• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP242 case damage within case

ausxjclassic

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm new here, I've been lurking for a while and have learned a lot here about my Cherokee. This is now my 2nd XJ, both MY2001 XJ Classic 4.0/AW4/NP242.

This XJ is totally factory, not even the Up Country suspension option.

Ever since I bought this XJ a few months ago it had a consistant rumble from about 30km/h to about 80km/h, beyond which wind noise would take over as the primary noise in the vehicle.

An additional noise when selecting full-time 4WD was on some occasions, when turning a corner, there was a clunking sound from underneath. I have not tried part-time 4WD or low range, in case it did sudden damage to the TC and made the Jeep undrivable.

When I dropped the oil out of the TC, it was a dark red colour and had a metallic sheen to it in sunlight. There also were small chunks of metal in the pan.

So I took the XJ to a trusted Jeep mechanic here in Australia to o/haul the TC. He discovered when he split the Transfer Case the score marks.

The score marks are consistant with where the chain is in the TC, but he says that the chain does not appear to be worn. The mech is yet to split some of the case but so far cannot see any obvious reason for the score marks.

Also, the magnet in the case to pick up metail debris was pretty clean - not a lot of metal on it.

My mech (who is very familiar with the NP 231 TC) said that he's seen the magnet (in the TC) look furry with metal filings on it. This one had only a few deposits on it, relatively clean.

Yet the magnet would not attract aluminium (from the casing), right?

That would explain the amount of deposits I found in the oil and the metallic sheen to the oil when dropped in the pan, and the lack of much metal on the magnet.

As I said this mechanic knows his Jeeps and the NP231 at least, but is not so familliar with the NP242. He cannot find a reason for the score marks yet.

Has anyone here seen this kind of damage before and knows what causes it?

It would be great to know what the cause is in case we need to remedy it before we button-up the TC and put it back in the XJ.

I cannot upload the pics I have of the damage. I think that is because I am not a paid subscriber? I'll see if I can work that out.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

If the score marks coincide with the chain location, a loose chain very likely caused them. Loose chains making contact with the aluminum case does happen.

The 242 is not that different than the 231. As long as the wear marks are not terminal, install a fresh chain, and some fresh shift fork tabs and it should be good.

Last edited:
Back