• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Zero-Mile HP Dana 50 solid front

PavementPounder

NAXJA Forum User
Don't know its age for certain (suspect 1999 due to a date code found on a tube), but it never made it into a truck. Based on the paint marks on the cover bolts, I believe I'm the first person to open it since it was "manufactured". Cut down the long side. :thumb:

• Standard 8x6.5" pattern.
  • High-pinion, Ball joint, unit bearing.
  • ~73" WMS.
  • 3.5" tubes.
  • 3.54 open.
  • ABS sensors/wires/connectors intact.
  • Brakes complete.
  • Full 4-link bracketry with coil buckets.
  • Steering arms nice and high-up on the knuckle.
  • Coil buckets are 42" center-to-center
No steering linkage.

$1000. Available immediately. Cash, PayPal, or USPS Money Order only. No other money orders.

Not having to deal with driving or shipping it anywhere will result in flexibility on the price.

verification_seal.gif

SDFordHPD501.JPG

SDFordHPD502.JPG

SDFordHPD503.JPG

SDFordHPD504.JPG

SDFordHPD505.JPG

SDFordHPD506.JPG

SDFordHPD507.JPG

SDFordHPD508.JPG

SDFordHPD509.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it matters, but I suspect it's newer than '99...

Metric 8-lug sounds like a SuperDuty to me, and they were leaf-sprung til 2005.

Robert

Not that it matters, but I suspect it's newer than '99...

Metric 8-lug sounds like a SuperDuty to me, and they were leaf-sprung til 2005.

Robert

That axle has had me confused for weeks. We just put a lift on a '07 Superduty, and the coil mounts and radius arm brackets look nothing like your axle's.

The axle appears to be ford because of the high pinion, but the brackets look like dodge 4-link. Ford never made a dana 50, or 60 that was coil sprung with 4-link suspension, they were all leaf sprung until '05 and radius arms after that. The new superdutys have radius arms with mounts that look similar to the upper control arm mounts on cherokee axles, they have the bushings in the mounts.

I've already had all the arguments about what this axle might be on other boards - especially the Dodge argument since this axle was born right around the time that AAM was trying to muscle its way into Dana territory.

Just give up on trying to figure out what factory application it is, as this thing didn't go into production. Whomever buys it is going to use it for a custom application anyway, so just consider it for what it is and the off-the-shelf and AAM-looking parts it contains.

My personal theories based on the diff model, lack of lockouts, and its age, is that perhaps Ford was dicking around with options for the Excursion prior to giving it the axe, or they were giving AAM consideration. The bracketry and knuckles do look very much like the 2004 AAM 925 that I had in my possession for some time, but they also share a resemblance to the brackets on my 98 Ram's D60.

Hm. Cool.

When you said "Never made it into a truck," I thought you meant this particular axle was never installed. Like NOS...

Didn't know it was "Never used in a production vehicle..."

Robert

Hm. Cool.

When you said "Never made it into a truck," I thought you meant this particular axle was never installed. Like NOS...

Didn't know it was "Never used in a production vehicle..."

Robert

Well, I haven't been able to determine its application to date. I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that wasn't used in something at some point, but nobody else has been able to either, and the BOM is one of those that does not work. That hasn't stopped me before, as its not really in a manufacturer's best interest to use custom parts in a new design and most axles like this I have seen/handled still used bearings and other parts that were off the shelf.

Sorry for not being more clear. When I get some free time I'll pull the shafts to verify spline count, joint size, shaft diameter, and also to check the unit bearing bolt pattern to see if its one of the standard 4-bolt patterns currently used on 8x6.5" applications.

Last edited:
Well, I finally managed to get my hands on a 8x170mm wheel to fit for pictures. Unfortunately, the biatch would not go on. :doh:

Although this is a Ford axle and has a 1999 date code, its 8x6.5". Must have been one of the last trial builds prior to going metric. Based on the reputation of its previous owner, I just trusted that he had verified this and never bothered to do it myself. Shame on me. I asked a Mod to edit the first post.

On the bright side, this makes it much more practical to use. I will stick with my most recently posted price of $800 picked-up, as well. :thumbup:

Any information would be helpful.

SKA 1642147-1 8-13-99.

No guarantees, but I'll see what I can find.

Dumb question - did you try it with or without the leading "1" - as in running "642147-1" instead? And, the cover does have "DANA" stamped on the outside, right? Your picture is of the inside, and certainly does look like a Dana axle.

I know - dumb questions. But, it never hurts to make sure, y'know?

Back