• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need an Engine for my 2000. What would you do?

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
I could get an 00-01 from a junkyard, but with the 0331 head issues, I think paying $1000 for a 100k mile engine would be a waste, right?

Or I'm looking at buying a long block and taking my chances with a reman 0331 head.

OR I could buy a short block and add a different head? If I choose this option, I'm a little confused as to what heads fits the '00-01, or even which head to use.

What should I do?

Any HO head will fit ... but your exhaust is the real issue ... do you have a single cat or does it have dual precats off the exhaust manifold?
If you have just the single cat back by the transfer case a conversion is fairly straight forward, but if you have the Cali emissions engine you're pretty much going to have to stick with it ... look for a TUPY head or use an adapter plate for that one.

In any case I would avoid the 0331 head in any case. I swapped to a '93 HO head back when mine went. The short blocks are the same, just the heads changed really. Sure the later blocks had dowel pins added for head placement, but use a pair of head bolts with the tops cut off to solve that.
$1000 for a motor? Wow ... even up here in Canada we get better prices than that. I would find a runner motor used private sale, and then take the time to rebuild your stock motor while still being able to drive. Just toss the current stock head.

Now if you've only got a cracked head ... just swap the head and keep driving .... I'm pushing 234,000kms trouble free and my head went at 142,000kms. Swapped the '93 head on and converted the exhaust and away I went. If you go this way try and get the down pipe for the exhaust as well, it'll save some time and hassle.

I need a whole new engine, I put an 'inspection hole' in the block.

Being as I can not find any used engines for a decent price, I would like to buy a long or short block – if anyone can recommend a company to purchase one from. (Besides Titan I heard)

I just have the single cat, so I could get my exhaust manifold to fit on any head I think, or get the aftermarket header I need.

your stock manifold won't work, you'd need to convert to the earlier manifold with an earlier head.
'custom' inspection holes suck.

If you're in need of the whole engine, look for 91-98 motors, and swap all the externals to that (intake, Cam sensor, coil rail ...). Sorry, can't help you with a rebuilder though.

Right now I can get a 99 with 200k for $1000. But I just cant see going through all that trouble and money for a hi-mile motor.

Still waiting for my machine shop to call me back about building one for me. Otherwise I'm looking at big bucks for an ATK through Napa or something.

Anyone heard of Promar Precision Engines? The have an A+ BBB rating. Here's what I'm looking at.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Reman-99-06...ccessories&fits=Make:Jeep&hash=item5af2352471

I've got a question into them about their head they are using.

Last edited:
Tony if you live in Washington, MO, there is a local club that has a forum you can try:

www.midwestjeepthing.com

I see engines on there all the time, and you can get one for around $500. Pick N Pull in STL can probably net you an engine for about the same. High mileage motor may not be the case. It may have been swapped previously, and be lesser mileage. Either way, you can put in a used one for now, and save the funds for either a better engine, or a new or rebuilt one, when funds allow. Just my take on this one.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,
I'm on their forums and have been looking, no luck so far. I guess with all the jeeps on the roads, I thought there would be more local experts will to rebuild/install etc.

I have the funds too, I would like to put in a reman if I can find a good reputable builder or company. I want to do it right the first time vs gambling on a used junk yard engine.

Ok I've narrowed it down to a couple, since the local machine shops aren't calling me back. (Probably because I don't have a core to rebuild)

ATK Reman $2396.00 shipped (can not guarantee TUPY head)
3 yr, unlimited mile warranty
Part number DA34
Side note, ALL the part stores are selling engines with the part number DA34, but under different names, like Advance sells Spartan, Napa calls theirs Iron Clad, etc etc. So are these all ATK engines? It sounds like it.

Golen 4.0 Reman $3110 shipped (quality internals, little better cam, can check for the TUPY head to see if they have them in stock)
3 yr warranty

What do you guys think?

Check out the prices on a Jasper short or long block.

I went with a Jasper short block and a ClearWater Cylinder Head. I've had it for about 2 years now and it runs great.

Thanks Tim.

Jasper short block $1561 + 210 bad core + 129 tax = $1900
6 month / 8k mile warranty

Clearwater Head - New aftermarket casting all new parts $455 shipped
5yr warranty

Total $2355

Last edited:
The only thing I don't like about that Jasper short block is the 6mon / 8k mile warranty... that's almost nothing at all.

Golen is more than I wanted to spend... but seems like a great engine with great service.

ATK is still a good choice for a long block I think.

Are there any other options I am missing?

I'm going to bump this one last time to fish for opinions... I plan on ordering tomorrow afternoon.

Just seeing if you ever ordered and what it was....I would go with GOLEN hands down. Theextra $500 or whatever it was I saw you comparing between his and ATK is not even worth it. He offers 3 yrs/unlimited also but he lives and drives jeeps to. He is a smaller shop and has a lot riding on his rep. He prides himself in customer service. That is priceless. Go with Golen.

My 2001 0331 head just cracked and I'm using it as an excuse to put in a stroker. I have been pricing out engines (Titan, ATK, HESCO, 505 Performance, Summit, etc) and for the quality build, components used and customer service its, Golen all the way. Plus he will work with you if you need it to run on lower octane (89).

Back