• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating/Tuning HELP! . . . PLEASE!

kennzz05:

The cap and rotor were replaced about two years ago with the D.U.I Firepower Ignition Kit...

The electric fan was one of the first things we verified.... all is good there....

I have an appointment with my local 4x4 shop on Friday so they can run a full diagnostic test and overall checkup on the Jeep. I have already made plans to have them install the exhaust system (header and all) simply because the entire system is in need of some TLC... let alone the cat seeming to be the ultimate culprit to this whole mess. I have had a couple other people suggest that if I proceed with the exhaust system, that I should probably update the o2 sensors at the same time, considering they have the same age/miles as the exhaust (150K, 10 years).

If they test the injectors and find something faulty, I will then proceed with the injector change, but if they come up with a "clean bill of health" so to speak for the injectors, I will move on...

hubs97xj:

Were Cool :)

The below text is taken from "Dr. Dyno's" Tech page:

Model Year, ...Part #, ......Colour, .....Fuel Pressure, ...Static Flow,
'87-'90, ........53003956, ...Black, ........39psi, .................18.6lb/hr
'91-'93, ........33007127, ...Brown, .......39psi, .................21.0lb/hr
'94-'95, ........53030343, ...Tan, ...........39psi, .................21.0lb/hr
'96-'99, ........53030778, ...Grey, .........49psi, .................23.2lb/hr
'00-'01, ........04854181, ...Blue tip, .....49psi, .................22.5lb/hr

Mine being a 1998 the part # is 53030778... is this what you have?

Ah, negative. Mine are 04854181. They could be made to work, but I didn't see the point in making them work for me. One more variable and all that...

Thanks for the offer though... I have priced out a new set through fiveomotorsports.com.... looks like $220 for brand new ones.... when it comes down to it, i think i would prefer installing a new set just to ensure that i start with a clean slate...

I have my install at the muffler shop on Tuesday, and I plan to post a bunch of pics into this tread with my impressions.... i hope to show the poor condition of the current exhaust system and I plan to cut open the Cat to see for myself if there was in fact a serious blockage...

The list of fixes this week include... new gibson exhaust header, high flow cat, flowmaster 10 series delta force muffler, 2.5" pipe throughout, 62mm throttle body and new fuel injectors...

I appreciate everyones help/opinions regarding my issues.... I can't wait to see/feel the difference.

Had my installation at "Bud's Muffler" in Denver, Colorado and the installation took well over 10 hours! The mechanic working on it said that the installation of the header was a huge pain in the ass! He was thankful when it was in and he could concentrate on bending pipe :) Below are a series of pictures that were taken along the way.... My overall impression will be posted near the end of this posting..... enjoy, and thanks to all who posted their thoughts. Troubleshooting this issue has been a LONG work in progress for me so thanks to all!

When the cat was off the Jeep, as you lifted/turned/looked inside you could feel/hear/see a LOUD banging around of multiple pieces of broken "honeycomb filter" from inside the cat... also, there was a lot of rattling coming from the muffler, which the mechanic believes was pieces of honeycomb that worked there way into the muffler. More or less confirming that the cat/muffler was to blame for the excessive overheating I was experiencing.

This is a comparison of the old and the new Catalytic Converter and Flowmaster 10 Series Delta Flow muffler.....

standard.jpg

This next picture was a comparison of the factory header and the Gibson header.... got to the shop too late to take a "true" side by side comparison photo of the header... but this shows how different the pipes are ran and collected...

orig.jpg

This photos shows the crack that was found on the lower collector of the factory header...

standard.jpg

Below shows what the muffler looks like installed... using 2 1/2" pipe throughout....

standard.jpg

This shows the cat and muffler installed...

standard.jpg

I picked up my jeep after the above was installed.... I drove it home and by the time I got there (10 miles) I had a serious headache. The resonance and vibrations I was getting inside the cab was a little too much for me to handle. The next morning I called Bud's Muffler and explained my concerns. Bud recommended some type of "resonator" to help alleviate the resonance. Sure enough, they installed an 18" resonator in front of the muffler and it virtually eliminated all of the resonance and "drone" in the cab. Below is a pic of the exhaust with the resonator installed....

standard.jpg

I was able to barrow a video camera a take a couple videos of the jeep after the exhaust install. The quality and sound aren't great but in person it sounds awesome. The sound is not terribly loud but very smooth with very little if any resonance inside.

*NOTE* you will have to download the following links in order to view...

http://www.fototime.com/8A528F439717386/conv.wmv

http://www.fototime.com/EEF401DE82BD1BA/conv.wmv

My overall impressions of the install are that they seem to have fixed the original problem, which was the excessive overheating. I love the sound and the performance gains I have achieved. This Saturday I'm installing new fuel injectors from fiveomotorsports.com and a custom tuned ECU performance chip form "Unichip"... If the results are good I will post a thread about the install and performance gains.

THANK YOU! to everyone who posted reply's to my original post.... I valued every opinion I got and I truly thank you for helping me with this issue.

Well I got a little carried away with my impressions of the new exhaust system. The performance gains have not been what I was expecting. There seems to be a loss of power on the low end.... and this morning I filled up with gas, noted my mileage and compared my average miles per gallon with that of the past 8 months... a 3.3 mpg LOSS!!!! It was then that I new something was wrong.

I had a few people tell me that the exhaust I was putting on would cause some torque loss, but to my own detriment I was so focused on the 2.5" pipe throughout I didn't do enough research to follow up with there opinions.

Well I have an appointment at the muffler shop to have the problem fixed. They are putting in 2.25" from the header down to just before the cat then keep the 2.5" from there on... I hope it makes a difference.

I will post my NEW impressions after that.....

It's always something with these Jeep's isn't it?

Back