• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need input

jeff411sk8 said:
true... but what about the ford 8.8 w/discs?

Pros: It has disk brakes. However, you can easily add dik brakes to a Dana 44. That's about it for the up sides.

Cons: BIG freaking pumpkin. You will lose ground clearance. While it's stronger than a Dana 35, it has the same C clips. Break an axle and your tire takes a walk.

Andy Steiner said:
Pros: It has disk brakes. However, you can easily add dik brakes to a Dana 44. That's about it for the up sides.

Cons: BIG freaking pumpkin. You will lose ground clearance. While it's stronger than a Dana 35, it has the same C clips. Break an axle and your tire takes a walk.

not true about the tires taking a walk. Disk brakes hold the axle in after breakage. They will walk out if you only have drums.

Thats a great theory, but I've seen bracketry break and the axle come out anyways. :)

I'd still do an 8.8 in a heartbeat.

if I was gonna spend that kind a loot i'd once again be pushing the 9"

$300 for 35 spline alloy shafts for a 9" and then your left with $200 to dump into beer and strippers...

Again, budget. I'm into my heep for less than $3500 including purchase price and it's got a D44 with Detroit and 4.10's in the rear to match the 4cyl 4.10 axle up front. Good enough for 31's and I haven't had trouble going anywhere yet. The RE 5.5 with drop brackets has stupid articulation in the front. :)
Of course, I do all my own wrenching, so that makes a huge difference in the cost of doing things. If I paid a shop to do it, I'd have double the amount in it.

djblade311 said:
TnJ is not an option for someone who is on a budget. Ask me how I know. Stay away or you will overpay.

:dunno: What do you mean? You saying that 65$ per stock USED leaf spring is too much? :dunno:

Or what about a drop pitman arm for 85$?

:confused1

I have a 8.8 with disc, 4.88's, yukon chromo axles, Auburn ECTED slectable electric locker, awesome Full TNT truss, TNT ubolt eliminators with a .75" lift in them tied in to the truss for a full flange to flange truss, with MORE cherokee hard Ebake lines and hydrolic direct fit lines. And Blue torch Fab Plate Diff cover. Direct bolt in to Cherokee. I will sell ya for 2100$ in perfect condition, minus some scraps on the botom of it. This is stronger then the D44, close to the D60 (on paper, or so 4wheel mag spec'd out) but smaller then the D60. Tubes are way stronger then the 44 and with the truss and axles, you would be lucky to ever break this thing. Ok ok I know but $2K even thought theres well more then that in it.....

jeff411sk8 said:
naw its not a 29spline. I already got a quote for that upgrade and just might do it. Ill have the axles out anyways so i should just do it.

So you're running 31's now, with the low spline 8.25 and you blew the spider gears.

My .02 cents: At your vehicle setup, I would get 29 spline 8.25 shafts, and a 29 spline no-slip (lunchbox locker) and be done with it. You'll have a nice upgraded axle you could run 32's or 33's with without too much worry (just don't go wromping on it at JV, nothing's worry-free)

It would be really inexpensive compared to swapping in an 8.8.

And coming from someone who has an 8.8, you do NOT want to run it on 31s. If you get an 8.8, you'll want 33's, then you'll need more lift, and a re-gear, and it snow balls from there. Now you're out of budget.

mikedashg said:
So you're running 31's now, with the low spline 8.25 and you blew the spider gears.

My .02 cents: At your vehicle setup, I would get 29 spline 8.25 shafts, and a 29 spline no-slip (lunchbox locker) and be done with it. You'll have a nice upgraded axle you could run 32's or 33's with without too much worry (just don't go wromping on it at JV, nothing's worry-free)

Don't forget that you would need a new carrier too, or to have that one machined out. The 29 spline shafts will not fit through the housing of the 27 spline carrier.

cal said:
Don't forget that you would need a new carrier too, or to have that one machined out. The 29 spline shafts will not fit through the housing of the 27 spline carrier.

Ah, well then, might as well get a full detroit! It'll be better anyhow.

But you might find someone who's upgraded to a detroit and still has there old carrier for cheap. Then you just need the shafts and the locker.

And that Super 8.8 is pretty damn cool. I saw that thing in JP or some other rag a month or two ago.
It get's you back to stock width, elimantes the c-clips, and gives you chromo axles in one fowl swoop. If I ever go bigger, that's on my list.

But that ain't happenin any time soon. In order me to go bigger, I'd need a SYE new Driveshaft, new leafs, bigger meat. A couple grand later, I don't think I even really need it. I really need a front locker before any of that makes sence. Oy.

well along time ago i got a quote from 4wheelparts on the 29 spline and a lunchbox locker. It wasnt too expencive, and i like the 31s for now. Ill post up what i come to my conclution. Going to fined out how much it was going to be again tomarrow. Ill let you guys know.

damn it just came to me.... haha now that im keeping the 8.25 and getting a 29 spline. What diff. cover do you guys like the best? rockcrushers?!?

yeah i like :)
chryscover.jpg

went to 4wheelhurts today and they told me that i can not do a 29 spline in the axle i already have... what gives? i thought you could in a 8.25?!? does anybody have a link to where i can buy a kit to do this? uggh...

of course you can, why would you go talk to those morons.

Pick-a-part sells the kit you need.

yea 4wheelparts knows jack about customizing. They only know bolt on and the parts they sell.

RobertK, those prices arent too bad for the parts but I paid $1400 for servicing the two diffs, tranny and tcase with a new tcase chain. Rip-OFF. They are nice guys but definitely felt ripped off after finding out how much doing this crap on my own would cost.

Back