• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New NAXJA sponsor! Boostwerks brings you the first 4.0L turbo manifold!

Could you compare your BBK with the WJ swap, that so many do, in terms of stopping power? Your kit looks awsome, I was just curious how they might compare on stopping ability.

Picture this....2wd Comanche + 4.7 Stroker + Turbo = Sleeper :speepin:

4 piston calipers = the sex...
6 piston.....oooohhhh baby lol
wj brakes = ya, pretty damn good (2 piston right?)

I see your point. :doh:

We havn't yet. However we have several people that are interested and might be working out a deal to test one out locally.

Thanks guys,
Bryson

I am not local but pm me the details, Maybe we can work something out. I am no stranger to tuning cars. I have used everything from the old Tuner Cats to HPTuners. I would love to see my old tj get some get up and go.

calculated it out once, WJ calipers have a 56% improvement in piston area vs stock mid-90s (I believe I used piston diameters pulled for model year 96, not sure) units, and that's not including the improvement from the (I believe) larger distance between the shaft centerline and the center of the brake pad contact pattern, either. All that really matters (unless I'm wrong, of course) is total piston area vs stock + difference in distance from centerline. So assuming the distance from the centerline is the same (most likely worst case, I can't see it being lower) just square the piston radius, multiply by the number of pistons, then divide by the squared stock piston radius to get the ratio of improvement. Subtract 1 and multiply by 100 to get percentage improvement.

calculated it out once, WJ calipers have a 56% improvement in piston area vs stock mid-90s (I believe I used piston diameters pulled for model year 96, not sure) units, and that's not including the improvement from the (I believe) larger distance between the shaft centerline and the center of the brake pad contact pattern, either. All that really matters (unless I'm wrong, of course) is total piston area vs stock + difference in distance from centerline. So assuming the distance from the centerline is the same (most likely worst case, I can't see it being lower) just square the piston radius, multiply by the number of pistons, then divide by the squared stock piston radius to get the ratio of improvement. Subtract 1 and multiply by 100 to get percentage improvement.

Unfortunetly it's not as easy as comparing piston area. It is a good crude method to determine roughly how much clamping force there will be compared to another caliper...etc, but there are other factors to take into account as well...

Lug mount VS rail mount - Lug mount calipers will always result in a better brake "feel" compared to a slide rail mounted caliper. This is because a rail mounted caliper can actually twist on the rails as the brakes are applied. Have you ever changed out pads and found that they had an unusual angle'd wear pattern? Since the lug mounted caliper doesn't move under braking, the forces applied accross all 4 pistons are much effectively distributed.

Piston surface area. - You can have a lot of piston surface area, but none of that matters if it doesn't spread evenly accross the surface of the pad. This is primarily the benefit of twin/four/six piston calipers as they spread the load over the entire pad surface instead of just the center like a single piston.

The WJ swap is a great upgrade for someone who wants to keep all factory parts, but for the $ our 4 piston upgrade puts it to shame. You'll end up with a stronger wheel bearing assembily along with enough brake to lock up 35s. :patriot:

fab066-1.jpg

Pardon me for a silly question but it looks like the inlet on the turbo is pointing right at the motor mount, could that just be the angle the picture was taken at? Or how do you plumb in the air cleaner and the intercooler?

Pardon me for a silly question but it looks like the inlet on the turbo is pointing right at the motor mount, could that just be the angle the picture was taken at? Or how do you plumb in the air cleaner and the intercooler?
I was wondering that myself. Also, would it be possible to get some pics of the complete setup on the boostwerks XJ?

There was a thread with about a hundred pix a few weeks ago.

Back