• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Project, PC XJ

langer1 said:
I started a new Project I want to integrate a laptop with my 89 XJ.
Here are some pictures so far.
I plan to do a full write up and post it to my website if there’s interest.

So far I'm online moble and have full gps up and running.
I think a tablet PC would be a better fit. I bought Fujitsu Stylistic 3500 for $235 and plan on using it. There was a writeup about a tablet pc mounted in UAZ, but I can not find it anymore.
I can not see on the picture, how did you mount your laptop ?

I will never buy another computer that is not a tablet. I love it, but took a few months to really get used to using it.

I have seen laptops mounted with flat screen monitor arms before. Industrial Velcro to attach the laptop

http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsystems/rampodiii.htm

This is what I'm getting. I've seen this setup in an XJ and it's STOUT. Adding the screen holder to keep the LCD from flopping around, and putting a USB LED lamp on a hub with other accessories. ;)

I just picked up the DeLorme TOPO USA software, FINALLY...after seeing the original version demo years ago. I'm liking it so far for making maps of wheeling areas.

Slonopotam said:
I would be very much surprised those frequencies would work anywhere except in your garage. Unless you plan on search and resque there, it should be useless. Cell phones are almost useless on trails, aren't they ?

Depends on the trail. A lot of trails around here tend to follow hydro access roads which tend to be fully covered.

For the rest look into short wave.

ECKSJAY said:
http://www.ram-mount.com/nodrillsystems/rampodiii.htm

This is what I'm getting. I've seen this setup in an XJ and it's STOUT. Adding the screen holder to keep the LCD from flopping around, and putting a USB LED lamp on a hub with other accessories. ;)

I just picked up the DeLorme TOPO USA software, FINALLY...after seeing the original version demo years ago. I'm liking it so far for making maps of wheeling areas.

I just bought one, Thanks for the link. Thats exactly what I have been looking for. I can transfer it form the XJ to the Suburban. I will be road tripping alot this summer so no more holding it on the lap or sucking up all the console space.

I use
Delorme TOPO USA 5.0
Delorme Street Atlas 2006 (Voice works great)
Microsoft Streets and Trips 2005

kscherokee said:
Is it easy to use?

Is what easy to use, the software? I've figured it out OK on my own, but I'm also a geek for this kinda stuff. Your question was kinda confusing after you cut out most of my statement. ;) I don't have the mount yet, but I liked the ones I saw!

Moose, how do you like that mini-ATX ? I have been reading up on those and the micro's for complete incab control with voice command. Can't muster up the money now though.

imma honky said:
Moose, how do you like that mini-ATX ? I have been reading up on those and the micro's for complete incab control with voice command. Can't muster up the money now though.
In my opinion, there are better options. Sure, the VIA EPIA is low power, heat, rugged, etc. but support from VIA is lacking and more "horsepower" is a good thing.

If I had my time over again I would probably look at the Intel P4 based Mini-ITX motherboards or try the flex/mini-ATX format OR switch to the new Intel Mac Mini (5.1 audio on mobo is why new model interests me; no money to throw at externalUSB audio required) and make the system run under OSX w/ X-Window/FVWM.

If I didn't have money into the prototype and a dev box I'd most likely go MiniMac.

Did they ever fix the Delorme Street Atlas so that it dynamically reroutes if you get lost. I think the last one I tried was 2003 and it would just constantly say "off route, off route..." when you got lost. It was the most annoying thing in the world.

I am about to get a notebook for my wife to use at work but want to run some mapping software as well when touring around the Outback. I noticed the new notebooks dont come with a serial port anymore which is what my Garmin III+ needs. Should be an adaptor out there that will do a serial to USB conection and work fine that way shouldn't it?

Here's how I did mine.

lapopen.JPG

I use ExpertGPS for following my location in either topo maps, or aerial photos.

lapover.JPG

I flip the screen down to get to the radio or heater controls.
You can see the GPSr on the dash.

lapunder.JPG

The view from below.

lapbracketdown.JPG

The bracket with out the laptop.

lapbracketup.JPG

The bracket folded up.

DAryl

Gojeep said:
I am about to get a notebook for my wife to use at work but want to run some mapping software as well when touring around the Outback. I noticed the new notebooks dont come with a serial port anymore which is what my Garmin III+ needs. Should be an adaptor out there that will do a serial to USB conection and work fine that way shouldn't it?
CPTC00A.jpg

Last edited:
I'm so confused.. shouldn't a laptop be used on your lap...

Back