• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Odyssey vs. optima vs. orbital

Odyssey all the way. my next one will be the sears battery made by Odyssey
DieHard Platinum

One note guys.. if you do get this battery.. Don't use the side Terminals they are very weak... They are known to break connection. I have read about it.. But its still a good battery.

I was told at work (4 Wheel Parts) that Optima did move there plant from Colorado to Mexico. I also have been told the the quality went down for a bit, while they got settled but now they are back up to what they where before the move. I have seen a few Optima come back with warranty issues over the last while, but I have not seen any lately. I would by a Yellow top if I where in need of a new battery.

Hmmm I will have to check if Johnson controls moved that plant to Mexico tommorow. I haven't seen any made in Mexico stickers on our Optima Product but I can't say I have paid any attention. At work our Optimas are being shipped from Missouri but that doesn't meant they were made there.

I know as a fact that the plant where they did the red tops was move to Mexico, they even asked the employees to go down and train the new employees. There where a lot of people that lost there jobs cause of it. It was in the news, I know there was a thread on Pirate4x4 about it and there where a few people that were really mad over it. I will look for the thread.

Also if you look on there website for the warranty info it asks you when you purchased the battery. Cause since they moved they have changed the warranty to. its not as good as it was. Red tops where 36 month and prorated after that and now there 36 months only.
http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/warranty/

Last edited:
I know as a fact that the plant where they did the red tops was move to Mexico, they even asked the employees to go down and train the new employees. There where a lot of people that lost there jobs cause of it. It was in the news, I know there was a thread on Pirate4x4 about it and there where a few people that were really mad over it. I will look for the thread.
Made in mexico....for the fail (n)

I bought the Sears battery, same one linked I believe. It's the Diehard Platinum, and it's just a touch bigger than the stock battery. I had to cut one lip off the battery tray, but the clamp still works. One of these days, I'll get/make a battery tray to fit it properly. I use the side posts for my winch, top posts for everything else. I like it so far, definitely has plenty of cranking power for the 4.0.

I am going to say I would def. go with the Red Top... cause if it wasn't worth running, the USAF and other branches of the military wouldn't trust them in most of their vehicles, and almost all of their equipment.. I will def. be rolling with a Red Top... or if I can afford it I would rather get the Yellow Top like I had in my car... wish I had never lost that battery...

you are wrong my friend....Odyssey is a subset of ENERSYS, which is a supplier to the US armed forces....submarine batteries, tanks batteries, MRAPS, etc. They are also used in nuclear power plants as the backup batteries. Odyssey batteries are the best, but they arent cheap either

for example, the Sears Die Hard platnium is made by Odyssey, and they actually had to lower their standards to meet what Sears wanted....so Sears said just make your "lowest" battery.....so a Die Hard platnium is the same as an Odyssey

i only know all this because I have a relative in Odyssey corporate

all my vehicle have Odysseys in them

you are wrong my friend....Odyssey is a subset of ENERSYS, which is a supplier to the US armed forces....submarine batteries, tanks batteries, MRAPS, etc. They are also used in nuclear power plants as the backup batteries. Odyssey batteries are the best, but they arent cheap either

for example, the Sears Die Hard platnium is made by Odyssey, and they actually had to lower their standards to meet what Sears wanted....so Sears said just make your "lowest" battery.....so a Die Hard platnium is the same as an Odyssey

i only know all this because I have a relative in Odyssey corporate

all my vehicle have Odysseys in them
So given this insight, is the sears platinum battery equivalent to buying an odyssey battery or is the Odyssey much better?

you are wrong my friend....Odyssey is a subset of ENERSYS, which is a supplier to the US armed forces....

x2. I wouldn't run a Optima or Exide Orbital again. I've had two Optimas fail in the past with in 1-2 years of purchase. I went with and Exide. That lasted a little over a year. Napa swapped it out with an Optima. We'll see how long that lasts. I would go with Odyssey or try a Braille battery.

Also, the Optima fit better than the Orbital, being lower in height.

I got two yellow tops in my jeep, a red top in my car and a brand new red top in my other jeep... and If they didn't keep getting warrantied I'd have all Odyssey batteries in by now. Optima went way down hill. Thanks Johnson Controls.

i had a red top in my old rig and ran 2 KC daylighters and 2 6x9s with no problem. never had a problem cranking no matter the weather. i have an older yellowtop in my trail rig now and works perfectly. it sat for over a month in this cold while i was at school and started immediately with no sluggishness.

i just put in new yellowtops into my DD xj and my dads xj yesterday. we'll see if they give us any problems (manufactured 11/09)

For the price, I would recommend a Costco battery, I have the 1000ca battery and it cost under 80$

Made in mexico....for the fail (n)

FYI - pretty much any Mopar replacement part that you get from the dealer is made in Mexico...

I've had my Red Top since 2000. I've drained it a number of times, and it's survived multiple cold Chicago/Denver winters and Phoenix summers.

i just put in new yellowtops into my DD xj and my dads xj yesterday. we'll see if they give us any problems (manufactured 11/09)

this in seeking the truth, but is it safe to say these are both mexican made? my local autozones still stock ones from aurora, but im guessing theyre whats left of the local stock??

i'd much rather buy from mexico than china.... at least mexico is closer, and not even gonna get into the whole socio/political thing...

FYI - pretty much any Mopar replacement part that you get from the dealer is made in Mexico...

I've had my Red Top since 2000. I've drained it a number of times, and it's survived multiple cold Chicago/Denver winters and Phoenix summers.
Yeah, I know. I make parts when I can but sometimes you have no choice.

Back