• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No Overdrive & Check Engine Light is on ?

cleaning the neutral safety switch and adjusting it is a good place to start, its free and takes a few minutes of your time, this may get you reverse and overdrive back, it did for me anyways. but your other two codes indicate a possible "no bus" and the tcu "trans control unit" not talking to the ecm "engine control module" this could be a crank position sensor issue as well causing the later of the two codes

are all of your gauges in the gauge cluster working properly?
is "no bus" being displayed on the odometer?

I went through this and the NSS was the culprit for a while. Then it started getting worse and now the XJ is being parted out. I would make sure the fluid is good adjust the NSS and if all else fails change out the solenoid. It may seem a little overbearing at first but all you really need to do is drop the tranny pan and they are right there. One bolt and one coneection and you are golden. I don't know exactly which one it is cause when I didi it I changed all 3 out

replace your TPS. shifting is not a nss issue

In my experience this is not true. When the NSS goes bad, the tranny defaults to 3rd gear instead of OD.

When the code is 0700 and 0705 it is typically an NSS problem. This guy may have multiple issues.

In my experience this is not true. When the NSS goes bad, the tranny defaults to 3rd gear instead of OD.

When the code is 0700 and 0705 it is typically an NSS problem. This guy may have multiple issues.

the only way the nss can make not shift into od is if its binding up the linkage so that you only shift the linkage into 3

the only way the nss can make not shift into od is if its binding up the linkage so that you only shift the linkage into 3

You misunderstand me. He puts the shift lever into OD but the electronic tranny (AW4 is electronic with solenoids) does not receive the correct signal due to corroded (dirty) NSS and defaults into 3 rather than OD. The failsafe position of the AW4 is 3rd gear.

Not only do I not have overdrive, but it slips in and out of 3rd and then looses 3rd. and feels like it is in Neutral.
I know it is a sensor of some sort, because when I clear the codes it shift fine for a bout 1 mile and then the CEL comes back on and it looses the gears again.
Also even after the Codes are clear the Backup lights still do not work.

This is the same thing that happened to me, same symptoms and same codes. Tried to pull the NSS off the shaft and it was broken before I touched it, so I got a new NSS and it solved the problem of no Overdrive. just because you cleaned it does not automatically mean it is going to work as it should.

Update:
I received a good TPS from RoyalXJ :cool:
Installed it and shot some Air-Intake cleaner throught the Throttle body.
CEL stayed off and was shifting fine.
However; after about 12 miles the CEL came on and then went back off
a mile or two later, still shifting fine.

How do I check the TCM ?

Also could a bad 02 sensor cause an issue ?
I ask because the wiring to mine had a burnt spot and a bare wire that I taped up.

... NSS won't cause a check engine light, so far as I know.

Yeah it will! I had the same issue and asked a question and all signs pointed to my NSS. I am taking it off at half time to clean it! :D

CEL is staying on now, still shifting fine though :dunno:

It'll probably go off on its own. Mine will act funny for a while then once it finally wants to go into OD it will go away after you turn it off and n a few times.

It'll probably go off on its own. Mine will act funny for a while then once it finally wants to go into OD it will go away after you turn it off and n a few times.

It went off right away at first, but then about 12 miles down the road it came back on and is staying on, but still shifting OK

It went off right away at first, but then about 12 miles down the road it came back on and is staying on, but still shifting OK

Try cleaning your NSS...... I used this when i did it yesterday: http://www.boyandjeep.com/tech-articles/aw4-neutral-start-switch-rebuild

A couple suggestions though. Put some WD-40 on the shaft so it slides off easily. Also, If yours is a 97+ the connector will not look the same as the one in the link. Put some WD-40 or PB blaster on the screw on the back of the NSS too. THey are a PITA!

Back