• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

play in the rear wheels

Dfete1

NAXJA Forum User
I jacked up the rearend today and both wheels slide in and out about 1/8". This is probably the reason for my rearend noise. What should I do? As soon as I get this taken care of, I'm planning a lift.

What kind of noise is it?

My 8.25 had at least that much movement, it is normal. There is some room between the cross shaft, c-clip, and spider gear for movement.

The noise comes on noticabley at around 30 and gets louder with speed. Once up to speed it's not as bad , but if you gas it it gets loud again. And coasting it pretty loud. It sound like it's louder on driver side.

What kind of noise is it?

Grinding
Squeeking
Rumbling
A throbbing rumble
metal on metal
ticking
growling
high pitched
low pitched
steady
thumping
etc...

I guess it would kinda be a rumble that starts off low pitched and get higher and louder when gaining speed. It seems like I can find a sweet spot on throttle and it won't be as noticable.

don't forget that if you have recently lifted your vehicle without a SYE, then that could be a source of your noise. If it sounds more like a grinding, could be that.

Soo that begs the questions:

- How much lift if any?
- How many miles?
- Stock gears or aftermarket? Aftermarkets for the 8.25 are noisier.
- More on acceleration, deceleration, or both?

It does vibrate a little, but I put all new u-joints on already. Trying to cure this same problem. I opened up the diff. and the teeth look sharp and there was no metal on the magnet. I filled it back up with fluid and no difference.

Back