• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure sensor

escoria

NAXJA Forum User
Dears,

Today, when I left my XJ BRINQUEDINHO (Little Toy) to change the motor oil, the emploiee broke the Oil pressure sensor.

Anybody knows where can I buy it by WEB?

I leave in Brazil and I will have to import it.

Thank you

Regards

I usually use Morris 4x4 Center (www.morris4x4center.com or www.cyberjeep.com) for OEM mail-order parts, but I don't know if they export offhand. Can't hurt to ask.

Something I've found, tho - check to see if you have to deal with "brokerage fees." It's something my Canadian customers have to deal with - they ask me to ship via USPS (which I do anyhow,) since USPS doesn't charge brokerage fees, while the contract carriers (UPS, FedEx, DHL) all do. Saves them $20 or so, I think.

I also seem to want to recall it's a fairly standard GM part for earlier models - and a Chrysler part for the later ones. What year is yours? And, can anyone else confirm this? I haven't had a chance to fully flesh that idea out in my research yet...

I'm not sure myself - but it's something my Canadian customers try to avoid, so it's probably more like a "Customs surcharge" that contract carriers tack on. I honestly don't know, since I've not had to deal with it myself (but, if you're going to get parts from the States, you may want to look into it. It's fairly standard for the buyer to be responsible for all fees, duties, and tariffs on all export orders. You Have Been Warned...)

Since you've got a 1998, it may be a standard Chrysler part (since all the control electronics should be OBD-II Chrysler.) I haven't gotten that far in my research yet - but this sort of thing is exactly why I started writing swappology.

Anyhow, I know it's not much - but I just wanted to make you aware of a couple of potential pitfalls you might run into, even if I can't give you specific advice on the part. If it's a Chrysler part, you may have a Chrysler dealer local to you that you could source the part from, and save shipping and import fees...

I do not think they are any different to a regular oil pressure sender. The unit should be for a '0 to 80' PSI guage with a 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) or non metric thread. You should be able to find one at most automotive stores. They should be available in San Paulo and Campinas. Save your self the time and import fees.

These are Duty taxes (surcharges) added to the price of items purchased out of country. If the supplier doesn't charge it when you buy the item, the carrier might have to do so. If not, it will usually get held up in customs until the tariff is paid. Of course, this makes the item, more expensive (like in Canada), and is often too much trouble for U.S. suppliers to deal with.

(Sheesh!!!! try sending some cigars to Canada or the UK!)

techno1154 said:
I do not think they are any different to a regular oil pressure sender. The unit should be for a '0 to 80' PSI guage with a 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) or non metric thread. You should be able to find one at most automotive stores. They should be available in San Paulo and Campinas. Save your self the time and import fees.

Sorry, but they are different. The 91-up XJ sender reads in reverse from most senders: an open circuit will pin the gauge at top, and a short will drop it to zero. I don't know what other vehicles use these - it might be a common Chrysler item, but it certainly is not a generic sender.

They're not cheap, either. I think I paid about $35 for the last one I bought when my stepson broke one on his 93.

escoria said:
Mikeforte,

Are Neihoff and Sorensen brands? Excuse me, but I don't know about the American 4x4 Market.

[]'s

Yes both are well established brands. Sorensen is what I use in my older XJ. It has been around since WWII I think. The other is one I always see but have no real experience with.
Good Luck.

jeeperjohn said:
That part looks to me like an oil pressure switch, which simply lights a light at a preset pressure. If you have an oil pressure gauge then the part you need is a little longer than that one.

This is the part for a gauge not the shorter one for an idiot light. This is a pressure sensitive reostat which changes the electrical output as pressure rises. The one for an idiot light is as you describe which breaks the circuit with pressure over 5 lbs I think. That is why the idiot light is on when the key is on but will go out as the engine produces oil pressure.
Any further questions please feel free to ask.

Back