedXJ said:
Lower your jeeps value?? Well maybe for newer Jeeps but older XJ's are wroth more or sell for more with lifts.

Incorrect. They are only worth what someone will pay for them. I, for one, would be willing to pay MORE for something unmolested and well taken care of.

ECKSJAY said:
Incorrect. They are only worth what someone will pay for them. I, for one, would be willing to pay MORE for something unmolested and well taken care of.

And I would pay more for one that already has done to it what I would do anyway. So there ya have it.

I would really say that if your not ready to take over the insurance payments listen to your elders. There really is plenty of time to play later. Just think of what you could do if you just keep saving your money for now and do what you want with it when the time comes!

klonestar said:
And I would pay more for one that already has done to it what I would do anyway. So there ya have it.

I would really say that if your not ready to take over the insurance payments listen to your elders. There really is plenty of time to play later. Just think of what you could do if you just keep saving your money for now and do what you want with it when the time comes!

I could put you into a sweet 96...real reasonable. :)

XJ_Vikings said:
lifting a jeep is like doing coke. once you spend a little money onit you cant stop without and intervention

I'm stealing that for my sig, that's priceless.

pros: It's a ton of fun and a great hobby. You learn great skills on how to fix things, as well as how to manage your money for future projects.

cons: set a budget...then DOUBLE it because that's how much you'll end up spending at least. It is expensive, and the more you wheel it, the harder you wheel it, the more $$ you spend fixing broken stuff or improving it. It is very addicting.

Chris

ckh550 said:
cons: set a budget...then DOUBLE it because that's how much you'll end up spending at least. It is expensive, and the more you wheel it, the harder you wheel it, the more $$ you spend fixing broken stuff or improving it. It is very addicting.

Chris

okay that could not be anymore true...I thought an engine swap budget for a V8 would be good at 2k...i am looking at 3-4K...maybe even triple it?

If you want for now leave the jeep stock and add some armor to it. So when you lift it later you will not have to worry about that.

haha yeah I meant double it FOR THE FIRST YEAR! That's just the 'initial' round of mods you plan on doing...haha, but yeah its fun.

NC4X4boy said:
I need some input on the +'s and -'s of a lift kit, I'm ready to get the thing, but the people controlling the insurance (AKA parents) aren't so interested and thinks its a waste. Please, any input will be greatly appreciated and used in convincing my elders.

Get a job and pay for your own insurance, if you have to, buy your own vehicle. It's their liability not yours if they own the XJ.

'Wheel it stock and when they complain about the rocker panels bashed in so the doors wont close, the t'case split open and the tow-truck fees, just tell them none of it would have happened if it had some more ground clearance.

Or not.

for sure get skids and tow points instead of a lift...and upgrade the jeep with little mods and maybe compromise with them for a 2"bb

I would go with tow points first. Cause a lift will just help you get stuck worse cause you'll go into worse stuff. So why not get the tow points out of the way first. Then after you have some experiance, go with a lift that will best fit your wheeling. Cause after you've done some wheeling, you'll better know what size tires and such you'd be most happy with.

lift? what a waste...

trim and stuff 31's; get tow points...

Back