• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Olympic Top Hat

SUA SPONTE

NAXJA Forum User
I know alot of guys out in the P.N.W. run them for good reason. If its not too much trouble, could someone take a few close up pictures of how it mounts to the rails? Im trying to build my own and olympic wont sell just the mounting brackets for me to build around. Ill give the location of a free 98 8.25 for your efforts! Although, i'll give this info out for free anyway;D

You're welcome to come up to my place and take all of the measurements and pictures you like, I'm in Bothell. I suck at the internet, so getting me to post pics of anything is a lost cause.

Sorry this is the best pic I have. It clamps on to the rain gutter. Bottom piece looks like a "V" and has a welded on screw and the top looks like a "7" and the screw goes through the top of the 7 and clamps it down.

Roofrack016-1.jpg

I can bend them corners just like that if it helps. I plan on building one myself one day also I just have not got around to it yet. A long with one ton steering and a track bar and a front bumper and rock sliders and Well you got the point, It's kinda like the plumbers house needs new plumbing.

Dave

Here are a couple old ones I have.

roofrack012.jpg

roofrack011.jpg

I know alot of guys out in the P.N.W. run them for good reason. If its not too much trouble, could someone take a few close up pictures of how it mounts to the rails? Im trying to build my own and olympic wont sell just the mounting brackets for me to build around. Ill give the location of a free 98 8.25 for your efforts! Although, i'll give this info out for free anyway;D

Try looking at the ladder racks mounted on a Verizon or Qwest van, they have a gutter rail mount similar to the picture posted, it would be easy to cut the mounts off and weld them to your home brew roof rack.

You can find take off racks for cheap at the Park & Sell in Woodinville or some times at JGM auctions in Kenmore.

Thank you all for the pictures, and the advise. Im thinking I may either rat F^@# the mounts from junk vehicles(good idea) or just weld the thing on the gutter. To fabricate 6 mounts to make the rack removable when it doesn't need to be seems like a wast of time. haven't seen anyone who welded one on before. Anyone else?

Back