• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My prayers go to my fellow hokies

Re: Virginia Tech=ghetto....apparently

glad you guys are all safe but i wouldnt really consider a place "Ghetto" because it had a shooting it doesnt seem like the gunman was really going after certain people and the coward killed himself so no one will probably ever be 100%

again, with hindsight, it is a stupid title, but i put this up when i had heard there was just a shooting, i didn't know anyone had died

muddinxj04 said:
again, with hindsight, it is a stupid title, but i put this up when i had heard there was just a shooting, i didn't know anyone had died

Would you like me to change the thread title for you? I am one of the moderators of this forum.

If so what would you like it to be?

FitchVA said:
if you go to wsls.com , there is a link "live coverage" and you can stream the local news over the web.
I meant say from nova98xj or from other people on the scene. Just curious that's all. I can foresee the class of 2011 being a small one.

I was just watch FOX news and the reporter lady said

"We dont know where he got the guns and the ammo from, but we are looking into it."

WTF does that have to anything? Is she implying that everyone who buys a gun and ammo is going to go on shooting rampage?

Stupid liberal news. :soapbox:

About the victims, my heart goes out them and thier families. I cant even imagine thier loss.

xjcrawlr said:
I was just watch FOX news and the reporter lady said

"We dont know where he got the guns and the ammo from, but we are looking into it."

WTF does that have to anything? Is she implying that everyone who buys a gun and ammo is going to go on shooting rampage?

Stupid liberal news. :soapbox:

About the victims, my heart goes out them and thier families. I cant even imagine thier loss.

it's the news reporters trying to make the news and bend it into what they want, rather than reporting the news. i hate the way news reporters are.

my prayers go out to the familys of those hurt and killed.

Do we know anything about the POS who did this?

We had a shooting here at the U of Arkansas a few years ago, but it was personal and nothing like what just happend there. It's so f'd up.

they say the shooter was an asian man in his 20s. This is hear-say: he was in a fight with his gf and the RA came down and that's when he shot them. I just can't believe he killed 31 people....rediculous

slider said:
it's the news reporters trying to make the news and bend it into what they want, rather than reporting the news. i hate the way news reporters are.

no doubt. Watching CNN at lunch I was just laughing at the fact that they just repeat everything over and over, and not until they had done that for at least 45 minutes did they say the canned 'right now our thoughts have to be with the victims and their families'. Not that I don't believe it, but now-a-days the news is just a drama.

muddinxj04 said:
they say the shooter was an asian man in his 20s. This is hear-say: he was in a fight with his gf and the RA came down and that's when he shot them. I just can't believe he killed 31 people....rediculous

Same story i've heard about the story/shooter. The shots actually woke me up this morning.

Something I ran across from Jan. 31, 2006 while searching a bit deeper into this story:

"A bill that would have given college students and employees the right to carry handguns on campus died with nary a shot being fired in the General Assembly.

"House Bill 1572 didn't get through the House Committee on Militia, Police and Public Safety. It died Monday in the subcommittee stage, the first of several hurdles bills must overcome before becoming laws.

"The bill was proposed by Del. Todd Gilbert, R-Shenandoah County, on behalf of the Virginia Citizens Defense League. Gilbert was unavailable Monday and spokesman Gary Frink would not comment on the bill's defeat other than to say the issue was dead for this General Assembly session.

"Virginia Tech spokesman Larry Hincker was happy to hear the bill was defeated. "I'm sure the university community is appreciative of the General Assembly's actions because this will help parents, students, faculty and visitors feel safe on our campus.""

http://www.roanoke.com/news/roanoke/wb/wb/xp-50658

I really feel sickened by this morning's events, but finding the University's decision to strip its students and faculty of the ability to defend themselves and others only makes it worse.

Last edited:
:flamemad: From all the wheelers here in Utah our thoughts and prayers go out to all of those in Virginia affected by the tragedy of this mornings events.
As with all of you out there it really sickens me to hear things like this happen. What is our world coming to. You can't even go to school any more. DAMN IT!!!!

I think the campus police (at least at my school) have little ability to defend themselves, nevermind countless students. Like a guy said on CNN, instead of walking around the perimeter, cops just need to go right in and neutralize the threat. But of course he can say that not being in the shoes of the police. They have no idea what to expect around the next corner or how heavily this guy is armed.

And as far as more students with guns on campus, we aren't allowed weapons at my school either. Handguns will prolly cause more problems then solutions, especially if there are some kids there that dont like you or something. I'd hate to be at a place where everyone's packing a 9mm, then again maybe everyone would be nicer to each other ;).

Actually, a lot of kids, mostly guys, carry knives around...I know that doesn't do much against a gun. But you guys have to remember that we haven't heard the stories of heroism, if there are some. But knowing Hokies, we don't go down without a fight. I just hope the guys that haven't responded from the group i started on campus. It scares me cause that building was mostly upper-classmen engineering classes. A few of these guys are upper-classman. We've just gotta rebuild and keep on keepin on. Any ideas of how the club can show reverence, as a club?

Such a sad day. I graduated from VT in 2003 -- lived in East AJ my freshman year (7th floor) and walked back and forth through most of the areas involved a million times. Blacksburg is a wonderful place -- I hate to think that someone so stupid could cause the town to get a black eye. I always felt safe at Tech and would not trade my experiences there for ANYTHING in the world.

I feel horrible for the students -- your dorm and the classroom are "safe" places to go -- just ridiculous to think that those zones have been breeched and that everyone is going to be on edge EVERYWHERE.

Sad sad day.

Emily.

If there are severe penalties for inappropriately drawing a weapon on someone, including jail time, most students would most likely opt not to carry, but the one or two that decide to might make a difference, and in conjunction with the knowledge that anyone might be carrying a law such as the one above might serve to deter violence more than anything else. The way this world works though it’ll never happen. We can’t even carry pepper spray on an ambulance much less a firearm and we (without Police) are forced into armed and violent situations. People have been killed and will continue to be, doing nothing hasn’t helped, maybe the knowledge that we can shoot back might save some lives. There are ways to implement carry laws, training, screening and retraining to have carry privileges weeds out the idiots who would carry and be irresponsible, preventing everyone but criminals from having guns is not a solution. Those who sacrifice essential freedoms to gain security, gain or deserve neither. (Paraphrasing)
:patriot:
My best to the Va. Tech kids from up here at UC. This truely could have happened anywhere, it seems that schools these days are pushing telling incidents under the carpet to save face. Last year we had multiple shots fired on campus from a high powered rifle, no one was notified, no one was found or carged. A student attempted to rob a gun store and died in a high speed Police pursuit, multiple assults, girls being pulled into bushed in the dark places on campus. No e-mails, no letters to the parents and no attempts to help us. If nothing else maybe this will wake some people up to the fact that image is not worth endangering students...

Back