• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice from Californians...

Dvipercop

NAXJA Forum User
In about two weeks I'm going to be headed down to Long Beach, CA to do some testing. I was hoping I could get some advice from some of you that live down there to someone that hasnt been down there before. Anything like what to expect for gas prices, traffic, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I'm only going to be there for 4 days, but I'd just like to get an idea of what to expect. Thanks in advance!

Where about's in Long Beach? Downtown?
Gas is currently around $2.69 - $2.89 depending where you are at.
Traffic - depends on time of day and where you are. Anywhere from ok to Not moving too fast (but moving). Probably not as bad as Downtown Porland during rush hour:sunshine:

hopefully a So Cal'er will chime in..

gas prices are between $2.50-$3.00

Traffic in Cali sucks, expect delays-especially rush hours (dawn,dusk)

Not sure if it's downtown or not... I'm gonna be in the area of S. Locust/W. Ocean. Approximately how far is LA timewise?

Dvipercop said:
Not sure if it's downtown or not... I'm gonna be in the area of S. Locust/W. Ocean. Approximately how far is LA timewise?
Which part of LA? Are you talking Downtown? For all intents and purposes that is LA (county).
Anyways, gas prices as Brendan posted. Traffic... well, depends which direction, which street and what time of the day and the weather.
What to expect? Expect the unexpected and then you will not be too surprised.

LongBeach Traffic can suck. Gas looks to be coming down as mentioned above, & unlike OR, you have to pump your own gas here :laugh3:

Locus & Ocean is Downtown Long Beach, the drive from LAX can take anywhere from 25 minutes to a hour, depending on time of day. If you are flying in in the morning you shouldn't have a problem as you would be driving down here around 10am. It is ruffly 25 miles. It's all freeway as the 710 freeway will dump you right on ocean.

Me and some friends are going to be driving down there on the 16th. Loooooong drive. Hoping to get in town around 11am or so. Hopefully we wont hit any traffic.

It's better to avoid Northern California all together if you can. If you decide to brave the north and stop in San Francisco, don't even try to go to the mens room, there really aren't any, no matter what the sign says. If you make it to Long Beach, bring a compass (long beach is about the same size as Oregon) and whatever you do, don't unlock the doors or get out of your XJ. :laugh3:

Last edited:
Taking I5 might be better most of the way.

If you suffer from temporary infirmity and take 101 through the Bay Area, let me know if you're going to be in San Jose and when - if I'm going to be between classes at the time, we can link up and say Hi! No point in wasting the whole damn trip...

5-90

It's gonna be a long drive either way, taking a side trip to San Jose might not be so bad. I'd be interested in meeting up with ya...and maybe buying some cables at the same time! :) I have a deadline on the way down, but after that I just have to be back to Portland by Monday. My biggest fear is my Jeep. This'll be the first big trip for it and I'm running around like crazy making sure everything is checked and topped off before I leave. From what you've all posted it sounds like gas there is about what gas was here a month ago, so that's not to bad. Just want to make sure I'm factoring in enough spending cash to get there and back. Thanks for all the replies!

I was down there in Hell a month ago for work. Here is a lovely picture of the sights in Long Beach.

114423522.jpg

The smog was such a nice shade of brown, and the traffic was so much fun. Luckily, there was a shooting at the Long Beach airport the night I flew in. Not to mention the bomb scare, in the housing complex right behind the chemical plant I was working in.

I have to admit, it certain made me glad to get to O'hare.

w_howey said:
I was down there in Hell a month ago for work. Here is a lovely picture of the sights in Long Beach.

That looks like the Kilroy Airport Business Park. Do you work for Boeing??

If youre thinking about taking the coastal route from San Francisco on down, let me tell you the drive from Monterrey to Ventura County is one of the most beautiful parts of the country though it will take you alot longer than the 5 which isin't interesting. Don't fear driving through SF, you just have to pay a lot of attention because the city is confusing, its easy to get lost there are a lot of 1 way streets, freeway exits on the left side and other weirdness you need to plan out your route and pay attention to where you are going plus we Californians think we should drive like the French. Though I don't like to spend a whole lotta time in Frisco, my sister lives there so I have a great time when I go there, theres a lot to see and do. Oh, fill up on gas and maybe food if you need to maybe 100mi from the bay area, prices just go crazy when you get near that city.

No offense Let but I hate the LA area. If you are from Portland I think you will too. There is an AM radio station you can listen to (is it 1070, I dunno maybe the LA people can help) it tells you every few minutes what spots have heavy traffic so you can avoid them, sometimes you can pick alternative freeways. Get a map and plan out your routes, LA is BIG. Gas I saw for 2.60 yesterday which makes it $2.47 after my credit card discount is factored in maybe its higher in LA county.

Anyway, I have taken a lot of different LONG trips with the XJ- Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Oregon, North. California and I am shooting for Alaska next year (which means I will get to say I have driven the Jeep through both the tropic of cancer and the artic circle). It really has held up well, I do the same sort of complete maintenance it give it a good inspection before leaving. I think theyre incredibly reliable vehicles. I bring my box of trail spares (belts, hose, all sorts of stuff) on longer trips even if I'm not going to wheel it.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'm still working on getting my XJ prepped for the trip. Still need to get it aligned, and I want to get my Hella 500's installed. I'll definately be taking spare fluids, hoses, etc. just in case.

Most likely will take I-5 all the way down since I'll be on a deadline. If the coastal route is more scenic like I've been hearing, I may take that on the way back. Any other interesting sights to see and maybe stop at on the drive back? Once I get the done with the tests I'm headed down there for, this trip will become a small vacation, so I might as well make the most of it. :)

UKJeeper1 said:
That looks like the Kilroy Airport Business Park. Do you work for Boeing??

No, that is a Shell Oil terminal. To the left is a Ashland Chemical terminal. Further back in the picture is a Rhodia Chemical plant, and to the right of the photo is a BP/ARCO refinery.

Actually to be fair, this picture was taken in Carson. It was the closest decent hotel to Long Beach. I was a block away from where they film the 'Reno 911' exterior shots.

Back