• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Olympus Offroad - Anyone bought from them?

blistovmhz

NAXJA Forum User
Ordered a winch line from them over a month ago. They kept saying it'll ship in a few days, then a few more days, then no response for a few weeks, and last I heard (last week) the rope was drying on a rack and would be shipped out that day and I'd receive a tracking number. A week later, still no tracking info. Emailed back a few times asking whats up. Guy claims that it should have been shipped and I should've received a tracking number (and once again accuses me of not knowing how to use email). Asked him to just email the tracking info himself, he says sure, still waiting a day later.
Anyone have any GOOD experiences to report about these guys? I'm almost starting to wonder if they just went out of business or are totally bogus.

A friend of mine worked for them for a while, and after knowing all the shit the owner put him and his other employees through I'd never purchase anything from them. I have two LED bars from them and the only reason they ever got to me was because I had a man on the inside.

IMHO, call your CC company and dispute the purchase. You'll probably never see what you bought.

A friend of mine worked for them for a while, and after knowing all the shit the owner put him and his other employees through I'd never purchase anything from them. I have two LED bars from them and the only reason they ever got to me was because I had a man on the inside.

IMHO, call your CC company and dispute the purchase. You'll probably never see what you bought.

This.

Took a buddy of mine 6 months to get his light bar mounts for his JK. They are garbage

Yea, there's actually more to my history with them as well. Roomie ordered their Spidersilk 7/16 rope from them. It did show up about a month later, but it definitely isn't 7/16. I considered that their outer sheath may compress the inner rope, so I just asked Olympus support guys about this, and the guy sorta flew off the handle, didn't answer the question, and told me I could just send it back because they're the best rope in the world and it'd be sold before they even received it (are they re-selling used ropes? yikes).
I'd already ordered mine either way and told the guy to just get the rope shipped. He said it'd be shipped within' 10 days. 2 weeks later still no tracking, so I tried to call them, but their 800 number is not in service. Emailed them instead and asked about my order as well as their 800 number. They claimed my order would be shipped in a few days and that their phone system was down that day. A couple more emails like this where they haven't sent rope and claim it'll be sent soon, and that their phone system was down again (weird how it goes down every time I try to call). And now I'm almost a month and a half into the wait, and still no tracking.

Paid via paypal, so I've got something like 6 months to dispute it either way, and PP is usually pretty good about that. I'm more annoyed that I've waited 45 days with no rope on my rig. Really forces me to make better, less exciting decisions on the trail.

I really SHOULD just cancel the order, as it's a kevlar rope anyway, so it probably won't survive more than 6-12 months (kevlar fibers are very course compared to dyneema, so while their tensile strength is almost double that of dyneema, their longevity is sorta shit). Muhdunno. I guess I'll see if it's showed up today, and if not, cancel my order Monday.

I'm surprised anyone knows anyone who "worked" for them. I figured they were just a guy in a basement, drop-shipping third party gear. Do they actually have a physical shop?

yea. they have a shop in colorado.

I got a lightbar and some LED pods from them. quality was meh, but once again I know someone who worked there.

now my lightbar (less than a year old) leaks I have tried to get in touch with them, but they don't respond to email.

if you want a quality rope, get one from these guys

https://www.4lowparts.com/shop/product-category/tre-tactical-recovery-equipment/

What I'm really looking for is a synthetic line with a roughly 18k capacity, but with good abrasion resistance. I haven't found much for dyneema inner core, with kevlar or some other outer sheath, which I thin should be an obvious combination.

Well, my rope seems to have been delivered today, and the guy from Olympus fired me an email as well, with the tracking number, so I did finally get a tracking number, after the package was delivered.
We did discuss some of the technical aspects of the rope as well, and now all of a sudden he's polite and responsive (apparently he read this thread, which he did mention in his last email). He apologized profusely for the delay, etc.

Anyhow, I'll have it on my truck tonight and hopefully get to use it to get me out of a few bad decisions before the end of the week.
The guy I was speaking to (from Olympus) did address some of my technical questions re: the rope. It is a Kevlar/Dyneema/Urethane blend, though he wasn't sure of the exact composition of either the core or the outer casing, other than the core being mostly Dyneema, and the casing being more Kevlar/Urethane, which is sorta what I was hoping for. I'm still not sure I like the idea of Kevlar being blended with the Dyneema. Just intuitively, Kevlar being a course fibre, it seems like the Dyneema would have better longevity without the Kevlar blended in, but at the same time, the Kevlar also massively increases the load capacity of the Dyneema. Whether the decision to blend both together for the core was a balancing act between total load capacity vs. internal abrasion resistance, I've no idea. I suppose I wouldn't be surprised if the addition of the Kevlar increases the strength enough that there's less internal friction through stretching, that it all cancels out. Who knows.

