• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

**NWChapter Random Thoughts Thread***

Lmao I kinda want to here how you found this out lol
So ... I tossed a bag out back of the house and wanted to adjust my scope to match up with my new drop away rest. One thing led to another and an arrow said peekaboo to my master bedroom.
Since that post I've built a 8'x6'x3" backstop using plywood and horse stall mays against my fence. Lesson learned!

Really wishing I was still on the lakebed. Seven days goes by quick when you're in your element.

Took over 800 pictures throughout the week. TORXreport will be published in a few days.
I'm so envious, It's actually kind of disgusting.

Really wishing I was still on the lakebed. Seven days goes by quick when you're in your element.

Took over 800 pictures throughout the week. TORXreport will be published in a few days.

cant wait!

Been looking around for lower geared axles to throw under the XJ and found a D30 out of a TJ with 4.56 and an Eaton E-locker. What are you guys thoughts on that locker and what would be a fair price for the axle? Its otherwise stock (housing, shafts) as far as I know.

Anything in particular I should look out for when I go check this thing out to make sure it's in good functional condition? Beyond looking over the gear teeth for damage obviously. Is there any way to make sure the locker works & the housing is true when the axle is not currently installed in a rig?

We'll if it's a tj axle it is lp then. Just remember to take that into account. Don't personally know the locker but I've heard good things about it.

^Correct, the TJ D30 is a low pinion, Maybe it's a swapped axle tho?

If its a Low pinion and in decent shape, I'd say its worth $500ish..

If its a High pinion and in good shape, I'd say its worth $650ish..

Check the condition of the bearings, and the Ring/Pinion teeth.. (never buy an axle without opening the diff cover)

Also, I would note the condition of the lower control arm brackets, Upper control arm bushings and Balljoints.. Now's a good time to replace any of those before installing the axle..

I dont know how to check if the locker works, But I'm sure their is plenty of info on that via google...?

Dang, I forgot about the TJ's being low pinion. Is there a strength difference between the LP and HP axles? I realize the driveshaft angle will be steeper, not sure if that would cause issues with my setup or not.

Is there any way to check the bearings other than spinning the axle shafts and pinion yoke to feel if they turn smoothly? Definitely going to pull the cover to look at the internals and check for any obvious external damage like tweaked brackets.

I'll have to do some Googling on the e-locker, hoping it's a simple thing to put 12v to it with the diff cover off and look to see if it engages properly.

The low pinion is not as strong as a High pinion..

Honestly, For $1000-1200 on used axles, You can get quite far on just gearing/locking your current axles.. $1200 would get an E-locker and Front/rear Gears and install kits.. PM RWKhausSupply

Unless you have a dana 35 rear, In that case.. add a couple hundred for an 8.8 swap..

If you search around, you can find installers for $150/axle if its pulled

Yeah, I think I have like $800 in my 30, that's gears, 4340 shafts, and locker (lock rite)

Welcome back, Jeremy!! How's the XJ doing!??

It could be worse...

Wen I parked it over a year ago, the only problems I knew about were worn out cross-over heims, broken steering box bolts and a broken brakeline in the rear. I dove into it on Saturday and while removing the dead battery to be placed on the charger I noticed a crystalized substance under the thermostat housing, saw that the gasket was frail to the touch. So I removed the header panel and radiator, after draining nothing but a small amount of coolant and a lot of rusty colored water. Removed the thermostat and flushed the system along with cleaning and flushing the radiator. Then I noticed the crack in the "frame-rail" (crazymoose will correct me later I'm sure) on the driver side near the top of the steering box.

So, needless to say I haven't gotten anything done yet that I knew I had to do. Maybe tomorrow I can be productive on it.

Hasta

It could be worse...

Wen I parked it over a year ago, the only problems I knew about were worn out cross-over heims, broken steering box bolts and a broken brakeline in the rear. I dove into it on Saturday and while removing the dead battery to be placed on the charger I noticed a crystalized substance under the thermostat housing, saw that the gasket was frail to the touch. So I removed the header panel and radiator, after draining nothing but a small amount of coolant and a lot of rusty colored water. Removed the thermostat and flushed the system along with cleaning and flushing the radiator. Then I noticed the crack in the "frame-rail" (crazymoose will correct me later I'm sure) on the driver side near the top of the steering box.

So, needless to say I haven't gotten anything done yet that I knew I had to do. Maybe tomorrow I can be productive on it.

Hasta

You still in Salem? Last time I saw you was at your work and my jeep was still stock lol

Back