• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some recon on RI ...

Bill, what's your plan? Are you staying through Friday night and heading for home on Saturday, or are you bookin' out of town as soon as class lets out on Friday?

Earle has Fridays off, and I think our parsimonious compatriot doesn't have classes on Friday, so Thursday evening might be as good as Friday for some of us. I'm unemployed, so either evening works for me. I don't think I'm up for any night wheeling in mid-December, though. I was bloody cold by the time we got BrokenXJ off the trail last weekend, and he broke at 3:00 p.m.

I don't know if Wright's Farm is open on Thursdays ... I thought it was weekends only. If Earle doesn't know I'm sure we can find out.

Harwood, I was planning to head for home Friday night. However, I could delay my departure for several hours to meet with the RI/CT folks for a good meal and some Jeep talk. I kind of specialize in late night runs, so it wouldn't hurt me at all to leave later into the night (and traffic would be less too :D ). If the crew thinks Wrights Farm on Friday the 12th will work I'll plan for it. I should be done between 4:30-5 pm in Warwick, so I'll be needing directions from there to the meeting place.

It makes little difference to me if it's Thursday or Friday. How about I call Earle tomorrow (Thursday) and ask if he has a preference (since he's not on-line and won't see this thread), and we'll go from there.

Ryan, do you have a preference?

Anybody else out there want to join this not-so-impromptu meet-&-greet?

Bill's only going to be in RI during the week, so that eliminates a day-time trail ride. Personally, I'm not very excited about night-time wheeling in December, but you younger lads can certainly head out if you want. I can show you where to get onto the power line trail.

Just checked with Wright's Farm. They are open Thursday through Sunday evenings. Thursday and Friday they are open until 9:00 p.m. So if we want to get together at Wright's for the chicken feast, Thursday or Friday is available, Monday thru Wednesday aren't.

What's your pleasure, gents? I think we should defer a bit to PA Highlander, since (a) it's his visit that's the impetus for this, and (b) if we do it Friday he's the guy facing a loooong drive home afterwards.

Eagle said:
Bill's only going to be in RI during the week, so that eliminates a day-time trail ride.
What's your pleasure, gents? I think we should defer a bit to PA Highlander, since (a) it's his visit that's the impetus for this, and (b) if we do it Friday he's the guy facing a loooong drive home afterwards.

As much as I'd love to wheel while in RI, I've got a 510 mile (8.5 hour) drive home :eek: I think a meet and greet only would be best at this point. By far the easiest for me would be Thursday, so I don't have 8.5 hours of driving to go. How many are game for a meet and greet on Thursday? If very few can make it Thursday, I'll stick around on Friday ... probably won't stick around to chat near as long though!

Earle can make it Thursday, but might not be able to get to Wright's Farm until 7:00 "ish." Don't know if Thursday evenings are as crowded as weekends, but there is usually a wait anyway. I suggest we meet up at Wright's Farm at ... say ... 6:00 p.m. on Thursday. There is a large waiting area and bar/lounge surrounding the reservation desk. We can hang out there and talk Jeeps for awhile before signing up for a table, and hopefully Earle will either be there by the time we're seated or follow soon after.

I'm not local to Woonsocket or RI so I'm not the guy to give directions. You can find Wright's Farm on www.switchboard.com and then plug the address into MapQuest to get directions from wherever you'll be coming from.

If anyone wants to head out and ride the power line before we meet up, hit me with a PM and your e-mail address and I'll give you directions to the trail entry.

Whoever wants to go to the powerlines, I can take them.

whatever day doesn't really matter to me. I'm still basically writing my own schedule @ work, so that's not much of a problem either.

make the plans, and fill me in.

oh, and Bill... if you can do it, I'd honestly suggest leaving RI after 9pm. traffic is MUCH nicer.

literally, I can start out @ 6pm and start out @ 9pm and make make it home around 3am no matter which start time I choose.

oh, and there's bypasses for everything @ the powerlines... ;)

There is also a Navy lodge at the naval base in newport. We have stayed at the one in groton ct several times and I seem to remember it was like $30 a nite.

guess i should've paid attention.. last time i read this thread ryan was still offering his couch... i cant do thursday nite friday i'd be there with bells on though..... i'll have to pass.... think i have to do my own "chicken run" with the kids after the holidays.......
:(
mike

I started a new thread on the meet & greet: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15383

I've got the hotel taken care of - thanks everyone for the suggestions and help! I just received my admissions packet in the mail yesterday. Two phrases have my attention "Class will begin at 0800 local on Monday, 8 Dec and end by 1530 local on Friday, 12 Dec" and "course will include modest homework". The course is taught by the Air Force (AFRCC) and sounds like it may not have definitive end times each day. That and homework might make this more fun :eek: Well, I wanted a challenge and I think I may just get it!

Back