• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noob needs HELP

JamesD

NAXJA Forum User
Will it be beneficial for me to purchase this. I just bought an 89 XJ 4 Door 5 speed. It is mainly stock with like 3 inches of lift but soon to be changed to a long arm. I am wanting to go fairly crazy with like some 38 or 39.5's but possibly smaller if to expensive to get axles to hold up. First I can get a High Pinion Dana 44 from a coil sprung truck with the 8 lug HD spindles new rotors bearings seals etc... It has 4.11 gears with an open diff. It has super winch hubs. But no Calipers. I can get that axle for $350. He also has a 205 and an NP 435 Transfer case for $100 a piece. And I can also get a D70 with 3.73. He said it is a single wheel, I am unsure as to what that means? It is missing some of the brake guts but has the drums. He is asking $150 for that. I am open to buying anything that is beneficial but I don't want to buy an axle that I am going to have to replace junk on with 37's. Any insight is GREATLY appreciated and any knowledge is also. I have been reading the forums 24/7 for the past week and have learned alot but would like a little bit of help from someone that has been in it a little longer. Thanks

James

Don't run anything more than 37s on a HP44 if you are in the west ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of this really depends on your definition of 'expensive'.

Nearly every part I've gotten for my build on 39.5s, I've gotten for below 'average' cost. I know a lot of people and can get stuff cheap most of the time. And I'm still upwards of $4k so far, and it's not done.

Not to mention that you're probably underestimating what it'll take to make an XJ work with 39.5s and appropriate axles too...

Well my question is would it be beneficial for me to buy this 70 for that kind of price or wait for something else to come along. Thanks

Ive heard that the dana 70 axles hang pretty low, go for a dana 60 instead. You're gonna break you junk on 37's sooner or later though. Good luck with your build, hope theres more fun than headaches.

Back