Either way, just the fact that the guy knew some of the technical details of their product, makes me a little more confident that it'll hold up. Still not impressed with the wait, and not getting a tracking number until after delivery, but I understand that shit gets ****ed up from time to time. I just wanted to post this because "all data is good data". I may be the odd man out with a less than stellar experience here. No idea. Time will tell with regards to the product quality. I figure any abrasion resistance at all has gotta extend the real world service life of a synthetic rope, as failures are almost always due to external abrasion.

yea. they have a shop in colorado.

I got a lightbar and some LED pods from them. quality was meh, but once again I know someone who worked there.

now my lightbar (less than a year old) leaks I have tried to get in touch with them, but they don't respond to email.

Do they still have a shop? Last I heard that was gone too. Thankfully, my 2.5 year old light bar (I got a pro series) doesn't leak, but the powder coat is shot. No matter, it matches the rest of my truck.

They do still have a 'shop' although the legality or authenticity of that has been put into question as of recent. Funny how that guy posts up on IG and other sites to get sales and then doesn't respond to basic emails.
Them having a 800 number would be a shocker. The 'company' is a one man gig unless he finds excited souls to fool for a while in a garage that does mediocre work. There have been lots of theft allegations and other stuff in regards to the owner and the shop so even as a local I stay away.

They do still have a 'shop' although the legality or authenticity of that has been put into question as of recent. Funny how that guy posts up on IG and other sites to get sales and then doesn't respond to basic emails.
Them having a 800 number would be a shocker. The 'company' is a one man gig unless he finds excited souls to fool for a while in a garage that does mediocre work. There have been lots of theft allegations and other stuff in regards to the owner and the shop so even as a local I stay away.

Hi,

Im not really sure how to respond but I was notified of this thread so I figured it at least deserved the respect of a response.

No names needed but there are a lot of random lies floating around.. most of the time the lies go unsubstantiated because my self and anybody associated are blocked and cannot respond to things so facts that are untrue are allowed to manifest primarily on Facebook groups we are not apart of. Anybody can say anything behind closed doors because there is only one side of the story. The work my guys do is solid and I will gladly back that up with anything. but never the less I am not here to argue anything or create any drama.. just felt it is fair to respond. We switched our 800 number and now 18555Olympus [ (855) 565-9678 ] is our system. This also will soon have direct access to our 3 facilities worldwide. Olympus International LLC is solid and we are having our best Quarter on Record. Because of this we have been a little behind with some things but we are getting better. The holiday season slammed us hard and we took a little while to catch up. I am not sure in regards to any service emails but please feel free to reach out to Eric at [email protected] and he can help. I get thousands of emails a day and am very busy and yes I occasional miss emails. If you are having a service issue please let us know and we would be happy to help.

Not sure where this "theft" crap is coming from but rather than making claims it might be best to get facts before making assumptions of reality.

You can reach me direct [email protected]

To the OP - Sorry for the delay. I was informed about the situation and delay and that is more than it should be. If there is anything you would like in return for compensation for the delay or anything we can do shoot me an email direct and we can chat.

Olympus Offroad - Going Strong!

Do they still have a shop? Last I heard that was gone too. Thankfully, my 2.5 year old light bar (I got a pro series) doesn't leak, but the powder coat is shot. No matter, it matches the rest of my truck.

This would be greatly wrong. We are having our best Quarter on Record. Thank you for being a customer and if you have any issue please let us know.

Daniel

As I said. Allegations. No need to get pissy with me. I clearly stated they were allegations. Welcome to the Internet.

As I said. Allegations. No need to get pissy with me. I clearly stated they were allegations. Welcome to the Internet.

Understood and I am not mad at all... as I asked in my pm.. was more curious of the context of the "claims" You posted what you did so I asked and I have the right to ask.. Is what it is... kinda funny actually what some people think is reality.. It is on the Internet.... MUST BE TRUE!!

Last edited:
Hi,

Im not really sure how to respond but I was notified of this thread so I figured it at least deserved the respect of a response.

