• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need some opinions on this (lots of pics)

MahnkenVille

NAXJA Forum User
So we were driving down the street, and out of the corner of my eye, i spot a red XJ sport with "$700" written on it. Seeing as i've been on an XJ hunt for awhile now for my first car, i had to look at it. I don't know much more than what I could observe from the outside, but it looks like a 93 or similar year.

The body appears absolutely flawless... no rust or dents or anything above the lower molding. However, as you look down..its a different story. under the molding, its rusted through pretty bad on both sides, but doesn't look structural in my opinion. Everything else looks nice, and it even has a hitch and jack and tow straps in the back. What i'm asking your opinion on is if it is even worth buying because of the rust, and how much (very rough estimate) you think it would be to repair it. I'll be taking it to our mechanic and possibly a body shop to have it looked over for everything, and get an estimate on the rust work. I was thinking of trying to talk him into around 400-500 bucks if nothing structural is bad and theres nothing wrong with it mechanically?

heres some pics (crappy cell phone pics)

33op0tx.jpg

33ctd78.jpg

heres the rust hole on one side:
2vlm8g4.jpg

and the other:
2uivy2e.jpg

hrj32r.jpg

35hr4nr.jpg

thanks in advance for any advice on buying this thing.

Look underneath it, see how the floors/unibody is. with the rockers looking like that, it could go either way, but i'd lean toward it most likely having more rust underneath. and that's not a good thing... My personal suggestion would be, depending on how it looks underneath, passing over this one, and be willing to spend a little more money than $500. Keep an eye out on craigslist, there's always good deals to be had on there. Good luck with your search, hope ya find something suitable :)

x2 on checking the floors and the rest of the underneath and unibody. I'm going to say they let this one rot out too long and you may find problems later down the road.

IMO I would hold out unless you can do the body work yourself, and have a welder to patch the floors. After you pay someone to fix all that you could have just bought a less rusty xj for a couple grand. Rust sucks and will most likelycome back!

Listen to what every one is saying. If it looks like THAT on the rockers . . . .!!

I've owned 4 XJ's - all of them are still running, but ALL of them rusted out on the floor pan - especially over the muffler and cat. Luckily I have a good friend who's a great welder. Between my four and his - we still have solid trucks.

But, around here - the road salt is a killer for the thin unibody. And, x2 on the forward leaf spring mounts (that's a real PIA to repair).

Also, over 15 years old - there's a good chance your gas tank may also have a rust problem. (and brake lines).

Unless you (or someone close to you) have the skills - walk away from this one.

Mike in NJ :patriot:

There are no rockers to speak of on that XJ, I wouldn't touch it. The underbody is almost certainly rusted out on the drivers side floorboard, the gas tank will leak soon if it isn't new. There is probably a lot of rust/rot around the leaf springs and shock mounts both on the axle and body. If you think it's okay to do the rockers, take a hammer with you to check the underside, you'll notice a discernable difference in sound between solid metal and hidden rot.
Good luck.

Is that local? Im in Syracuse NY and I guarantee if the rockers are that far gone the floors and unibody is toast too.I will keep an eye out locally for a decent XJ. I just bought one but it came from Mass. How much you looking to spend?

that looks like my rocker panels, or lack therof. but that being said, there and my rear quarter panels are the only places with rust. my floors and everywhere are solid and all of my leaf spring bolts came out no problem (other than the bolts getting stuck in the bushings...) but keep in mind this was on my 98. i'd ivestigate it some more, but would probably start looking elsewhere.

Is that local? Im in Syracuse NY and I guarantee if the rockers are that far gone the floors and unibody is toast too.I will keep an eye out locally for a decent XJ. I just bought one but it came from Mass. How much you looking to spend?

yep, its on Wetzel Rd in L'pool.

I think i'll steer clear of this one... too much work and not worth it. Not to mention the guy with a 96 country (rust free :D) finally got back into touch with me after a month of no contact, so it looks like i may go for that one.

i'll refer this one to a friend though... he's looking for a beater. maybe this ones a little to beaten though :p

Thanks a TON to everyone :D

Back