• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New and improved battery cables

how long did it take you?

about two and a half hours. would have been less if I wasnt trying to remember what I was doing to write this and take pictures

I had some running from my fenderwell to the B- for a while, but it was so tall it was higher than the hood prop catch, and wouldn't let the prop fall into it's little home. So now everything is 1 gauge.

You're nuts lol. Bet that was fun bending.

Its welding cable like Polar said, and its surprisingly flexible. One of my friends said it looked like I had a garden hose going to my starter lol. I was going to run 2/0 to the starter on my race car(from the trunk) but decided against when I realized how heavy 18ft of 2/0 is!

Its welding cable like Polar said, and its surprisingly flexible. One of my friends said it looked like I had a garden hose going to my starter lol. I was going to run 2/0 to the starter on my race car(from the trunk) but decided against when I realized how heavy 18ft of 2/0 is!

2/0 isn't to bad, I had a customer request 3/0 on his 69 firebird from the truck to the isolator. 4/0 is a killer!!!

To everyone interested in this wiring kit, stay tuned in the vendor's section, there will be a special happening soon on many wiring accessories!

anything above 2/0 I think is just stupid. Looks? Or the novelty maybe? It can handle ABSURB amounts of power. Totally unnecessary.If I remember correctly I think 0000 can handle around 400 amps. Hell if I'm going to be putting anything on my rig that generates that much current! I used to work for a welding company, and 2/0 was the biggest we had on our giant welders. Like said, it gets heavy QUICK.

I just used 2/0 because I had it available. I will use 2/0 on my race car but only for the ground and between the + and the main disconnect. All in all about 24' of cable, my accesories all power up off of a 2 guage as well as my starter.

Haha wim I smile everytime I see "Hallo" at the beginning of your posts. For my application, I used 1 gauge. Only reason I didn't use 2, was 1 was about 15 cents more per foot, so I figured heck why not.

Haha wim I smile everytime I see "Hallo" at the beginning of your posts. For my application, I used 1 gauge. Only reason I didn't use 2, was 1 was about 15 cents more per foot, so I figured heck why not.

I offer the 1 ga. as well. But it's more ideal for 2 ga. unless you're running a 175+ amp.

Yea this is true. I finally overloaded my puny 90 amp alternator. I guess with six 100 watt lights up top, two 100 watt hella's in front, two 55 watt fogs, and the 2 normal headlights, it just can't take it anymore. If I run all of them at the same time, it whines and yells at me, and my battery gauge drops significantly. Time for that 160amp Durango.

Yea this is true. I finally overloaded my puny 90 amp alternator. I guess with six 100 watt lights up top, two 100 watt hella's in front, two 55 watt fogs, and the 2 normal headlights, it just can't take it anymore. If I run all of them at the same time, it whines and yells at me, and my battery gauge drops significantly. Time for that 160amp Durango.

Hallo. Time to show us with a pic what kind of light show you have there. :photo:

I've been running 2awg negative mains for a while now and really like them, and will install the positive mains as soon as I'm done. Way better than that stock wiring!

Haha will do Whim. I'm at the beach now, but will snap some pics when i get home.

When I built my upgraded battery cables about 6 years ago.... I used Fusion connectors on 2 ga (fine strand) for the battery cables and 4 ga (fine strand) for the cable going from the alternator to the PDC used marine grade moisture proof shrink tubing on all the connections.
To replace the fusible link in the factory 10 ga wire I installed a marine grade 32V 150A Mega bus fuse. Fabricated an additional stud on the outside of the PDC and mounted the fuse between them. Connected the cable from the battery to one terminal and the cable from the alternator to the other terminal.
Upgraded the alternator to a '98 ZJ 5.2L 136A alternator.....

standard.jpg

The fuse (fusible link) is necessary in case of system shorts.....

Back