• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Our 2012 SRT8 Grand Cherokee (WK2)

LOL....... Jim and Mike bring the phunnay........ :thumbup:

Ok could somebody please explain why an auto manufacturer would line the inner fender wells with a felt-like material????

Had no problems last winter but this winter the slush and snow is REALLY sticking and building up in the fender wells bad. Seems to me the felt is providing an excellent surface for the stuff to cling and freeze to..... Like the belly of a sheepdog dragging in the deep snow.

Couple weeks back it was so bad the SRT8 had NO suspension/wheel travel upwards and couldn't turn the wheels after the wife spent an hour driving on the highway to work...... Literally the tires were rubbing on the packed and polished ice build up.....

WTF were they thinking?

Likely sound dampening. My wife's Audi has it too. It is used on the nicer cars like the Grands and 300's. The cheap stuff like darts just have hard plastic fender liners.

Well this sucks....

Made a run out to get dinner and back, pulled into the driveway and was suddenly surrounded by a white thick cloud of steam.

Pop the hood and find this:

IMG_20140411_204606660_zpsh3mjbfbf.jpg

The belt and pump pulley wore a hole into the radiator hose. :mad:

What caused this? Friggin faulty clip ..... or some wrench monkey doing the last oil change leaned on it pushing it loose...... :flamemad:

IMG_20140411_204717133_zpsrf0sn06x.jpg

So now I gotta go get a hose and coolant tomorrow. Can't have it down over the weekend and have it towed for warranty work on Monday. Yay.

I'll be securing that clip with a small screw to ensure this doesn't happen again....:rolleyes"

Better that it let go in your driveway rather than on 85 or some other busy a$$ road.

Yep. Given that it's my wife's daily driver, that's exactly what coulda happened.

Here's the carnage:

IMG_20140412_152545528_HDR_zpsofjmrihz.jpg

Here's the zip tie fastener Jeep sent with the new hose as the "fix" for the weak clip...... Nay nay.

IMG_20140412_152710417_zpsm2xj8pjx.jpg

My fix. Ain't going anywhere. :thumbup:

IMG_20140412_134053255_zpsdmrbiu7i.jpg

Last edited:
Brake dust has been a constant aggrevation but obviously it comes with buying a performance vehicle of this caliber.......

Thanks to Elguapo having posted about Plasti-Dip vehicle coating, I was on that website and they offer a brake dust cleaner product that sure promises the moon.

It's called BDP offered by the Plasti-Dip guys. The videos and reviews were exceptional so I ordered up a bottle. Got it the other day and the SRT8's wheels were nice and grimey.

The product:

IMG_20140802_182259425_HDR_zpsrjfbt3kc.jpg

Before:

IMG_20140802_182321179_zpsdbhobomk.jpg

IMG_20140802_182336816_zpscgvxbupa.jpg

Sprayed on, let sit for 3-4 minutes and pressure washed:

IMG_20140802_184800821_zpsrxd14p5x.jpg

Now....... the company claims the product will get your wheels "surgically clean". Not exactly, but still VERY impressive, especially how clean it got the calipers. I'm more than happy with it and will be buying a case of the stuff soon.

Normally, a good cleaning of the wheels required a Mr. Clean Stain Eraser pad and follow up with a microfiber towel. After using the BDP this is all I got off of the 4 wheels:

IMG_20140802_184544522_zpsv21qwwk4.jpg

That's a BA truck Troy!
How does this stuff compare to the store bought "wheel cleaners"
BTW. I got my Plasti Dip kit in the mail. Almost time to get at it

I tried every damn spray on brake dust removal product on the market. Nothing works, not even a little. The Mr. Clean Stain Eraser was the only thing that would get the stuff off, but that took elbow grease.

This BDP stuff is amazing really. Turns deep purple as it's working and you can just see the stuff run off. Again, I wouldn't agree with their sales pitch of it getting wheels "surgically clean" but it does work impressively.

Of course, it's 3x as pricey as the non-working other products........ $30 / bottle. I think I'd be able to get 6-8 cleanings out of a bottle, especially when the wheels aren't as grimy as they were for this posting.

Yes. However, these are Brembo brand brakes. There's only one aftermarket manufacturer making replacements that offer ceramic reduced brake dust (Hawk's performance).

Fortunately, I'll be buying those as they're cheaper than Brembo replacements. The dealer wants over $900 for a front brake job, $1300 for all 4 corners........ :eek:

Last edited:
Time to throw silly money at the SRT8.......

The Yokohama Paradas have worn down to the wear bars. They're rated for 28K miles, got about 24K miles out of them. If it weren't for us allowing the alignment to be off for a bit too long, we probably could have gotten the 28K but we wore the inside shoulders down on the front tires. Not too bad I suppose, considering......

Wifey just isn't happy with the winter performance of the Yokos so we had to throw down on a set of Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow's. The ONLY snow tire available in 295/45 vr20. Sale price: $325 each (normally $365 and last year they were $415). With shipping and road hazard, the set was $1570.... ouch. Got 'em off the truck today... they just look HUGE when they aren't under the car. They're a 30" tire.

IMG_20140911_180318741_zpsgl0cckzh.jpg

Since I snagged a second set of new SRT8 Grand wheels off Craigslist last year, we'll likely buy another set of the Yokos and swap them out each winter. The Yokos are only $152 each. Maybe we can get more mileage out of these by swapping out.

Next will be front brakes. Jeep wants $900-ish to do the fronts using Brembo pads and rotors. R1 Concepts does brakes for performance and racing vehicles and has recently stepped up to offer their cross drilled and slotted rotors and Hawk Ceramic brake pads for the Brembo system for $435 shipped. Reviews of this combination are excellent and brake dust is greatly reduced.

pds58003-2.jpg

192135-lg.jpg

They weren't kidding.... ya gotta pay if ya wanna play....... :looney:

Last edited:
Imagine if you regularly tracked the vehicle. Adds up. You auto crossing it?
I am considering selling my samurai to fund a mazda miata for road racing.

Imagine if you regularly tracked the vehicle. Adds up. You auto crossing it?
I am considering selling my samurai to fund a mazda miata for road racing.

After seeing what an afternoon of 3-mile road course did to a set of tires on the 5200 lb SRT8 Grands last week at V.I.R. (new tires at the beginning of the day, 20% left at the end)......... I can't afford the tires to go play on the track.

Auto Cross might be do-able but again, I need a set of tires to thrash on - the wife would be pissed if I went scrubbing on the new Pirellis..... :laugh:

I gotta figure out how to transfer the racing video from my SRT8 trip to a format that I can host and post. Some cool stuff.

You wanna polish these wheels? I sure don't. They're hard enough to clean.

Theres a thread over on cherokeeSRT8.com about the brake dust issue. A guy did try some sort of polish on sealer....said it created static cling and the dust stuck worse....:dunno:

That BDP stuff works so, nah. I won't waste time polishing.

Back