• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME v RE v DPG v Rustys v PORC springs/kits

kooter

NAXJA Forum User
OME v BDS v RE v DPG v Rustys v PORC springs/kits

okay.....been lurkin and reading and learning, and ready to give my 92 XJ laredo approx 4.5" of lift and 32x11.50s or 33x10.50s on 15x8 steelies with 4" b.s. so I can take my DD on the trail once a month or so. (gearing will change as necc. after lifting)

Whats the deal with these manufacturer's?! Did I leave any other brands out worth noting? Who likes what, and why?

My priorities are durability and budget. I have a mortgage and diapers to buy, so unfortunately I don't have money coming out my tailpipe. (my daughter's tailpipe has a continual sludge buildup leakage........anyways...) I don't want to have to redo this rig in the near distant future, but I also don't want to pay for over-hyped BS marketing department's salaried advertising chump to make cool logos to put on stickers for the corp.'s propaganda either. =)

I figured I would just buy the coil/leaf springs, and pick up the rest of the parts individually/used/trade/barter/beg/steal/rob/hi-jack or however else. I also don't want to mess with spacers or shackles unless for leveling, so I'd just assume purchase springs that are a full 4.5".

Sounds like I need an adjustable trac-bar, longer brake lines, and control arms.
What determines if I get the upper or the lower arm adjustable and the other non-adj?? I understand caster and pinion angles, but still don't know if I get the upper adjustable or the lower adj. I really just want to use stock arms with DB's. Is that stupid? should I just go buy an Xterra and be cool instead? lol

TC drop need not apply unless DW vibes deem it neccessary.

thanks jeepers!

peas out

oh ya....I guess I need shocks too, by the time this is all done I'll prolly just get JC whitney's Shoc-o-matic 999thousand gold bond medicated powder shock. Theyre sweet, my bro's got em and they rock.

Last edited:
Well, first of all, with 4.5" (correct me if I'm wrong guys) you WILL need Upper and Lower control arms. Your best bet in my opionion, is to buy a kit that comes with everything, i.e. the RE6130...4.5 springs, full leaf packs, adj. trac bar, UCA's, LCA's brake lines, blah blah blah.....now OME rides really nice, but the only way to get a 4.5" OME lift is to do a hybrid, mixed with other parts....from what I've heard, DPG is your best bet there. But, IMO, it sounds like the best thing overall for you, would be to get something that comes with everything, like the RE6130.

Check out 4x4groupbuy.com.....he has one on there with OME shocks included for right at $1000+shipping.

I'm running DPG Trail Gunner 5" coils with RE spring packs. I liked the RE coils that I previously had, they were just too hard for me. The DPG ones seem to be a bit softer. The ride in the front seems to be smoother (True that it can be attributed to my shock change along with new coils). I have a 3.5" pack with 1.5" TnT shackles, it's pretty damn even, if you can I'd pick up RE 4.5" packs if you do actually choose to go with DPG coils.

Don't trust me on anything when it comes to short arms, I bought some long arms and never looked back.

TC drop or SYE will almost definitely be needed.

I'd also look into some shims for the rear, I think mine are 6 degree? :dunno:

You don't need arms if you use drop brackets, but you'll need the drop brackets at the same time you lift it or you'll have death wobble.

You really need to lurk and read more.

If you're on a budget....

Buy used coils. If they're a little tall, cut them down. You'll want them stiffer anyway.

At 4.5", you'll need an adjustable trackbar of some kind. Don't cheap out here. Don't relocate either end with a spacer or what-not.

You might get away with a higher clearance slip yoke instead of a t-case drop...but you'll probably need both.

In the rear, do some kind of bastard pack. I'd say cut in a full XJ pack with a 1.5" shackle and a 1" block and you'll love it. Really good leaves are expensive. You'll want to change them later anyway so save up for stage two. Unless you can find some used leaf packs...

If you're going with 32's or 33's, and you re-gear, go with 4.56's. You'll get much better economy and power.

After building 4 XJ's, I miss my third one. It was about what you're looking to do. Wouldn't you know...here's a pic.

94XJGrayontopofmntn.jpg

passxj said:
You really need to lurk and read more.

Thanks but no thanks. I'm no genius but I can figure out what's needed or not needed to lift my jeep 4.5". I guess what I was more interested in was opinions/experiences with the brands listed in the subject line.

From what I gather Rusty's has been around for 20 yrs or so, and the peeps that make their packs are the same ones that make Rancho , Fabtech & Rubicon Express' springs. BUT....it seems most jeepers here don't like em. WHY? looking for input there.

RE seem like the gold standard. A little pricey but worth it in the long run?! They seem like you can't go wrong with them. Anyone out there vouch that?

PORC are unknown? I hardly see anyone talk about PORC springs. their coils are one benny for a pair, so they fit the budget but do they fit the reliability/durability bill?

DPG have good rep here too, and I don't hear much about OME.

Yes, I'm on a budget, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to drop a grand to do this right. I'm just not going to cough up for a candy-coated skyjaacker lift.

Thankyou to you other fellas who shared your too sense.
:lecture:

I will probably be flamed, but look at Rough Country. I am very happy with their 3" lift that I installed. Budget conscience choice. I was torn between the RE 3.5 and the RC kit. i do not feel like I cheated myself at all with the cheaper kit. Just do not buy a RC kit from JC whitney. Call Jason at Rough Country.

