• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Overdrive & Check Engine Light is on ?

Stopped by AAMCO today for their free CEL Diagnostic check.
They run it into the shop and about 15 minuts later bring it back out.
He did a repair and reset the computor and the light is out, he says it is your lucky day and beleives he has cured it, I beleive he has too.
Drove it about 20 miles, it is shifting better than ever :)
Anyway, I won't say what he found just yet, as I want to drive it a couple of days to confirm.

Light came back on
Still getting Code 705 = Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)
Translated = the NSS

Problem is I have did the NNS fix, tested it and installed it correctly.
Code keeps coming back.
Man am I stumped :dunno:

unplug all your electrical connections. clean the them all with and electrical plug cleaner. after they are dry put some di-electrical grease on them and plug them back in.

Light came back on
Still getting Code 705 = Transmission Range Sensor Circuit malfunction (PRNDL Input)
Translated = the NSS

Problem is I have did the NNS fix, tested it and installed it correctly.
Code keeps coming back.
Man am I stumped :dunno:

Tested it how? On the bench with a meter? Is it adjusted correctly? Simple check for a gross misalignment would be to watch the backup lights as you move the shifter. If you're still getting the 705 code, then the TCU thinks there is a problem. It might be a wiring problem and not the NSS too.

Tested it how? On the bench with a meter? Is it adjusted correctly? Simple check for a gross misalignment would be to watch the backup lights as you move the shifter. If you're still getting the 705 code, then the TCU thinks there is a problem. It might be a wiring problem and not the NSS too.

Check the NSS with an OHM meter inthe XJ.
It is adjusted proper.
Not sure how to check for a wiring problem other than visual and everything looks fine.
This all started after I washed the engine.

Re: CURED

Problem is Cured:
I got a new Digital Multi Meter and did some testing of the Trans Solenoids.
Turns out Shift 1-2 Solenoid was bad
I replaced all 3 Solenoids and my Rig is shifting Perfect :D

Problem is Cured:
I got a new Digital Multi Meter and did some testing of the Trans Solenoids.
Turns out Shift 1-2 Solenoid was bad
I replaced all 3 Solenoids and my Rig is shifting Perfect :D

are your reverse lights back?

i had your exact same issue to a "T". no OD, no reverse lights, code 705. the only way i got it to go away was a new ECU/PCM or whatever you want to call it. i had previously tried everything everyone else already mentioned and none of it worked.

i picked up my PCM/ECU on ebay for 25 bucks.

are your reverse lights back?

i had your exact same issue to a "T". no OD, no reverse lights, code 705. the only way i got it to go away was a new ECU/PCM or whatever you want to call it. i had previously tried everything everyone else already mentioned and none of it worked.

i picked up my PCM/ECU on ebay for 25 bucks.

Yep; I have reverse lights, the NNS fix took care of that.
I also picked up a TCU just incase and it was cheap @ Pick & Pull $10

It did it again :gonnablow
So its been fine for a few hundred miles.
Today I drive about 80 miles for a family dinner.
Coming home about 40 miles into the drive, the CEL comes on and I loose OD Lock. Get almost home and it starts working fine.
Get home, try to clear the CEL, won't clear. Plug in a spare TCM and the CEL is off, plug the old TCM and the light is still off.
Take it for another short drive and it is working fine.
What the Heck is going on ? :gonnablow

I would check all your grounds to make sure they have good contact to the body. One could be loose and the trans is loosing the ground and and goes into failsafe mode.

(NUTS!!!)

Sounds like something is conking out at full operating temperature - heat problem. The trans takes about 20 minutes to really get up to temp. Does it reset itself with a overnite cooldown? (thats a big massive unit and takes a good while to cooldown.) Is the trans tunnel inside cabin getting extra hot? (bad cat 'cooking' area?) When it is conked-out can you get readings on those solenoids? Any other clues of abnormal temps, trans, engine etc. -smells, guage readings, etc.? Trans fluid- condition, smell? Level at the mark AT full operating temp and Jeep as level as you can get it?

i'm telling you man, you have the exact same issues i had, i would put money on the PCM

Are you talking the main computer under the hood that mounts to the fender well on the drivers side ?

I already replaced the TCM under the dash

yes i am. i also tried the tcm and its only a temp fix (mine lasted a grand total of 5 min). if you do get an ebay one, make sure you get the right one... there is coding on it that some of needs to be the same. it will look something like 274AD or 783AE. i beleive either the numbers or letters need to be the same... i will try to find the thread that decoded it

Last edited:
i have been looking all over for it but cant find it, maybe someone else knows what i am talking about?

Back