• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NJ Inspection

Yellow XJNJ

NAXJA Forum User
Perhaps this should be for the NAC forum, however, maybe former residents can assist. Anyone know where the tilt test is held these days? IM in Trenton and they closed the Flemington Tilt years ago... which inspection staton is gonna try to tip my Jeep over? Gotta get it done monday.

TIA

Mike- :repair: :rattle: ill pass the tilt, but the rest im gunna fail. need my orange FAILURE sticker.

i mean really just google motor vehical inspections you 'll find one for every state from a state site.including canada

Wil Badger said:
i mean really just google motor vehical inspections you 'll find one for every state from a state site.including canada
Hmm. Yeah, uh, as much as you'd like us to be, I'd like to point out that Canada is NOT a state.

Beej said:
Hmm. Yeah, uh, as much as you'd like us to be, I'd like to point out that Canada is NOT a state yet.

Fixed it for ya eh! :wave: The 21st century might be a long one. Hordes of screaming Inuit crossing the St John...

The Tilt Test??? LMAO picturing that one too. Remind me again why I am suspicious of New Jersey...

Beej said:
Hmm. Yeah, uh, as much as you'd like us to be, I'd like to point out that Canada is NOT a state.
uhm if you notice there is a period mean the start of a new sentence.so i was not saying it was .

Wil Badger said:
uhm if you notice there is a period mean the start of a new sentence.so i was not saying it was .
First, I was kidding, of course we're a state, that's why so many americans wear Canadian flags when they go abroad. Secondly, a period denotes the end of a sentence not the beginning of a new one. A capital letter denotes the beginning of a new sentence. So far I haven't even mentioned the fact that "including canada" is not even remotely a sentence. :D Lighten up eh? Ya don't haves ta get defensive aboot ev'ry little detail now, ya know.

I just hope those tilt tests aren't run by the same folks that pump your gas on the turnpike.

What is the Tilt test? = Im not 100% sure as Ive never had it done, but from the answers ive recieved from friends, heres what Ive got.
Its my understanding that after they check your steering geometry, hubs, tire size, regular state inspection, if you are lifted 4 or more inches over the manufacturers original height, you must undergo a Stability "tilt" test. I hear that they dont let you around for it, you have to wait in a waiting lobby the whole time and never see anyhting. But they drive one side of your Jeep onto a ramp similar to the ones they use in movie stunts to try to tip you. I dont know if they support the vehicles with chains or ropes, but i do hear they take it onto a pretty steep incline which apparently gets pretty scary sometimes. My boss told me that the side of the Jeep that stays on level ground sits on scales to calculate your weight distribution.

Hopefully this wont turn into a horror story.
BTW-This special tilt test inspection is only done by appointment. After doing some extended research, Im finding that there are only 2 inspection stations that do this testing, so you wait FOREVER. And if your not there 10 min early, they cancel on you. Thats direct from NJ MVC.

Aside from all that, Ive been tipped off to head to the station in South Jersey as the inspectors there are more interested in your Rig than your legality Where as in the North Part of the state, where MOST state funding goes, they are a little anal about legality and dont care much for your rig.

Cross your fingers for me. Im off to install my new WARN bumper...in the snow.

Mike

ok i have done it and more than one time .you are put on truck scales to weigh the vehicals full weight.as they are doing this they are looking at how everything is done is it safe are there steering issues ,tires,hubs wheelbearings ,make sure you have a working parking brake,this type of thing.then and this was a few years ago you pull the driverside wheels on to what i believe was a 15 or 20 degree angle .now your trucks left side is at a level plain but higher than the right side.your two passenger side tires are put on the scale to measure the amount of load shift to those two tires.at this point they have two numbers to an equation.they take those two number to determine wether the rig can take a certain radius turn at 55mph . now the fun part they don't support you truck in the least .if it tips you have to pay for a tow truck to come scoop it up and tow it back to where it came from. now the truth .as scary as this might sound that they put you up on an angle as much as you fell you are going to tip you will never even come close.i thought it the first time i went thru thisis also a time when you drove it up on the ramp yourself .i crapped myself ,thought it was scray as s&$t .but now that i have wheeled for years and have seen what it takes to actually tip a rig i see it as a joke and i would play on it just for fun.i have seen trucks go over .one was a 70's chevy that was one 44 inch tires and had why to much lift for the tires .i think you need 12 to clear them and be safe with some fender cutting .this guy had like 18 to 20 just not right .he went up would have done fine but cut the wheel to hard the wrong way and did himself in.

FAILED

don't worry if they have taken the chance of you doing it away .they do it every day they are at work .they can go up and down that thing with out a worry.and as far as which one to go to . go to Winslow best guys out there. if you have Dave do it you are in.he loves jeeps.wait till you go in their office.

Last edited:
can i ask how much lift? what kinda lift is it? how big a tire you run? how high is you door sill height from what it was ?they will only allow for so much if you are over this you are done before you even get started.they also do all this before you go thru emmisions testing and the regular line.they figure whats the sense of wasting their time if it can't pass stabilty.call down there as soon as possible you should get thru with like a month wait sometimes less sometimes more.i usually got it a month from when i called

Ive got till the end of FEB. Not much time at all. Im in an '01 4.5 inches on 32's, the weight and wear bring it down to about 3.5 inches. Dont know the sill height. Think I may take it locally and pay someone off for the sticker.

dude you'll clear with flying colors.lets put it this way i put a call into those guys before ever turned a bolt on mine to see what they would let go .thats when i went 8 inches with 35's so i wouldn't worry about it.plus i'm also have friends back in Jersey that run 33's on 6 inches .so you will go thru with out an issue as long as you have a manufactored kit .you are golden .you walk in there with a obvious home brew kit and thats when they get really picky.