• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some opinions about a misfire

offroadzombies

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1997 Cherokee that is throwing the P0206 code along with P0132 and P0138.

I have changed the plugs and wires, cleaned the throttle body & IAC, and also checked the TPS. No vaccum leaks are present, exhaust manifold has no cracks, i'm at a deadend.

Please comment.

I'm leaning toward replacing the #6 injector.

This problem started with no prior warning, I drive the jeep one day and upon startup the next it has rough idle and missing.

Run a can of BG44K through it.

move the #6 injector to the #1 location and see if the miss follows the injector-- if so, replace it-- if not, dig deeper with a noid light and a vacuum gauge.

I would go with cap and rotor but try what shorty said that's the best way to check out a faulty injector. Also double check your wires make sure there all snug and that they don't have any nicks in them or anything.

Today I:

replaced the #6 injector.
removed and cleaned the throttle body (scrub down)
replaced the TPS

The Jeep runs better and has better throttle response than the day I bought it.

Although the 0206 code went away I am getting a 0301 code. along with the obvious o2 codes. 0132,0138 etc.

I will replace the o2 sensor tomorrow, and may replace the ignition coil and sharpen up the ground there also.

I also found where the metal frame around my cold air intake element had rubbed through the insulation on one of the wires at the PCM.
I corrected that by taking a small length of PVC, cutting a slit in it and wrapping it around that wire loom.

I also verified that I only have the upstream o2 sensor, the cat and downstream sensor was long removed by a PO.

Back