• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New tech filled mod!!!

Which gauge setup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh absolutly. I truly feel thatt this is going to give me a GREAT platform for some great tube work. The dash is such a limiting factor into how narrow you can make your rig. Good example is FarmerMatts CAT. We narrowed it all the way to the edges of the dash. Without loosing the dash you cant go narrower.

In hindsight, this has turned out to be more fun and more work than I imagined. I just wish time was not such a huge constraint. I would have liked to have gotten the tailgate and front bumper built. But wheeling is wheeling. I just want to go out and have fun now.

Well Its about time this is wrapped up for the time being.

The last couple weeks have been small yet important tasks. I have bedlined the floor and firewall, sadly didnt have enough to do the roof. I painted everything, and mounted a few misc. things.

Today was a tough day. Had to take the old 30 out and put the new one in. I wish I could have foreseen the problems I would have run into, but se' la vi.

Had to build shock mounts, rework the LCA mounts, rework the trackbar mount, and do alittle to the steering. All in all it was a LONG day to swap an axle.

Here is how it turned out though.
sss0100pp.jpg

Had the 40 mile drive home, which considering all, went relativly well. Not sure yet what noise my front end is making, but I can check that tomorrow. Probly crap in between the pads and rotors. No bad gear noise or new vibes. I know ALOT of people have 4.56s and 33s but it seemed really under powered.

Here it is sittin in its temporary spot.
sss0096sr.jpg

I am really happy with how it turned out, not finished by anymeans. But I can wheel, thats whats important.

Matt

I didnt know what to expect. Of course I dont have my speedo hooked up yet, need to junk yard a cable. But with a car driving in front for reference, 70mph seemed... pushin it. We shall see, I havnt drivin a XJ in sooo long that my memory has faded.

yes its a non HO with AW4

Don't forget that you really changed the aerodynamics of your XJ....

I did this to mine:

100_2506_001.sized.jpg

100_2617_001.sized.jpg

and at hwy way speeds it is a real dog with a tons of wind turbulence... you would think without a windshield it would just blow right through, but it also trailers worst than my other XJ that sits about 6" higher on the trailer (but still has a full cab and all glass)...

Last edited:
Asher said:
Don't forget that you really changed the aerodynamics of your XJ....

I did this to mine:

100_2506_001.sized.jpg

100_2617_001.sized.jpg

and at hwy way speeds it is a real dog with a tons of wind turbulence... you would think without a windshield it would just blow right through, but it also trailers worst than my other XJ that sits about 6" higher on the trailer (but still has a full cab and all glass)...

You got more photos of that? I like the idea, just wanna see more of it!

BTW, welcome to NAXJA

Thanks

DAryl

That looks like a great parts donor parked right next to your rig. (the yellow one that says "CAT" on it) :wave:

JEONLYEP said:
You got more photos of that? I like the idea, just wanna see more of it!

BTW, welcome to NAXJA

Thanks

DAryl

Thanks for the welcome, I will try and dig up some pictures. The cage still needs some corner bracing, but the front tubes run down between the doors and dash and tie into the 2x6 rockers, the B tube runs inside of whats left of the door frame and ties into the rocker also, and the same for the C tube down to the rocker, the D pillar runs behind the tail lights and ties into the rear 4x4 bumper with 2x4 end caps. I built the cage trying to keep the interior space to a maximum, I don't bang my head, or hit it anywhere (in any of the seats) but it is no bigger than the factory roof line.

Sorry didn't mean to highjack the thread so I will try and send you an e-mail if I find more pictures.

[edit]
forgot I had some pictures on the clubs web site, try these.
http://www.midriversjeepthing.com/m...lery&file=index&include=view_album.php&page=1

note, the pipe bender in the pic is not what I used to make my bends..

Thanks for asking,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back