• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Jersey Inspections

EdgarNYU

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone,

It may to inspect an old cherokee('91) with about 150K miles. It has a DYNOMAX EXHAUST and HIGH FLOW CAT.

I am in Secaucus NJ 07094

I need a place that'll PASS this. I want to get going REAL SOON.

Thanks

Last edited:
I don't have the vehicle yet. Just want to be ready. From what I understand the Jeep is TIP TOP. I just never dealt with the Dynomax and high flow cat before.

What do you think? Anything to worry about?

ALSO, there are garages that can do the inspections as well.

Last edited:
I have had good luck with the state inspection places recently, and that includes my 89 XJ with a 350 transplant, 5" of lift, 33s, and flowmaster SS exhaust. It was great they didnt even peak under the hood. I would have failed in a second. They thought it was loud (especially inside that building and on the emissions roller dyno at 1500 RPM) but it they looked underneath for holes, etc and it then passed. They also measured my lift and calculated 2.5" based on some book that they have and measuring from door edge to ground....that was close, because anything over 3" in NJ you have to go to the special place and get a rollover test, etc.

I would try the state places too. My two CJ-7s are in terrible shape emissions wise and they both passed, one without a cat.

good Luck!

JerseyJeeps,

I feel a whole lot better knowing this. I don't have any time off at work so I want to be able to do this in ONE day. BUY and then Register and Inspect.

I will really be joining the club hopefully.

EdgarNYU said:
Hey everyone,

It may to inspect an old cherokee('91) with about 150K miles. It has a DYNOMAX EXHAUST and HIGH FLOW CAT.

I am in Secaucus NJ 07094

I need a place that'll PASS this. I want to get going REAL SOON.

Thanks

Just wondering, with regards to these mods, if it would be better to go with a garage at $75+ or bite the bullet and let them see underneath?

Anything to be concerned with?

Hey there,
I just went through state inspection with my 01 with RE3.5SF. I threw on the stock tires and it failed the first time for the XJ crappy brake system. Adjusted the rear drums and they passed it. Did'nt measure it or anything.
Later,
Frank

Frank,

Thanks for helping me keep hope alive.

I guess later todayI'll find out if I can get the blasted "MNT REQD" light off.

Thanks

Edgar

edgar,
Unhook the neg. battery line and wait for like 20 min hook it back up and the light should go out..It worked for me a few times.. They plug right into the computer to look for any codes.. None showed up for mine..
Good luck,
Frank

Jersey Jeeper said:
edgar,
Unhook the neg. battery line and wait for like 20 min hook it back up and the light should go out..It worked for me a few times.. They plug right into the computer to look for any codes.. None showed up for mine..
Good luck,
Frank

9 out of 10 times that will not work. when the jeep gets pluged into the machine is checks to see if the system is working properly, or if the system is ready. if you disconnect the battery right before you go you will get a "readyness code" which you will fail for. 96 to 2000 your allowed 2 readyness codes and for 2001 and newer your alowed only 1. But your kinda lucky since your jeep is a 91 it doesnt even get pluged into the machine. you just get a dyno test, where they get a rpm reading and a exhaust gas test. which proably wont pass anyway. there is a reason that the check engine light is on, fix it!!!! If you cant afford to fix it dont drive it!!!

pete

PeterBuilt said:
9 out of 10 times that will not work. when the jeep gets pluged into the machine is checks to see if the system is working properly, or if the system is ready. if you disconnect the battery right before you go you will get a "readyness code" which you will fail for. 96 to 2000 your allowed 2 readyness codes and for 2001 and newer your alowed only 1. But your kinda lucky since your jeep is a 91 it doesnt even get pluged into the machine. you just get a dyno test, where they get a rpm reading and a exhaust gas test. which proably wont pass anyway. there is a reason that the check engine light is on, fix it!!!! If you cant afford to fix it dont drive it!!!

pete

I did mine not right before, it was actually a couple of months ago..All you can do is go and get it inspected and if it fails at least you have a month to get fixed what you failed for.. The Sunoco by me wants 100 bucks for them to do the inspection.For that price you can go and fail the state inspection and fix the problem...
Later,
Frank

Edgar;
Getting back to the original post...if all your worried about is a Dynomax and a hi-flo cat, you have nothing to worry about. Any state inspec station will pass you. Why do I get the feeling there is a whole lot more wrong with the rig? Do it up right man.............

1.with that exhuast you will have no problem
2.even if you had a 350 it will still pass.there is nothing in New Jersey as far as i remember about changing motors
3.you are before OBDII so you just get dynoed
4.you don't have to get tilt tested till you are 4 inches
5.if you fixed the reason why the Engine light is on you can do a few things.1 turn the key to on(don't start) 16 times the computer will only remember 16 turns.2 go to a local parts store most have scanners and will scan for free.

I wrote this in the "Need Help Clearing Code" thread but i removed the dash and messed with the light and now it is OFF. I tried looking for the box under the steering column to disco the plug for it, couldn't find it. So I was desperate. Now it's off. Whoopee.

Nokin, you are right. There is some work to be done. Front left Hub needs replacing, and valve cover gasket needs replacing too. Other than that... I don't know what else could possibly need repair.

I have two options:
1) I found a place that is extremely on OUR side so far as inspections go and has a garage fee

OR

2) State inspection (no charge)

Option #1 was great because the light would be a non-issue and a most likely PASS

Option #2 was almost a sure FAIL because of the light and hub(maybe other things)

#1 won't necessarily tell me everything because I just want the Jeep to PASS

#2 Will tell me everything because it is their job to FAIL problems

State inspections will record everything that is wrong and MUST be fixed in a month while garage is a come back whenever(I think).

Glad there is no computer hookup. So I'm leaning towards the the Inspection station FIRST and maybe garage SECOND if I need it.

What would you choose?

sorry but a garage and state inspection have to treat you the same way or it's thier license and fines.a garage will just want to do the work for you to get you to pass and make some money.

were do you live in Jersey .i have a few friends that own shops and do inspections down in the Berlin area. i could refer you to them if you like .as for state inspection the one down in Winslow is known to be the better state run inspection for lifted Jeeps

Wil,

That'll be great. I'm leaning towards state inspection since everyone here has posted that a high cat and DynoMax exhaust is no biggie.

Other than that, do you thinik the light off now, by my hand, will be an issue?

I'm going this afternoon. Wish me luck.

BTW, sent you a Pm

if you sent a PM you didn't send it to me .i didn't receive one.like it was mentioned before, the lightis on for a reason and pulling the bulb is not the anwser.go to a parts store and have them scan it for free they can also clear anything that comes up even if its for routine maintance.

Secaucus, NJ wow your up there huh.i'm from south jersey but i have friends up that way i can ask them for places to go.

much obliged.

BTW, at this point, which way would you go?

I mean the inspection station isn't gonna check for it, are they?

no because you are OBDI so it will just get thrown on a dyno.they won't check into it .but it's on for a reason wouldn't you like to know why.i always go to state inspection .why pay for something you can get for free

Back