No names needed but there are a lot of random lies floating around.. most of the time the lies go unsubstantiated because my self and anybody associated are blocked and cannot respond to things so facts that are untrue are allowed to manifest primarily on Facebook groups we are not apart of. Anybody can say anything behind closed doors because there is only one side of the story. The work my guys do is solid and I will gladly back that up with anything. but never the less I am not here to argue anything or create any drama.. just felt it is fair to respond. We switched our 800 number and now 18555Olympus [ (855) 565-9678 ] is our system. This also will soon have direct access to our 3 facilities worldwide. Olympus International LLC is solid and we are having our best Quarter on Record. Because of this we have been a little behind with some things but we are getting better. The holiday season slammed us hard and we took a little while to catch up. I am not sure in regards to any service emails but please feel free to reach out to Eric at [email protected] and he can help. I get thousands of emails a day and am very busy and yes I occasional miss emails. If you are having a service issue please let us know and we would be happy to help.

Not sure where this "theft" crap is coming from but rather than making claims it might be best to get facts before making assumptions of reality.

You can reach me direct [email protected]

To the OP - Sorry for the delay. I was informed about the situation and delay and that is more than it should be. If there is anything you would like in return for compensation for the delay or anything we can do shoot me an email direct and we can chat.

Olympus Offroad - Going Strong!

As I said, received my rope (eventually). My point in the OP was simply to ask for feedback from other customers, as the ship date changed several times, and the first rope we'd received did not match the site description (received a little under 3/8. Site description states 7/16). There are TONS of dodgy vendors (both in big shops as well as in basements and garages), and I just wanted to make sure I'd actually receive my order.

I understand that sometimes things get ****ed up. I run a business as well, and I do occasionally **** up and an order will get misplaced. That's fine. It happens. Where this went wrong is that I waited for weeks at a time without a response, the 800 number has never worked thus far, and the tone of the first few responses received seemed sorta accusatory/deriding. When I **** up an order, un****ing it becomes my top priority. If not simply because I'm not a dick, then also because negative feedback from customers gets around very quickly. Hell, I ****ed up an order a few days ago and forgot to send half the product. The rest of the order will ship out today (the day I was notified of a problem) along with some free stuff, equal to the worth of the entire order, and it'll either be same day delivery if I can get it, or I'll deliver it personally this afternoon.
That's just how business has to be run in the age of the Internet. Companies like RC peddle mostly shit products (with the odd gem that miraculously holds up well), but their customer support is so good that very few people care. They send me a winch with a kinked cable and a noisy reduction gear, I call to ask about it, and they have a complete winch with a new synthetic line in the mail by end of day for free. I then have nothing but good things to say about them as a company and recommend them very often, with the caveat that while they're cheap and have amazing customer service, most of their products sorta suck, but that's okay because their warranty is stellar.

When I order a rope on Jan 25, and the site says it'll be shipped within' 10 days, if it hasn't shipped within' 10 days, I've come to expect that someone will email me before I complain. When I email two weeks later asking for an ETA and asking about the discrepancy between the rope diameter, I expect everything will be done to make sure my order is fired out that day, and I definitely do not expect to be told that there is no discrepancy (I was told in the first email response that the rope measures just shy of 1/2" under load, which definitely isn't true unless we'd received the wrong product).
After a month and still no tracking number, I'd be a fool to not be suspicious. When I'm assured that my order will ship the week of Feb 15, I expect to receive a tracking number that week. I did not. In fact, I never received a tracking number until the package was received by my carrier in the US, and they notified me to come pick it up, on March 7th. That's 41 days from order date to date received.

Yes, this could be the odd **** up. As it's my only my single experience with the company, I'm not about to steer anyone away from them, but I do think it's important that my experience is available online, at least as a single point of reference for someone else.

I've still not received a good explanation for the rope size discrepancy. <3/8 is not >7/16. One email, someone did say that the core is 7/16 before it is wrapped with the outer layer, but I sorta don't buy that as I've owned a lot of different rope for lots of applications, and Dyneema (and Kevlar especially) do not compress well. Certainly not from nearly 1/2" under load, to below 3/8 with a cover (as stated in email). I don't really care what diameter the rope is, so long as the stated load capacity is accurate. I'd be more annoyed if the stated diameter was 3/8 and it showed up 1/2" because that wouldn't fit on my spool. The "7/16" rope fits suspiciously well on my spool though, taking up almost a full wrap less than my last 7/16.

TL:DR.

I don't want anything in compensation. What I'd like to see is your product descriptions match reality as closely as possible, and get your 800 number up and running, and your email clients working (so they can download attachments), and your shipping ETA's held to fast.

