• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New guy

Tony8470

NAXJA Forum User
I didn't see any noob intro forum so I'll post here.
I'm going to be buying a jeep this week
1990 cherokee laredo with 120,000 miles

Mostly as a winter beater but I saw on ebay there are some lift kits for only 300-400 bucks with everything? How can that be? Thats so cheap, and for that price I would be more than willing to do that.

I also was wondering if there was anything I should look for, common problems, or neglect issues. It needs a tune up, there is a slight miss, so is there anything else I should tackle when I do the tune up?

Welcome to the Drug known as the jeep world once you enter you'll never be the same. As for the lift you get what you pay for depends on the brand Rough country gets a bad rep around here but have a couple of friends with them and no issues. Do your tune up and change the fluids (diffs,t-case,trans, and oil) drain radiator put in a new tstat and fill her up with clean antifreeze and you should be good.Enjoy its an addiction.
Jeff

Yeah I think it was rough country brand. Now I'm sure I won't ever take the jeep to the extremes that some of you do, I guess it will suit me fine then. There has to be some sort of problems these vehicles are prone to though, any ideas you can throw my way?

Welcome. Jeeps are cool. Jeeps are fun. So's the search button ;) Just to help you out here, really. Use the search button and you'll find a lot of answers to your questions.. Enjoy your stay. :) Again, welcome.

So I just took it out in the yard to see what 4x4 really means. Remember this 4wd stuff is all new to me. Everyone told me not to use 4wd on the road but the manual says I can. I won't anyways just for safe keeping. Before I got back on the road I pushed the lever back down and the lights for 4wd turned off. I get on the road and make the turn to get into my driveway. The turning radius was larger (like they told me). And I let off a little bit. There a big thunk and the jeep rocked a little bit. Is this somewhat normal? Or did I just break something?

Cliff notes: I turned with the 4wd not all the way off and there was a big thunk. Did I mess something up?

Could've been the driveline binding and then releasing or whatever. Could be bad, could be nothing, just don't do it again :) I used to drive my old Tracker to and from the dirt (only very short distances) on pavement when runnin to grab something from a friend's house. No problems with it, but that's not necessarily always gonna be the case. It uses Champion spark plugs from the factory. Wait til you have to replace the front bearings the first time. They're bastards. They're sealed unit bearings so you can't just repack them (unless someone here knows a way??). Its usually a $3-500 job. Invest in a decent radiator, they tend to run hot. There's more, etc but I'll let you look around. Great group of guys, great vehicle. Try to avoid add-a-leaf lifts. When you upgrade, the add-a-leaf is no longer usable, they sag pre-maturely, and can kill a set of springs pretty easily...

First off welcome and be sure to have all the fluid levels checked and so forth and second WHATS WRONG WITH ROUGH COUNTRY???? THATS WHAT MY LIFT IS AND I HAVNT HAD THAT MANY PROBLEMS...

Back