I bought RE 3.5" rear springs and I think they are too stiff. I run them with .75" lift boomerang shackles from T&T, and I still don't get newar the rear flex that my friend does with his high-mile stock springs and blocks.

My front springs are 4.5" Rusty's and I love them. They are nice and flexy, and the price is right.

That's my experiences anyway. I'm struggling with ways to get the rear to loosen up a little without scrapping $350 worth of RE springs I am not happy with....

If you'd read the rest of my post.....oops! I left out that you'll need new lower control arms.

I have 4.5" RE leaf packs and they've sagged to about 3-3.5" lift in about 7500 miles. I think they're decent quality. They're not HIGH quality.

There is no way you're going to lift it right with quality parts and re-gear it for a grand...Especially if you need tires and wheels.

No, Rusty makes his own stuff...including springs if I'm not mistaken.

On his website it states: "As for comparion, our springs are manufactured by the same company that makes Rancho , Fabtech & Rubicon Express' springs."

If you'd read the rest of my post.....oops! I left out that you'll need new lower control arms.

I have 4.5" RE leaf packs and they've sagged to about 3-3.5" lift in about 7500 miles. I think they're decent quality. They're not HIGH quality.

There is no way you're going to lift it right with quality parts and re-gear it for a grand...Especially if you need tires and wheels.

You need to read more. My post was asking questions about lift springs/kits, not tires/wheels/gears. I am looking at $1k for the lift only. :shiver:

kooter said:
I am looking at $1k for the lift only. :shiver:

In light of this NEW information, I would say Deavers, Alcans, or DPG Tailgunners. You would also want to look at Big-Off Roads leaf springs. These will be the best quality springs for the height you want.

The cheaper springs are just that....cheaper.

Front:
I run Skyjacker coils and like them. Rusty's is supposed to be a fairly soft spring rate. OME has a great reputation for a good ride, especially if you use their shocks too. Rubicon Express coils are good stuff but will probably give you more than the advertised lift height. Heard good things about DPG coils, but that they were on the stiff end of the spectrum.

Rear:
Rustys has the reputation of being the softest full leaf pack, and that's what I'd buy if you want new leaf springs. RE springs always sit high in the beginning and are stiffer than Rustys. I ran 3" Skyjacker add-a-leaves in the rear of mine for 3-4 years and it held up, and flexed well, but rode a little stiff. I now run a full S-10 leaf pack in the rear with an extra s-10 main cut down and added in as an AAL. I love the way it rides. You could also check out the Full Traction add-a-leaves, as they add 2 thinner leaves to each pack vs. one thick leaf. DPG leaves are on the stiff side but haven't heard many reports of people running them yet.

Last edited:
kooter said:
On his website it states: "As for comparion, our springs are manufactured by the same company that makes Rancho , Fabtech & Rubicon Express' springs."

Ok, let's say that you're right...just because they're made by the same company doesn't mean they're the same quality. Just like cars....you've got a chevrolet cavalier (made by GM) and then on the other end you got a Cadillac CTS (also made by GM). Both are made by GM, but the cavalier is a piece-o-crap compared to the Cadi!!!

xj92 said:
Front:
I run Skyjacker coils and like them. Rusty's is supposed to be a fairly soft spring rate. OME has a great reputation for a good ride, especially if you use their shocks too. Rubicon Express coils are good stuff but will probably give you more than the advertised lift height. Heard good things about DPG coils, but that they were on the stiff end of the spectrum.

Rear:
Rustys has the reputation of being the softest full leaf pack, and that's what I'd buy if you want new leaf springs. RE springs always sit high in the beginning and are stiffer than Rustys. I ran 3" Skyjacker add-a-leaves in the rear of mine for 3-4 years and it held up, and flexed well, but rode a little stiff. I now run a full S-10 leaf pack in the rear with an extra s-10 main cut down and added in as an AAL. I love the way it rides. You could also check out the Full Traction add-a-leaves, as they add 2 thinner leaves to each pack vs. one thick leaf. DPG leaves are on the stiff side but haven't heard many reports of people running them yet.
Thanks bro!!!!!!!!!!!! Appreciate your help!

If you looking for info on Rusty's here you go:

1) Called rusty to order header, cat, flowmaster, tailpipe, pretty much complete exhaust.
2) They sent everything to the wrong address (about $700 worth of parts)
3) I called rusty on a Saturday he returned my call about 20mins later. I gave him the right address.
4) I call UPS on my own to see if he changed the address, they got the change but it was still wrong. DUH
5) I finally get the stuff put it all on with a few trips to the auto parts store.
6) Well the down pipe doesn't fit right, he claims he told me himself that the Banks down pipe would not fit without some banging and tweaking. (hits the front driveshaft)Funny thing is I placed my order with one of his employees not him so he didn't tell me anything. If I was told the thing wouldn't fit I would not have bought it knowing I was installing it laying on my back in the drive way.
7) I call Rusty to tell him the problem. He tells me I told you it wouldn't fit, so we went back and forth a few mins. I finally ask him what are we going to do to fix the problem this is my DD. He agree's to send a stock pipe and take this one back.
8) Still haven't seen the pipe he promised!!!!!

Now I know parts don't always fit right, I've worked on cars for years but to have someone argue with you and tell you it's not on right or I told you it wouldn't fit blah blah blah SUCKS. He still hasn't come through for me.

So if you were looking for a personal experience dealing with Rusty there you go. Seems many other people have had the same treatment. i would stay away from Rusty's

Back