P.S. Rope installed on Jeep and she's damned pretty. I'll post up a technical review once I've put it through some abuse.
One thing I will mention is that I really wish they'd braced the eyelet. Luckily, the eyelet is loose enough that I can probably pry it out from the rope without having to disassemble the end, so I can add a brace, because anything over a 15k pull will cause it to deform and get stuck on my hook. Does look like very nice rope though, especially for the price.

And long short, because I tend to ****ing drag everything out like a novel:

**** ups happen. I feel like this was all just a simple **** up. I'm fine with **** ups, but it could have been handled much better.

LOL! Boy, I've heard that line before... Still waiting on those "rock lights" you were going to send me for making me wait 3 months after Christmas for my Christmas gift from my wife. lol

And long short, because I tend to ****ing drag everything out like a novel:

**** ups happen. I feel like this was all just a simple **** up. I'm fine with **** ups, but it could have been handled much better.

Everything can always be better no doubt about that. Feel free to pass along any other suggestions.

In response to your question on the diameter. Im posting my response I sent in PM

When Rope is produced you purchase a specific size dy to spin the rope. For the Spidersilk the process if a little different. The dye is actually a 1/2" dye and the rope is ran through loser to allow the outer weave to be intertwined into the inner section. If you run it all together the rope would be over 1//2" thick so refining the process allows for extreme compression of the inner material. The final dye is a 7/16" die and is kept in spec via digital calipers. We do not measure each and every rope as really there is no point but with the spidersilk there is very little elongation vs our regular rope. Because the rope is compressed it may seem smaller but when you compare it to a standard 7/16 12 braid rope it may seems smaller because on a standard rope the fibers can move more and uncompress and or feel looser. To truly measure you need to put a load on the rope to set the fiber. This is why most companies tell you to "pre-stretch" the rope and we don't. There is no need as the blend we use does not have the failures of a standard dyneema rope. All in all i'm not sure if this is the explanation your looking for but out of the thousands of ropes we sell annually you are the first to bring this up. Its a fair question non the less however I don't know if I fully provided the answer you are looking for. I can take a picture of different size ropes next to each other for comparison or perhaps I can send you sample of various diameters to show the sizes. Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

As Far as information I hired a new Graphic designer recently and he is making Brochures and marketing material that helps answer questions like this and provide more detailed information for download so your idea is already in motion. We are also putting together some production videos showing the whole process and everything that goes into making these. Good information to have and show.

As Far as the 1800 number we pulled it down when we changed and put up our Local number. I'm guessing people still had the old one and tried calling it but like I posted before we have a new number that is much easier to know

1-855-5Olympus
1-855-565-9678

Anyways enough about that...

Everything can always be better no doubt about that. Feel free to pass along any other suggestions.

In response to your question on the diameter. Im posting my response I sent in PM

When Rope is produced you purchase a specific size dy to spin the rope. For the Spidersilk the process if a little different. The dye is actually a 1/2" dye and the rope is ran through loser to allow the outer weave to be intertwined into the inner section. If you run it all together the rope would be over 1//2" thick so refining the process allows for extreme compression of the inner material. The final dye is a 7/16" die and is kept in spec via digital calipers. We do not measure each and every rope as really there is no point but with the spidersilk there is very little elongation vs our regular rope. Because the rope is compressed it may seem smaller but when you compare it to a standard 7/16 12 braid rope it may seems smaller because on a standard rope the fibers can move more and uncompress and or feel looser. To truly measure you need to put a load on the rope to set the fiber. This is why most companies tell you to "pre-stretch" the rope and we don't. There is no need as the blend we use does not have the failures of a standard dyneema rope. All in all i'm not sure if this is the explanation your looking for but out of the thousands of ropes we sell annually you are the first to bring this up. Its a fair question non the less however I don't know if I fully provided the answer you are looking for. I can take a picture of different size ropes next to each other for comparison or perhaps I can send you sample of various diameters to show the sizes. Please let me know if you have any other questions or comments.

As Far as information I hired a new Graphic designer recently and he is making Brochures and marketing material that helps answer questions like this and provide more detailed information for download so your idea is already in motion. We are also putting together some production videos showing the whole process and everything that goes into making these. Good information to have and show.

As Far as the 1800 number we pulled it down when we changed and put up our Local number. I'm guessing people still had the old one and tried calling it but like I posted before we have a new number that is much easier to know

1-855-5Olympus
1-855-565-9678

Anyways enough about that...

Just FYI, in a month and a half of emails back and forth, the 800 number was posted with every response and that same (non-service) number was still the only number on the website. I even asked about it in an email and was told it was just down temporarily. No one said anything about a new number.

Back