• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NON-XJ: coolant tube removal

seigeXJ90

NAXJA Forum User
not XJ related, but could be relevant.. On my 2005 Ford Escape, there's a coolant nipple tube going into the block in the valley between cylinders. The tube holds the other end of the coolant hose coming out of the water pump. It's 32mm (1 1/4") ID and pressed in. For the life of me, I can't get this dang thing out. I've tried heating, I've tried PB Blaster, I've tried prying, I've tried everything under the sun. Only pipe extractors I've seen are for 3/4" ID ..

Anybody have an idea how I can get this thing out? It's my DD and only previously working vehicle, so I'm screwed if I can't get this fixed.

Thnx

We do have a section for non-XJ/MJ tech, here it is!

As far as your original question...

- Which part did you heat? If you're careful, you can often heat the cast boss around the nipple while you're pulling on the nipple proper - the hole in the boss should expand slightly more quickly than the nipple proper.

- Also, if you already have another nipple handy, you can use a punch to cave in the sides of the nipple (it should be steel tube, right?) and loosen it that way. Once you get about half of the tube to where it's not touching the engine casting, it should come loose.

Bear in mind that the factory (whichever one) usually applies some sort of sealant to the outside of the nipple before it gets pressed in - this seals the nipple to the casting, and often also works as a cement. Once you get the nipple out, you may want to take a wire wheel or wire point brush and clean the sealant out of the bore, before you press the new nipple in.

I like to use RTV when pressing in a new nipple - it's easier to deal with later.

If you have room, it is also often helpful to heat up the boss that the nipple pressed into before installation, since that requires less force for the press-fit (DO NOT HEAT THE NIPPLE ITSELF, or you'll be getting in your own way!)

We do have a section for non-XJ/MJ tech, here it is!

As far as your original question...

- Which part did you heat? If you're careful, you can often heat the cast boss around the nipple while you're pulling on the nipple proper - the hole in the boss should expand slightly more quickly than the nipple proper.

- Also, if you already have another nipple handy, you can use a punch to cave in the sides of the nipple (it should be steel tube, right?) and loosen it that way. Once you get about half of the tube to where it's not touching the engine casting, it should come loose.

Bear in mind that the factory (whichever one) usually applies some sort of sealant to the outside of the nipple before it gets pressed in - this seals the nipple to the casting, and often also works as a cement. Once you get the nipple out, you may want to take a wire wheel or wire point brush and clean the sealant out of the bore, before you press the new nipple in.

I like to use RTV when pressing in a new nipple - it's easier to deal with later.

If you have room, it is also often helpful to heat up the boss that the nipple pressed into before installation, since that requires less force for the press-fit (DO NOT HEAT THE NIPPLE ITSELF, or you'll be getting in your own way!)

You're right, sorry, I had a feeling there might be a NON-XJ tech forum was in a rush and didn't take the time to look.

Thanks for the info, I was able to get in with a long pair of harbor freight needle nose pliers and hammered it in to tear down the sides until it eventually caved in a came loose. I put a ding on the top edge of the hole but everything seemed to go in OK. I was able to press in the new one (yes it's a 32mm steel tube) using a block of 1x2 wood and it went in without a problem. I did forget to put some sealant on it, I meant to put the stuff I used for my freeze plugs on my XJ, but after a long test drive I didn't see any leaks... hopefully it'll be ok.

Thanks again!

Back