• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

needed for stroker?

egotripp

NAXJA Forum User
Several yrs ago I had the 4.0HO in my 91 YJ rebuilt. It was bored .030 over. I'd like to turn it into a stroker for my XJ since the YJ is getting a V8. Would I just need crank and rods to turn it into a 4.7 stroker? Or is there more involved to it then that? It was really just a basic rebuild with a mild cam.

There's these new rods out that spring an additional .010" at the end of the stroke.

No offense to stroker owners, but from all the stroker nightmares I've seen on this and other sites you must really, really like working on engines to build one. Odds are it's gonna need to be taken apart several times.

Mine has not been apart in 15k miles. The only things I have had to do are routine maintenance. Oh, I also replaced a dizzy, but to be honest I should have replaced it during the build instead of being a cheapskate. There is nothing extreme to my build, but it is a 258 crank and rod based 4.7.

I see a lot of people who jumped in to building an engine based only on what the read on one forum. By that I mean that they know the steps and pieces needed to build this specific engine to a T, however they have done no research on engine building in general. They know the specifics but not the big picture.

It is the little things that will get you. For instance, I open every internal engine component's box at the parts counter. I found 4 opened rod bearings this way (no plastic wrap, one had a bit of oil on it like it had been handled. 2 more were lightly scratched. Had I not known better I may have used those and be replacing them in the near future.

It is the little things that will get you.

No offense to stroker owners, but from all the stroker nightmares I've seen on this and other sites you must really, really like working on engines to build one. Odds are it's gonna need to be taken apart several times.

Don't buy a titan and you'll be alright. :)

It's not rocket surgery.

LS/LQ truck motor swap > 4.0L+stroker

Don't buy a titan and you'll be alright. :)

It's not rocket surgery.

I know what you mean. Some guys never get one to work and others never seem to have any problems. The flat-cam thing was pretty widespread for a while. Didn't seem like many other newly built V-8 flat tappet motors were having the same problem then.

Even with the proper oil and correct break in there have been cams going flat. I had a Comp Cams fail, and I know of another Comp that failed just recently.

505's "roller" cam looks interesting, its just that you can't expect more than 60,000-150,000 miles at most out of it. It it was a true billet roller cam I would be all over that.

x2 on avoiding Titan.

Even with the proper oil and correct break in there have been cams going flat.

Including the Crane 753905 cam/lifters that I had in my 4.6 stroker. Two lifters and one cam lobe went bad after 34k miles and I'd been running Mobil 1. I threw my old stock cam back in with new lifters and haven't looked back since. That was the only time in 5-1/2 years that I had to go back into the engine. Now my stroker's done 58k miles and it still runs like a champ (knock on wood).

why would you recommend avoiding the titan crate motor?

Because it seems like everyone has a bad experience.

I had 3 stock cams to choose from when I built mine. I picked the best looking one, lucked out since one looked fantastic. No problems since. It was actually from the 1991 reman block that I broke. Had 50k on it.

I just got back from my machine shop, dropped off the last of the parts. The owner said he might start selling 4.6 short blocks.

Why not Titan? Because they are complete crap. I went as far as to drive my Jeep down there, they swapped my engine out with a new one, and on the way home it broke with valve train problems. Then I fix that and it developed rod knock. All under 6000 miles since I purchased it. And that was just the end, I'm leaving out all the crap that led up to that. Sure there is a warranty, but you can put a warranty on a piece of crap, but its still a piece of crap. And its not just me. There are several other people I know of that have had bad experiences with Titan.

I just got back from my machine shop, dropped off the last of the parts. The owner said he might start selling 4.6 short blocks.

Too bad WA is almost on the other side of the world from me. I don't get alot of free time and would rather get a short/long block from a trusted source. I'd go 505 but they want ridiculous amounts of money.

Back