• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New tech filled mod!!!

Which gauge setup?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
for gauges, how about a mix of the two, throw the two most used gauges up on the pillar, and the rest lower.

for the seat, I would go with the bent tubing in the front, bring the front down some, I may be reading the pic wrong, but it looks like a lot going on around the "foot" well.. I have 13's and I need room not to get hung up, specially getting in and out... but in all, i am jealous of the cage...

I dont want any adjustment in the seats. As of now at least.

Ed: I did initially want to have the front cross tube touching the hump so I could weld the floor to the tubing. But, after looking at it, It would elimitate the ability to remove the tcase shifter. So it must stay at least that high. Plus it will give me a point to tie in my tubular center console, which I should have made this weekend.

Ludakris: Yes the "foot well" is tight. But surprisingly comforatble. I can explain why I made it like it is.

My cage is based off of two main hoops. One on each side. I wanted as little bends as possible and wanted to keep the Apillar straight. I also wanted the cage to be DIRECTLY over the psuedo frame for maximum strength. The a pillar is nearly completly over the top of the control arm mounts. My middle tie in point is directly over the front spring hanger. And the rear most mount is above the rear shackle. My goal is to grab the most structurally important parts and start off them. I PLAN on finishing everything off with an engine cage and tieing it all together from front bumper to back bumper. Roof rack to rockers.

Matt

Scrappy said:
This is the back view. That bar that runs side to side is a second floor. To mount a spare and keep everything underneath in place.
backnobumper6ji.jpg

seatmock3uf.jpg

Matt

You're going to put the spare on top of that "shelf"? If so, why? Seems like you'd wanna keep that much weight as low as possible :confused:
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
You're going to put the spare on top of that "shelf"? If so, why? Seems like you'd wanna keep that much weight as low as possible :confused:
Billy

I know, I know. Low COG is goood. But I still have to put all my crap in there! I usually always carry a medium size Ice chest, a small case of tools, lots of spares. To be honest, I am REALLY tires of having to pack it all so perfect to tie it down for that just in case roll over. So the "shelf" is my tie down. I'll call it my trunk! It only made sens to put the spare on the shelf. Its better than the roof dont you think?

I am not going to be on 33s,35s, or 37s forever. So i made it to accomodate up to a 42x13.50 tire. And when its that big, you cant put it an where else can you?

Matt

Scrappy said:
I know, I know. Low COG is goood. But I still have to put all my crap in there! I usually always carry a medium size Ice chest, a small case of tools, lots of spares. To be honest, I am REALLY tires of having to pack it all so perfect to tie it down for that just in case roll over. So the "shelf" is my tie down. I'll call it my trunk! It only made sens to put the spare on the shelf. Its better than the roof dont you think?

I am not going to be on 33s,35s, or 37s forever. So i made it to accomodate up to a 42x13.50 tire. And when its that big, you cant put it an where else can you?

Matt

Fair enough, but why not lower the shelf a bit and put the tire under it, then put your crap on top?
Billy

Scrappy said:
To be honest, I am REALLY tires of having to pack it all so perfect to tie it down for that just in case roll over. So the "shelf" is my tie down. I'll call it my trunk! It only made sens to put the spare on the shelf. Its better than the roof dont you think?
Matt

Did you catch BigRed's reading comprehension disease? :wave:

My comment would be that everything is a compromise. I run the spare on the roof of my JD cause with the wife & 2 boys + camping gear it leaves very little room "under cover" left. I am fully aware it isn't the ideal place for it, but so what. Hell, his spare's going to sit lower than the one on my CAT & it weighs less too.

