• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Performance ignition stuff

I'm running the firepower kit (wires/coil/ cap n rotor)from qtec for about 6 years or so it's been working flawless. I used die electric grease in the plug wire boots ect.

I have run the Accel Super-tune kit in my Renix XJ. No issues.
Some Carquest premium, or better plug wires. NGK plugs, stock replacement coil.
Other than doing a different motor swap, the system is built well from the factory.

So is anyone running any performance or aftermarket stuff?

Coil?
Distributor?
Wires?
Multi-Spark (MSD)?

I run a MSD replacement coil.

There is no "performance" distributor for these. OK, yes MSD makes a dizzy but since everything is controlled by the ECU, there is nothing to be gained here.

Stock replacement wires are fine.

Multi-spark - these old tractor motors don't gain anything from MSD. Yes, you will hear how MSD's can clean up idle issues, but so will the correct spark plugs and good quality ignition components on a good running engine. If your engine is worn out, MSD may help clean up your idle a bit. But as for a HP adder, you will get nothing. If you are going to add one as your plan for gaining HP, then make sure you add a TB spacer too because you want as much HP as you can get.

This information is based on many years of racing Jeeps and playing on the dyno with different combinations.

I've never noticed any real gains from ignition "upgrades". I've installed entire MSD systems on cars and felt nothing but lighter in the wallet. If you notice any improvement in idle, it usually means the parts you pulled off were worn out or faulty.

I'm running some Taylor plug wires because I got them for cheap, but the coil, distributor, and the plugs are all OEM spec. I'd save my money for something useful.

you can get an accel dist. cap at oreilly or autozone for $2 more than their low end crappy caps. they have to special order it, but it has copper contacts.

stock stuff works really good unless you are force inducting. I ran a tune up kit from summit racing because it had good copper terminals and 8.5mm wires and some champion copper plugs

I had an Accel coil fail within a year(would be hard to keep idling and wouldn't rev over 3k when failed) and had a new MSD fail in 100'(after the stroker had eaten a stock Federal Mogul timing set and testing the new Rollmaster). I currently have a BWD.

Accel wires, rotor and cap are all good. Accel coil worked for a few years then died, Delphi coil bad out of the box, now I have a Standard brand coil and its been working great. I plan to try a Screamin' Demon at some point but its pretty low on the priority list at the moment.

Back