• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

**NWChapter Random Thoughts Thread***

City stop and go: 4hi or 4low? Since Salem probably had the thought that snow would last only a day, there has been no gravel laid out lol and we are 3.5"-4" of snow. Now off roading I know 4lo is best and I keep thinking it would help in stop and go traffic. Input?

I'd stick with 4hi, it limits your torque a bit more so you aren't going to spin the tires right off the line unless you want to.

I actually sometimes roll out in 4hi second gear when it's snowy out and I really don't want to spin the tires. Remember that the second you spin, you're icing up everything right under you and making a nice skating rink instead of moving forward... let the biting edges of your tires grab something and hold it, instead of ripping it off.

I'd stick with 4hi, it limits your torque a bit more so you aren't going to spin the tires right off the line unless you want to.

I actually sometimes roll out in 4hi second gear when it's snowy out and I really don't want to spin the tires. Remember that the second you spin, you're icing up everything right under you and making a nice skating rink instead of moving forward... let the biting edges of your tires grab something and hold it, instead of ripping it off.

That's why I had thought of 4lo to keep from spinning off the bat. I've been going 4hi when I have to stop then go since 2wd I can't move but typically on the longer straight ish roads I've been rocking 2hi but I think I'm going to stick with 4hi. Been smart though, I've been using engine braking to slow down than using my brakes. I've also aired down to 20psi

Last edited:
If you REALLY want to see some improvement, sipe your tires a little.

Doesn't need to be deep, or actually remove any rubber. Even just running a razor blade across them say 1/16 to 1/8 inch deep every 1/8 inch or 1/4 inch or so will produce enough biting edges that they'll stick to snow better. If you make very fine, very shallow grooves it'll be better, but it does waste rubber a bit.

Kinda like this:
sipes.jpg

You want some side traction as well as forward/back traction, so sloping them inward from each side like a V may be better than just going straight across.

Which pickup coil are you talking about won't last long? I read somewhere else that both of those control fuel injectors, not the spark. That the spark was only from the crank sensor. What do you guys think?

Which pickup coil are you talking about won't last long? I read somewhere else that both of those control fuel injectors, not the spark. That the spark was only from the crank sensor. What do you guys think?

Yours should be the f141. If the shaft in the center of the distributor has back and forth play it will kill the new parts faster.

I thought the disk shape one that I posted was the pick up coil for our 91'-99' I know for my 97' it was. Isn't bmikes a 92'?
all the jeep distributor cam pickups are that shape. all the 91-99 ones are the same electrically but they changed the connector a few times over the years so look at yours before going to buy the new one.

Re: Re: **NWChapter Random Thoughts Thread***

I thought the disk shape one that I posted was the pick up coil for our 91'-99' I know for my 97' it was. Isn't bmikes a 92'?

Someone gave me one of the disc shaped ones and said it came off a '98. I haven't looked to see if my '91 uses the same part. Brandon, if you find out the disc shaped one is the part you need let me know cause I don't have a need for it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up just throwing that back in and found a fuse was blown out in the engine fuse block. The 30a fuse that is the engine control. So I gotta find the short in the circuit. Not sure how to go about that though

Check the wiring to your rear o2 sensor (especially where it goes up and over the transfer case and rear driveshaft) and fuel pump first.

Those are the two most common areas I see harness damage in that causes that fuse to blow. At least I think it's that fuse, I'd have to compare notes to make sure.

That O2 is also run off the same fuse, but the one I'm talking about is downstream of the cat (unless you have a 95 or earlier... then ignore everything I have said except the fuel pump part!)

Other things that run off these fuses: alternator field coil, injectors, ignition coil, ECU, and some other stuff I forget. Basically everything that runs the engine.

Back