Matt

Reactions: Jes
on the topic of the spare... it looks like it will really kill your rear visability there also. I would put it on the floor and use a shelf for the ice-chest, camping stuff, etc. That stuff will typically weigh less, and will be left at camp anyway in places like JV, leaving you better visability and COG for the trail.

just my opinion. like farmermatt said, everything's a compromise

BrettM said:
on the topic of the spare... it looks like it will really kill your rear visability there also. I would put it on the floor and use a shelf for the ice-chest, camping stuff, etc. That stuff will typically weigh less, and will be left at camp anyway in places like JV, leaving you better visability and COG for the trail.

just my opinion. like farmermatt said, everything's a compromise

I agree with FarmerMatt too, but I don't see what the compromise is with switching the place of the spare with the camping stuff.
Billy

JeepFreak21 said:
I agree with FarmerMatt too, but I don't see what the compromise is with switching the place of the spare with the camping stuff.
Billy
The compromise is that he'd have to strap down all the stuff as opposed to just strapping down a spare.
Spare on top for trail runs, spare on the bottom for gettin' it runs.
Question is, does he "get it"?

Matt, I had a bad disease this morning. Wait, no it was 5:30 in the morning! :laugh3:

I know its going to be a visibility problem, but get real. Guys put there 35" spare on the bumper. You cant possibly tell me that is JUST as bad! When I dont have 3 days worth of JUNK, then yes, the spare will be below.

"get it" hmmm.. I get alot of stuff. But, its been quite long since I had something I could get it on with! How about this? I wont claim to get it (ever) until you tell me I can "get it". Can you handle that?

I will give an update with the seat mounts this weekend. Spending saturday and sunday gettin' it with the welder.

Matt

IMO - I would change the floor mount design of the cage, it seems like theres going to be alot of pipe in the way when scrambling for the pedals.

Badcop said:
IMO - I would change the floor mount design of the cage, it seems like theres going to be alot of pipe in the way when scrambling for the pedals.

Its much roomier than it looks. Fuction over form is at the top of my rule book. If i had a manual, than this cage would be horrible to have. I personally like it MUCH better than most cages Apillar designs. I also think it works out better having it over the frame rail because the door bars are bent out to meet the Bpillar. Creates a driver/passenger c0ckpit feel.

I really wanted a racing feel to the driver area. hopefully that is what I will have made.

Matt

Last edited:
Jes said:
The compromise is that he'd have to strap down all the stuff as opposed to just strapping down a spare.
Spare on top for trail runs, spare on the bottom for gettin' it runs.
Question is, does he "get it"?
So where does he put it for "gettin it done"?

Man, what a looooong day! Got quite alot done this saturday, its very motivating to have it comming together nicely. Here are the NEW and FINAL seat mounts. These work much better and still are comfortable.

These are the seat rails. I have the front dipped down about 4 more inches than it was previously. The rear is nearly the same. Which is lower than stock anyways.

newseatmounts52ed.jpg

Here is the seat in its new mocked position.

newseatmounts48sm.jpg

Side view of the new mounts. To show the difference between my first try and second!

newseatmounts0si.jpg

newseatmounts30pl.jpg

Also worked on a few other small things today. So much to do!!
No more rear windows for now. Prep for paint and hopefully lexan replacements.
nowindow28fh.jpg

Tore into the front axle. HP30 disconnect with non disco shafts. 760x joints. 4.56s aussie locker and soon to be lots of trussing. This is the start!
barehousing6ea.jpg

here is the carrier with stuff installed. Dont have any pictures of the diff buttoned up.
lockerinstalled2xw.jpg

well thats all I got for now. Going back at it tomorrow to actually mount the seats and start adding all the gussets for the cage work. thanks for the help and ideas! bring em' if you got em'!

Matt (not gettin' it yet)

No plans on chopping. I hope I dont ever HAVE to chop it. I want to keep it full body as long as I can. The tail gate is going to replace the hatch, well half of it at least. I am hoping to fab up a half hatch that is removable. I dont want the weight of the full hatch, but dont want to have to take it on and off all the time.

so a tailgate SHOULD fit in with some work. Then make a sliding hinge setup for the top half of the hatch. Quick 100 pounds on and off like that. Hope it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back