• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

People in Wilmington, NC

00Classic

NAXJA Forum User
We are heading over to Wilmington for the weekend and if my memory is good, there use to be a place to wheel on the beach just south of there. Trying to figure if I should drive the Jeep or not with gas being as high as it is.

You can drive on Carolina Beach, not much wheeling, but a little bit of fun. Carolina beach is about 15-25min down South College/Carolina Beach Road.

Its been about 6 years since I have been to Wilmington. We were in Fayetville for work and went for a couple weekend trips. I remembered seeing a place to drive out on the beach but could not remember if I had the right town. Didn't think it would be to much fun but it is exuse to put the XJ in 4wd.

Also Ft. Fischer (sp) down past Carolina Beach, they charge a beach access fee now but its fun.

There is Carolina Beach(north end) and Ft. Fischer(south end). I think they are both 10 bucks for a day pass. Usually Ft. Fischer is less crowded than Carolina Beach. I guess the north end is the "cool" place to hangout. *shrugs* I prefer more space so I go to Ft. Fischer.

That main difference between the two is that the one on the south end, Ft. Fischer, you have to be out by dark and it costed me 15 bucks last time I went up to Kure Beach. The one on the north end, Carolina Beach, is friggin awesome because you pay 10 bucks from the time you pay until 10 oclock the next morning. You can stay out there all night, build a fire, get drunk, camp, etc. Lots of fun! I have a ball everytime I go down there. I spent half the night pulling people thru the sand that thought they could go out there in there lil Amigos. Make sure you air down! It makes a difference!

lowrange2 said:
That main difference between the two is that the one on the south end, Ft. Fischer, you have to be out by dark and it costed me 15 bucks last time I went up to Kure Beach. The one on the north end, Carolina Beach, is friggin awesome because you pay 10 bucks from the time you pay until 10 oclock the next morning. You can stay out there all night, build a fire, get drunk, camp, etc. Lots of fun! I have a ball everytime I go down there. I spent half the night pulling people thru the sand that thought they could go out there in there lil Amigos. Make sure you air down! It makes a difference!

Sounds like a lot of fun. Grew up wheeling in Silver Lake Sand Dunes in MI and playing on the dunes in Florence, OR. How loose is the sand? Most beaches I have played on reallty don't have loose sand. Are you talking 12psi or just airing down a little.

I live in wilmington march is not a bad time to go to the beach. No one is there this time of year. pm me and ill bring the beer

Of course, the sand it packed more towards to water. It gets pretty loose up near the dunes. I've never been on any real dunes but it's nothing like that. Theres not a whole lot of wheel to be done. The speed limit is like 10 mph but it's fun hangin out around the fire there. I can't wait to get back out there.

lowrange2 said:
Make sure you air down! It makes a difference!
LOL! Yea it does, but I never aired down in the sugar sand of FL.

las time I was there I was riding on 5#s. Riding right past all the stuck people. Sand sucks gas!

I had my rail buggy out there last time and had a ball. I was haulin ass skippin across the tops of the bumps... Ridding right past people.

Back