• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

placement of electronic crossover

sartor

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I've just purchased a pair of front door speakers that I found on sale. They're the JBL MS-52C 5 1/4" component speakers with tweeters and crossovers. Crutchfield had 'em for 299, whereas amazon had 'em for 199. Sweet savings! They'd better sound good!

I'm driving a 2001 Cherokee, and i believe both the front door AND the rear roof speakers are 5 1/4".

The new JBL speakers will fit fine, though will have to drill new screw holes and will have to use a few spacers (washers) to extend the speaker out from the door just a few millimeters in order for the window not to hit the magnet when rolled all the way down. My goal was to mount these speakers behind the door panel without having to cut the panel at all. That way when someone is peaking into the car to decide whether or not to break in, they won't see the speakers.

I do need to mount the tweeters though, and those will be mounted in that little plastic triangle in the upper front corner of the door, right at the front edge of the glass. So I guess they'll see those. Whatever. Has anyone ever mounted tweeters there? Otherwise I'll just mount them in the panel somewhere.

I was wondering where people mount the crossovers in such a project. I def. want to mount them out of sight, so thought of taping them inside the door panel, but decided that I may need access the wiring screws if anything ever needed to be changed.

Any and all tips would be appreciated.

thanks,

J

Hmmmm.....velcro. Yes, that's a good thought.
I've just read a thread on tweeter placement that I found. Looks like people have mounted them where I was thinking.

What about the crossover placement though? Any other ideal locations besides inside the door panel? Might also be an advantage to putting it inside the door panel, because then I wouldn't have to pass wires through the door into the jeep, which looks like it could be a pain in the arse.

My crossovers are in the door itself. Just used double sided tape, but velco would work too. Make sure your corssovers are moisture proof as water does get inside the door.

My tweeters I mounted where the limited trim w/ upgraded system has them. In the triangle in front of the glass.

I have 6.5s in the front of my 2000 which IIRC just drop in. I also have 6.5s in the rear, but weren't 100% drop in.

I mounted my components in the upper rear. There is plenty of space up there for the crossovers and mount the tweeters up near the seatbelt.

I mounted my components in the upper rear. There is plenty of space up there for the crossovers and mount the tweeters up near the seatbelt.

Yeah, that is where my rear crossovers are as well

I mounted my Diamond Audio crossovers under the front seats. That was the only place that would work so I could still get to them to adjust tweeter settings.

In my 95XJ I had mine under the front seats. They got dusty and a bit wet but never gave me any problems. Now in my 98 they are mounted on the B pillar buy the seat belts. They get very wet and crazy muddy so I dont expect them to last too long. If I didnt have a million more important things to get to I would move them or at least build a mud guard for them.
And I it was the same for both sides. More so now on the drivers side with the half door.

Bill

What about in the kick panel area/under dash? Maybe go to RadioCrap and pick up a couple of their project boxes ( I think thats what they are called), mount them in the box and velcro to the kick panel plastic?

I also like having them in the rear with the tweeters real close to back passengers ears so that if they piss u off u can deafen them!

Back