• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pointers for Wheeling Black Mountain

Re: Pointer for Wheeling Black Mountain

Don't forget the Copperheads at the lower rock garden. I'm talking snakes.

10. DO NOT reach under or let your kids reach under rocks without being VERY careful. The copper heads are fairly abundant and if it's hot they will be holing up wherever they can find shade. We almost stepped on a pair under a ledge on Lower Rock Garden last year.

Covered :)

Pointer for Wheeling Black Mountain

I wonder how well VHF radios would work from the trail to the campground.

Probably better than a cb, unless you're on the other side of the mountain. Maybe very well if you pick up a repeater, but not many folks are licensed.

Red 'shhh' heep

Pointer for Wheeling Black Mountain

Don't forget that while there are some very impressive obstacles in Harlan, the trails are all the result of the mining industry. That means that most obstacles are optional with bypasses and even a stock rig can get up to see people play on some of the harder trails.

Don't be afraid to go with a more experienced group and learn what you're really capable of. There's a easy choice and a hard choice on most of the trails.

Probably better than a cb, unless you're on the other side of the mountain. Maybe very well if you pick up a repeater, but not many folks are licensed.

Red 'shhh' heep

Well, I'm not licensed either. I have a bunch of handheld 5W VHF radios.

I wouldn't be using a repeater. It's just be a glorified family Walkie talkie.

I have a couple of 2m radios from racing. One of them is an ICOM base that's mounted in the jeep. The other is a Yaesu hand held.

I'll get the list of frequencies loaded in the Icom and we could use one of them.

mac 'speakeasy' gyvr

I have a couple of 2m radios from racing. One of them is an ICOM base that's mounted in the jeep. The other is a Yaesu hand held.

I'll get the list of frequencies loaded in the Icom and we could use one of them.

mac 'speakeasy' gyvr

I have some cheap knockoff $40 handheld. Some Chinese brand that I can't pronounce. I have several of them.

Bring a Chigger Killer Kit..... A bottle of clear fingernail polish. If you get infested, simply paint the polish over them. They burrow into your skin. Coating them in the polish suffocates them. And protects the skin from further irritation until it heals up.

Yes, I am from the South. And you ain't seen a chigger until you've seen the ones that make home in the Spanish moss along the Gulf Coast.... Nasty little monsters.....

mac 'speakeasy' gyvr

These are the cheapos that I have. They work pretty well for a $40 special.

20140311_193036_zps57b894e0.jpg

Looks like a great deal.

I have $300 in my handheld Yaesu and $400 in my base ICOM.

mac 'good to use them for more than racing' gyvr

Probably need to start a Communications thread since this is a major derail, but...

For those that went to Moab, did the 2m comms make a difference, or were they used much? I wouldn't mind getting set up for both CB and 2m, but only if we will use it.

Wasn't used much. But when it was, the range was unreal.

mac 'even without a repeater' gyvr

For $40 i'd be willing to grab one too.

I know we often times have trouble trying to get everybody's CB's dialed in correctly.

Maybe these would work better for trying to get in touch with other groups through out the day as well?

For $40 i'd be willing to grab one too.

I know we often times have trouble trying to get everybody's CB's dialed in correctly.

Maybe these would work better for trying to get in touch with other groups through out the day as well?

Possibly, I have no idea how well they'll work up in the mountains. Line of sight they do great. As best as I've tested them they seem to work good up to about 2.5 miles in normal city areas that isn't flat.

I'll have 2 or 3 with me when I come.

I bought that one and bought the 18" antenna to go with it. Didn't use it, but the antenna is supposed to help a bunch.

Back