• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie Looking for wheeling trails

Should read (1 NAXJA trip and 1 met n greet) not "91naxja trip" and no I don't drool everytime I see Jes's rig, I just respect the work he has done to it.

i have a rustys 4.5 inch lift running 35sw/ lockers on both ends and havent had any problems other than snapping my track bar relocation bracket which the replaced for free.rustys pretty cool,usually really helpful.the springs in my lift are alittle soft for my taste,i tend to drive a little fast and where i live theres looottts of fireroad type trails.speaking of where i live do any of you guys veture down to the june lake mammoth lakes area,theres a local club but their runs usually consist of the fire roads i was talking about.theres some more dificult trails around body into nv. and inthe white mtns but both are desolate and i hate going by my self(i lost my ignition once about 30 miles out)i would also like to know of runs up inthe tahoe area im about 2 hrs south of south lake tahoe.

I 2nd the Backcountry Adventures: Northern California book. It is very good and most of the trails in the book can be done with a stock rig. I have a 95' stock xj that I'm going to put a 4-1/2 lift & 33's on once I sell my 94' yj with 10" lift. The book is very good and has around 250 trails in Northern Cal and rates the trails. I would suggest getting a good GPS unit, but you don't absolutely need it. I moved to Sacramento from Chicago this year mainly to do the awesome Norcal trails as well as have better weather year round. The trail book runs around $30 and you can get it at 4 wheel wholesalers or Central 4 wheel drive. I know there is a 4 wheel wholesalers in Oakland off of 101 I believe close to the Raiders stadium. The author of this book did all the trails in this book with a stock to mildly modified Toyota 4 runner, so an xj shouldn't have too much trouble either. Prairie City by my house is pretty good if you're in the area, but not that great. It is good to get some practice off-road and learn a little about your vehicle, plus it only costs $4 for a 1 day pass. I don't care for it too much because California has so much awesome scenery and you can just as easily be in the woods while you wheel. I guess I just appreciate Cal more because I come from flat and boring Illinois. :D Cow mountain around Ukiah is also very nice and not to far from you in San Rafael. This board is a good place to get loads of info on xj's.

Back