• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

**NWChapter Random Thoughts Thread***

So I have plans of building a Longarm and Im trying to figure out what ends to run.Im thinking rubber at the axle end 1.25 Hiems on the upper and body mounts seems to be alot of guys use Hiems with a poly bushing at the axle but Im thinking the OE rubber for 13$ each and being softer will make a better ride. Im really looking for input because I drive my rig to wheel it not trailer it so advise on drive abilty would be great.

After spending the last 6 months doing research and trying to really dial in a build plan. I ended up just giving up and spending the money for claytons, Building my own could have saved a few bucks, depending on the the quality of parts (DOM vs HREW, Heims vs JJ's Etc etc) But after factoring in time and other small costs (cutoff wheels, gas&wire..etc..) I bailed

I will say, everything i found seemed to point towards Currie Johnny Joints instead of Heims..

Rubber on the axle side, JJ's on the Crossmember side..

my $0.02

Last edited:
So I have plans of building a Longarm and Im trying to figure out what ends to run.Im thinking rubber at the axle end 1.25 Hiems on the upper and body mounts seems to be alot of guys use Hiems with a poly bushing at the axle but Im thinking the OE rubber for 13$ each and being softer will make a better ride. Im really looking for input because I drive my rig to wheel it not trailer it so advise on drive abilty would be great.
I'd do solid joints on both ends (i.e. no bushing). Then run a left and right hand tube adapter so the link can twist freely like a tie-rod. Twisty Links, brilliant!

Currie JJ's Ill look into price on those so far Im looking well under 300 $ for everything and thats sounding great to me. Im not to sure about twisty links like a JKS ? my friend has burned up 3 bronze bushing and has only been running his control arms for a year and a half.

I'm with TORX i like the solid joints. One if the down falls would be you will see alot of road noise. The bushings rubber more then polly really take most of that away. But as far as a flexible and easy maintenance the JJ's or some larger heims would work well. Let me know if your looking for some JJ i have some i might sell that i didnt use on an old project.

Im really leaning towards the Heims just because my friend already has some in his stock and they are 1.25.Whats the life span of Heims I know you can rebuild JJ but Ive ran them in the past and always end up with DW from them either I get them to tight or they are to loose and dont feel like crawling under my rig every time I want to go for a drive. What kind of JJ Currie I had the misfortune of running Rustys JJ and the blow as do RC X-flex joints .

Last edited:
Im really leaning towards the Heims just because my friend already has some in his stock and they are 1.25.Whats the life span of Heims I know you can rebuild JJ but Ive ran them in the past and always end up with DW from them either I get them to tight or they are to loose and dont feel like crawling under my rig every time I want to go for a drive. What kind of JJ Currie I had the misfortune of running Rustys JJ and the blow as do RC X-flex joints .

Mine are currie but there a little large.

2012-09-10_07-59-46_277.jpg

I JUST FOUND SKITTLES IN MY DESK,
I FORGOT THAT SOMETIMES ......I JUST NEED TO TASTE THE RAINBOW.....

I just took my jeep I bought 2000 xj sport out for its first test in 4wd with michelin street tires. not a good idea, almost didnt make it up hill back to main road with soft dirt... me thinks I need better tires and a lift soon.... oh and this is my first post

Back