• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pick a rear bumper

I have the Detours SLS and love it. The quarter panel protection, frame rail tie in, left-mounted spare location, and spindle location were my biggest motivating factors. It is very well made, and I would buy again.
The only thing I have had any issue with, is that due to the back-of-the-bumper location as opposed to on top, the clamp-handle is out in the open, and hits the ground on sharp ledges. It hasn’t caused a failure, but my handle has taken a beating. I recently ordered a lower profile handle that is a bit better for that, but it is still out there. If you order one, ask for the lowest profile handle he can find.
Other than that, it is super solid. I never worry about it when it smacks the rocks. I have had a 33 and 35 spare on it for a year and a half with no issues so far.
I have no experience with the JCR bumper, but I have not heard anything but positive things from them.

The MORE products look pretty nice but are a bit out of my budget. So far I am leaning towards JCR.

Sorry I haven't been able to jump back on the thread for a few days. I was up at our cabin enjoying some peace and quiet.

Anyone had any major mounting issues with any of these, beyond the usual scrapes and scratches?

Hey Thumbtack that is a nice clean bumper. Do you have a name and number?

I have the JCR stage 3 with the new billet spindle. Its a stout bumper. I didn't run into major issues when installing it. You may need to use some washers on the bolts to get the angle of the bumper just right. mine leans in just a little and contacts the plastic over the license plate holder.

I'll vote for the JCR Stage III. This isn't to knock Detours' quality in any way, but having seen the JCR in action and the type of abuse it stood up to, I'm sold. It's on the list for next year's upgrades.

One thing I will add as a general comment: I dislike bumpers that mount the tyre carrier to the rear face of the bumper - it just seems like that's the most vulnerable location that could be chosen for it. Because of this, Custom 4x4 Fabrication, Detours, et. al. were pretty much immediately dropped from consideration.

They are pretty awesome bumpers but detours makes a good product too!

One thing to consider if you are looking at Tire Carriers is the size and quality of the spindle setup. The ol' trailer spindle setup just doesn't cut it. Poly Bushings can't hold the weight and Heims are not a strong enough option either.

We recently switched ours to a new design that is unquestionable the strongest and high quality spindle on the market. The main spindle is machined billet steel, using larger timken roller bearings. You won't break this.

tubedoors.jpg

More info: http://www.jcroffroad.com/carrierspindle.html

Mine is still holding up great guys. Thanks! The bearings move with ease and the latch needs just a shot of WD40 occasionally and it works great. One thing I would change is possibly putting a slot on the bumper mounting holes on the tie-ins other than that its great! I think the new spindle makes Hale Jealous though! :D

Looked at the Logan's bumper site. Nice and definitley worth considering for my build. Thanks

Whatever you get, It needs to use the factory 8 bolts, and at LEAST the 10 trailer hitch bolts. I have a c4x4 bumper, and it only used the 8, plus the first 2 on each side of the hitch.

This didn't cut it, the whole bumper would wobble, and part of my crossmember started to crack.

When it comes to swing out tire carriers, the spindle pin is one of the most important things to look at. We fix or get asked to fix a cheap swing out carrier on someone's rig at least once a week. When you start with a cheap small hinge, heim, or spindle bearing with a little bit of play in it, it is only a matter of time til it is loose and moves back and forth until it falls off!!!!

We have found there are only two companies out there that build a strong setup with a high quality oversize spindle pin that can handle oversize tires on and offroad, Rockhard and JCRoffroad. We have installed and used both and both are equally as high quality. Rockhard has a very nice latch mechanism and spring loaded lockout pin to keep the carrier open when it is opened.

Even though we are a Rockhard dealer I still opted for the JCR for my own rig because I liked the design and overall strength and styling. I did still weld on a Rockhard lockout pin that we keep in stock. I would recommend either.

When it comes to swing out tire carriers, the spindle pin is one of the most important things to look at. We fix or get asked to fix a cheap swing out carrier on someone's rig at least once a week. When you start with a cheap small hinge, heim, or spindle bearing with a little bit of play in it, it is only a matter of time til it is loose and moves back and forth until it falls off!!!!

We have found there are only two companies out there that build a strong setup with a high quality oversize spindle pin that can handle oversize tires on and offroad, Rockhard and JCRoffroad. We have installed and used both and both are equally as high quality. Rockhard has a very nice latch mechanism and spring loaded lockout pin to keep the carrier open when it is opened.

Even though we are a Rockhard dealer I still opted for the JCR for my own rig because I liked the design and overall strength and styling. I did still weld on a Rockhard lockout pin that we keep in stock. I would recommend either.

Great information thanks for the input. Looks like I will be going with AJs for the front and JCR seems to be a winning pick for the rear. My main concern is the weight of any tire and wheel I carry on the rear bumper and the resilience of the carrier. I really have not looked at the Rockhard bumper but will take a look at their setup as well. JCR has a new and improved pin and everyone does seem to like the quality of the company’s product. They also are willing to take the time to get on the forum and help the little guy (i.e. me) in making choices.

Whatever you get, It needs to use the factory 8 bolts, and at LEAST the 10 trailer hitch bolts. I have a c4x4 bumper, and it only used the 8, plus the first 2 on each side of the hitch.

This didn't cut it, the whole bumper would wobble, and part of my crossmember started to crack.

Thanks for the info I will definitely look at the bumper to unibody mounting.

I know it's not either brand you asked about but I've had a Durango 4x4 bumper/tire carrier for a few years now and love it. Very tough, never had any rattles, and still looks good after being abused.

I like staang's fab one better but I'm a bit partial. All I buy is staangs fab stuff since the first bumper I bought from them.

www.staangsfab.com He can build a tire carrier too if you want. They are currently working on an extreme approach angle front bumper which I'll be picking up for my latest XJ.

We have considered it, however we are taxing the supplier for enough for our bumpers being ordered. We are in the process of getting a very large order made, so at that point we will probably offer them. However, they are far from cheap! They would probably run around $110, which isn't far off our actual cost. :gag:
That's not a bad deal at all for a truly reliable mount :thumbup:

Back