• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need Opinions on paint

Pataterchip, what kind of paint did you use? I've seen Hot Rod Flatz and stuff flat enamel stuff like that, but it seemed to scratch very easily. Tintable primer is always fun and tough, but it fades pretty quick and absobs moisture if not poly.

What about a silver? I was thinking about doin my 96 in a 1968 Ford Silver that has so much flake in it... But than again: silver is common unless you do a unique and expensive color, and it'll scratch.
Does anyone know how olive drab green looks with clear on top?

Actually, silver and white are two of the most scratch "resistant".... they hide scratches well. White being the best, silver mediocre. However silver is very hard to spray. Go take a look at a new car sprayed in silver, and I guarantee you'll be able to find some defects.

Are you planning on single or two stage paint?
Clear can be a pain to shoot if its your first time sprayin.
Howabout Camo, like realtree looking though, with leaves and all? You'll stand out on the streets and be stealth on the trails! :D

BruceB83 said:
#3...but make sure it's more of a copper/burnt orange rather than orangey-orange. And I'd paint the extreme lower portion (the trim line and down) black.

Thats exactly what I did! I used bedliner on the trim lines. I would go with #3 cause thats what I did, but everyone says that. So if you want uncommon, go for #2

SketchyXJ said:
If your going to rattle can it green, than krylon sells a flat green at pep boys thats intended for camo.
Good luck.

There is a guy on Pirate 4x4 that painted his YJ Olive Drab Green with rattle cans and it came out awesome. He used semi-gloss and it looks a lot better than the flat paint, IMO.

Check it out, he did a write-up...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249432

I'm repainting in black - but for you, how about Fiskars Orange? What I actually mean is a light safety orange I live with in the CNC shop - and it's growing on me.

How to? Sand and prep as normal - I already have bought a 6" smooth roller with long handle to apply industrial enamel the local lumberyard carries - or epoxy if the wait time to harden and resand is reasonable.

I've seen results on the web - search "roller paint job" on mopar.org. Fantastic results consistently played down by the folks who invested hundreds in equipment for one job, or do it for a living. But that's how paint was done before spray equipment - apply a coat and color sand. It's labor intensive, it works, and it's great for those of us who need to paint a panel at a time. And it helps you correct all those little defects you'd live with if it was sprayed it and paid.

I just did mine OD green.

008.jpg

bizkit642 said:
I just did mine OD green.

008.jpg

Not too shabby. Is that a rattle can job? Also, it looks like it was red (same color as mine), how many coats and cans did you need to cover it? Thanks for the pic, post another one after it's all finished...

Yeah rattle can job.

I've used 7 cans so far. I have another ready for touchups when I wheel it out in the sun today.

I'll keep ya updated.

-Andrew

Back