• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Story - '85 Original diesel Jeep restoration!

They do get good mileage. 33mpg highway cruise in 2wd with a light foot is absolutely doable.

I think i am gonna cry! :bawl: Is that in US gallons or Imperial?

:D That would be US gallons :)
Do note that we're talking stock wheels too. Even 31s should have some impact on the mileage..
I still suspect those are slightly better numbers than most 4.0's would get :D

That's the 2.5 VM diesel.. Widely known as a crap engine. They were originally built as boat engines and have major cooling issues in cars.
Most 2.5's get cracked heads (4 of them) and bent pushrods over time. The general advise over here is to stay away from them...

I wouldn't mind having one of those with close to zero miles on it tho :)

I have had 2 2.5 diesel cherokees a 94 and 98 model. Both of them threw and bent pushrods on cold start up. Pulss well on highway. loads of torque.

I figure I owe everybody here an update.

The old Jeep did run and drive, however, the starter housing cracked on the transmission and financial, then weather problems stopped me from finishing the project for a few months.

Basically the transmission is going to get its housing welded and everything reinstalled hopefully by next week. I cleaned out most of the old wiring. I'm getting the legal E's figured out for the title on my donor chassis but I should be rolling legally in a month. It had a severe steering shimmy when I last drove it but I will diagnose that when the time comes. Then I have to reconstruct the crankcase ventilation system.

I am pretty optimistic overall about the project. I can't believe how sweet that old engine runs. It sounds cool when that turbo spools up too. :D I figure 2 or 3 months before I get it into the shape I want it in but it is coming along nicely thus far and should be completely drivable within a month.

Congrats on the progress. I would really like to see a video of it when it's rollin' again!

Back