• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWFest 09

Lets talk details!

Below is a list of the formal trail run's that I have established. I have tried to provide a variety of trails for a variety of different groups with as much diversity in the trails as possible. I have tried to provide the details with each trail run as far as limited number of people time expectations, etc. Ultimately this will be up to the leadership of the group leader who will take responsibility for the group and how it proceeds.

My expectation was that you could sign up for trails after arriving and going through tech inspection. If there are any significant concerns with this please let me know and we will deal with that on an individual basis.

I would like to put names of trail leaders with each trail ride as soon as possible (some have already been designated)so that I can work with each of these leaders with regard to maps, GPS data, expectations and time restrictions. Please let me know which trails you may or may not like to lead and I will begin to coordinate all of the details together.

Start times and time expectations have been established to get each group conservatively through each of the sections of trails. If there are significant issues along the way the trail leaders will establish any deviations that might need to occure for the safety of the group. I am making the assumption that Saturday's dinner will be at 6:00pm and I wanted every group back by 4:00pm to have time to assist, clean up, etc.

I do not want to dictate who or what vehicles are capable of running what trails, I would like to leave this up to the tail leaders since they are ultimately the ones who have the responsibility for the group. As a general rule the easy trails should be able to be completed by a stock XJ with little likelyhood of body damage. The moderate trails should be able to be completed with a 3+ inch lift/31" tires and minimum skid plates, certain obstacles will be more challenging than others and many are avoidable. body damage is always a factor, but not likely if care is taken. Hard trails should have 33" tires, good skid plates and at least 1 TAD. body damage is likely but not inevitable.

The "EPIC" run. This run is designed to be a mentally and pysically challenging run for the combined group. It will run the vast majority of the most difficult trails in the area in record time. What is most important about this run is that everyone has the understanding of the expectations of the group and can act in accordance with those expections, particularly with regard to trail etiquite, extraction techniques, trail communication, repair issues, etc. I think that 33" tires, 1 TAD would be required. But group trail experience is much more important. I hope this trail run will be a challenging understaking for everyone in the group and I hope that it provides a "base line" for all future NW Fest trail run's :scottm:

For those who are not familiar with the trail names/numbers I recommend a "Yakima County Recreation Guide" from the following resources:
Yakima County Shefiff's Office at 1 (800) 572-0490 or www.co.yakima.wa.us/sheriff
Naches Ranger District (509) 653-1400
Cle Elum Ranger District (509) 852-1100

The following website has all of the information on purchasing these maps.
http://www.yakimap.com/Products/ProductsORV.htm

Thursday, June 25th
No formal trail runs, I expect people will be arriving throughout the day and evening and this is a better time to unload, set up camp, meet and greet with others and you may obviously run trails on your own as you see fit.

Friday, June 26th
Easy Run, Leave at 11:00AM (3Hrs up to Rocks, 2Hrs back down)
1702, 1720, Bald Mt, C.J.R.s Hideout, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708
Moderate Run, Leave at 11:00AM (12 rig max) (4 Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down)
1708, Lower Woodpecker, Upper Woodpecker, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Milk Lake, 1708
Epic Run (leave at 8:00AM, 8 rigs max, 33’s and 1 TAD, Experience!!) 10 Hrs-12Hrs Hans/Michael to lead group
Kaner Flats, Shoestring, Tripod Flats, Buck Meadows, Quartz Mt., Wells Meadow, Manastash Ridge, String (Rocks), Tipover, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker.
Raven’s Roost Night Run (Leave 1hr, and 2hr’s before Sunset)
Main road for stock vehicles, Powerline (900) for modified

Saturday, June 27th
Easy Run (Leave at 9:00AM) Hans to lead group
1708, Milk Lake, Summit to Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, 670 down to 1720.
Hard/Moderate 1 (Leave at 9:00AM, will be back by 3:00PM) (12 rig max)
1708, Upper Woodpecker, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks (several hours of play), Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708 John to lead group
Moderate Run 2 (Leave at 9:30AM) (12 rig max)
1706, 1600 (Little Bald Mt), Mud Springs (696), Saw Mill Flats (1600)
Hard Run 1 (Leave at 8:30AM) (10 rig max) (4Hrs up to Rocks, 2 Hrs back down)
Kaner Flats, Manastash Ridge, String, Tipover, Tripod Flats, Summit, Moon Rocks/Funny Rocks, Upper Woodpecker, Lower Woodpecker, 1708.
Hard Run 2 Will add this run if we need more run's (Leave at 9:00AM) (12 rig max) (3Hrs up to Rocks, 3.5Hrs back down)
1708, Lower Woodpecker, Upper Woodpecker, Summit, Moon Rocks/Runny Rocks, Tripod Flats, Shoestring, Kaner Flats

Sunday, June 28th
Easy Run
Naches Trail (684) up to Naches Pass and return (not open on West Side yet)
Moderate Run
Power Line Trail up to Raven’s Roost (900) and return.
Hard Run Michael to lead group
Saw Mill Flats (1600), Lower Clover Springs (697), Upper Clover Springs (1605 4w696)

I want in on the epic run.:)

And yes, nice job putting some trails, times, difficulty ratings, etc. together. It should help things run smoother.

Call "in" on the Epic run

The Epic run list of attendee's will be sorted out closer to time.
I do want to know who is interested (and can guarantee being there Thursday evening checked in, tech completed, etc) but we won't solidify the list until we get closer to the date.

I have not decided how it will be decided yet entirely, but I have several ideas :laugh:

Michael

If we have too many people wanting in, break it into two "epic" groups running the same route. Group 2 leaves camp 45 minutes later.

The Epic run list of attendee's will be sorted out closer to time.
I do want to know who is interested (and can guarantee being there Thursday evening checked in, tech completed, etc) but we won't solidify the list until we get closer to the date.

I have not decided how it will be decided yet entirely, but I have several ideas :laugh:

Michael

:scottm: Cash? Or historic example? :gee:

If we have too many people wanting in, break it into two "epic" groups running the same route. Group 2 leaves camp 45 minutes later.

One forward one runs it backwards?

I wasn't thinking that, but that would work too. Depends on the difference in "epicness" between running the route from the opposite direction. Some trails suck backwards, some are okay.

I have considered this. And I would have two groups, 1 running backwards from the other. Although some of these trails are more challenging in one direction from the other, they are all doable in either direction and both Han's and I have done each of them in both directions in the past. *IF* we decide to do it this way, we may also make it a competition;)

We will work this all out as we get closer to time.
Michael

I have considered this. And I would have two groups, 1 running backwards from the other. Although some of these trails are more challenging in one direction from the other, they are all doable in either direction and both Han's and I have done each of them in both directions in the past. *IF* we decide to do it this way, we may also make it a competition;)

We will work this all out as we get closer to time.
Michael

Dibs on the group that doesn't include Alex! :cheers:

Nice stuff, thanks Michael! I'm looking forward to wheeling Naches. Hopefully I'll be locked F/R by then with 33's. :)

~Scott

Back