• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please help MJ Spittin' and Sputterin'

cncman

NAXJA Forum User
I picked up a 1988 comanche with a blown motor for free from my father. While looking for an engine i ended up getting a 94 H.O from my uncles shop for $50.00 with around 30,000 on it. I got it all swapped in and hooked up but damn this thing runs terrible. it idles at about 450 and shakes all over while billering out brown smoke when you give it some gas. I am positive the firing order is correct and am pretty sure everything is hooked up,but maybe i'm missing something the engine is for a auto but the truck is a 5-speed not sure if that matters but i used the H.O injectors with the non-H.O harness. hopefully some one can help. also where is the ''MAP'' sensor i was told if that wasn't hooked up it will do what it's doing now.

cncman said:
I picked up a 1988 comanche with a blown motor for free from my father. While looking for an engine i ended up getting a 94 H.O from my uncles shop for $50.00 with around 30,000 on it. I got it all swapped in and hooked up but damn this thing runs terrible. it idles at about 450 and shakes all over while billering out brown smoke when you give it some gas. I am positive the firing order is correct and am pretty sure everything is hooked up,but maybe i'm missing something the engine is for a auto but the truck is a 5-speed not sure if that matters but i used the H.O injectors with the non-H.O harness. hopefully some one can help. also where is the ''MAP'' sensor i was told if that wasn't hooked up it will do what it's doing now.

well I see several problems

It will run like crap without the map sensor, it was mounted on the firewall behind the throttle body with a vaccum line and electrical connector running to it.

Also the ECm uses signals front the tranny for different functions. you should install an ecm from the auto and associated wiring...so you are running the renix system still or the odb?

Also the '88 injectors are rated 19.6 pounds/hour and the HO injectors are either 22 pounds/hour or 24 pounds/hour. The larger injectors may be more than the ECU can throttle back to the correct air-fuel ratio, so you're running way rich. Put the original injectors back in.

the MJ was originally a 5-speed so I swapped over the flywheel and left everything else alone,maybe i should of said that in my question but anyway it was the MAP sensor, had the wire hooked up but not the vacuum line. once that was hooked up it ran beutiful ever took it for a spin around the yard. swapping the stock injectors for the H.O seems like a logical idea so maybe i will do that as well. i'll see how it runs with the H.O injectors in it. I would like to thank you guys for helping me with this problem or i might of given it back to my dad barely running.

Back