• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PNW tire options

Dingo509

NAXJA Forum User
Okay i know there are a million and one threads going about tire right now, but i'm curious as to what everyone is running around here. I recently got into a hole that was full of slimy mud and the only thing i had to get traction on was wet slimy roots. needless to say i required help to get out.

I have run both Boggers and SSR's but am thinking of something different this time. i'm looking for something around 35"-37" i had thought about 36" SX's but i'm not sure that's the best tire for this area anymore

For terrain im looking at Mostly Pavement since it is my DD but i run alot in the rocks, not so much in the sand and deep snow. I do travel over I-90 alot in the winter though.

So let's hear what you think!

Dingo

I had TSL Swampers for about 9 months. Then they went bald. They ran ok offroad. But I have BFG Mud Terrains now, and they work great. You'll get around a year and a half with them, maybe more. They stay pretty quite to, and well work well on road too. I'd say about half the rigs that went this last weekend to TSF had BFG's, either mud terrains or all terrains.

well a DD, not so much in sand or mud... sounds like a GY MTR is perfect for you. you can't go wrong with that tire. i too have ran SSR's, BFG MT, procomp Xtremes, and GY MTR's. the GY's are the best choice for that type of wheeling and DDing. i'm on my 2nd set.

shimmy said:
well a DD, not so much in sand or mud... sounds like a GY MTR is perfect for you. you can't go wrong with that tire. i too have ran SSR's, BFG MT, procomp Xtremes, and GY MTR's. the GY's are the best choice for that type of wheeling and DDing. i'm on my 2nd set.

about how long are they lasting? I know a mud tire is not a high mileage tire but i only got about 20k out of my Boggers before they were sent to the dragstrip! j/k

Dingo

I'm running truxus mt's they do great off road and are nice and quiet, but i have had balancing issues with my 33's which has made dd'ing interesting especially on the highway

For a daily driver, I don't think you could beat a MTR or BFG Mud. I had a set of 33" MTR's for 10,000 and had 75% tread left. They worked great except in pure mud. You are not going to find a perfect mud tire that is great on the road as well. Sorry, that just opened myself up to an argument.

I run MTR's and love'em. If you decide to get some remember they should be rotated every 3k to 5k miles you will get irregular wear(per many sources).

X2 on the Truxus M/T Great Washington tire for a daily driver/weekend wheeler.

Siped for snow.

Tapered Lugs for mud removal.

Tough like most tires made by Interco.

Long milage, (I have 30k and 50%-60% tread left) I will never be able to get larger tires as slowly as these are wearing.

Square just to remind you that they are made by Interco.:jester:

I love these tires. Best tires I have owned. IMHO Better then BFG M/T, SS TSL, Wild Countries, Toyo, Kumutos.

Dingo you are asking for the world running your truck as a DD :)

If it was not a DD I think I would go with either the SX or Irok.
Personally I am going with the TSL bias (non DD).

But since you continue to drive it on the road I would go with the Truxus MT hands down.

I am EXTREMELY uninpressed with the MTR in this area. Dry areas might be different but in the wet sticky, roots stuff we get, they are HORRIBLE. They are ok on the street but not on the trail.

Second choice for me would be the BFG MT. What ever you get it should be siped.

I have no experience with the TOYO MT but I think of it as a Big Truck MT that is used strictly for looks on the street. (just my neive opinion).

We going to see you again in the rocks??

Michael

Bryan, the MTR's are not going to impress you in the slop. The 36" SX's do work great but aren't very friendly on the road and would probably last just a little bit longer than the Boggers. ;) The Irok's are also very good tires but again, road mileage is suspect.

I would also place my vote for the TRXUS MT's. They worked great down in Moab last month and handled the 2,000 mile round trip there and back on the highway without issue.

I got to thinking about the road maners, i have run some sort of Interco for so long that im not sure what good handling is like. it's the slimy roots that im worried about the most. well that and the sidewalls, i have chunks missing from my SSR's right now, right down to the belts. that's why i was leaning towards the SX's I think the bigger voids between the center lugs may help alittle with the roots, and the sidewall is one of the best around and there not too bad on the street. I had them once on a 69 blazer.

I have also thought about the GY MTR's but again the traction in the roots kinda bothers me. and now with Micheal and Chad both saying there bad i think i'll steer clear from them.

Yes i know there is no perfect tire for roost, but that's my main concern, the rest i can deal with.

I'm going to be the guinea pig for the Mickey Thompson MTZ's. I have 2 sitting in my living room, have to buy the other 2 on payday.

Yes you are looking for the next to impossible! :) For WIW, I have been running BFG MT's on 2 of the jeeps. I love them in the hills, etc., but I'm not a fan of them on the street. I've had some severe uneven wear issues, including one with a broken belt. In the sticks though they are great. I also ran the TrXus MT's on the cj5 on the street. They sure beat the BFG MT's. For up in the sticks, I really like the TrXus MT's too. I've bought new TrXus MT's for my Commache, as that's going to double time as a DD and hill rig. On the toyota I'm running BFG AT's. It's a very good street tire, and does pretty well to in the sticks until you get into muddy stuff. However the sidewall doesn't compare with the TrXus MT's. I'm pretty much set on a set of the Toyo Open Countrys for the toyota. I have several friends down here running them and they love them. In fact I haven't run into anyone yet that didn't like them.

If you are going to sipe the tires on your DD, you are gonna eat them up in a hurry. Specially if you are locked in the rear.

My honest two-bit comment to you for your rig would be to get two sets of tires and rims. Get one set of tires for streeting, and the other for the sticks. Good tires for the sticks cost too much to burn them up on the street, and besides they don't really make good street tires either. Mild street tires will last you much longer on the street than running off-roaders. Your vehicle is built up to the point that you'd be much happier with an aggressive tire for off-road use. You aren't going to be happy with a compromise really. :)

Matt98XJ said:
I'm going to be the guinea pig for the Mickey Thompson MTZ's. I have 2 sitting in my living room, have to buy the other 2 on payday.

I'll be needing new tires shortly, and was thinking of trying these. www.4wd.com has a pretty good price on them, and free shipping for the month of June...

coltrain said:
I'll be needing new tires shortly, and was thinking of trying these. www.4wd.com has a pretty good price on them, and free shipping for the month of June...
How do you mount those seats on your rims? :huh:

well i went around town and looked at a few tires today. I looked at the Interco TSL SX, the Toyo MT and the Wrangler MTR's Im still looking for someone that has a Truxus, but so far no luck.

The biggest thing i was concerned about was the lugs (or lack thereof) on the corner between the tread and sidewall. As soon as the XJ goes full droop you have no lugs with anything except the SX, i don't know if the truxus are the same or not.

So am i crazy by thinking that this is an issue? Remember im locked front and rear so yeah that corner at full droop still helps.

Dingo

Back