• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My new tow rig

So will the box be converted into a camper and you trailer tow the mj?

think horse trailer. The front wall wil have a counter/appliances, I'll cut some vents in the roof, some windows and a door in the side and roll the MJ into the back through the big overhead door. With the wall/cabinets I'll build out the cabover section to be long enough to fit a queen sized bed. That way if someone wants to split fuel I hook up their trailer to the truck and we roll out with two rigs. The uhaul GVW is 18K pounds, and they say it will tow another 7500. MT4Runner on Pirate took two rigs to KOH like that and still managed nearly 8 MPG, he just says that hills are ghastly with truck+trailer at nearly 25K pounds.

It also keeps my Uhaul still a truck, so I'll still have 20+ ft of useable box truck after the conversion.

Last edited:
new u joints and support bearings ordered.

good times with u joints the size of my wrist ahead....

update.

alternator off being rebuilt and having it's Amperage increased.

battereis are at the interstate dealer. hoping Interstate will warranty them even though I'm not the original purchaser. Batteries had a Man date of 10/10, 2 brand new Interstates toasted :(

Found what I hope is the cause of the driveline vibration. Bad u joint at the transmission output and a carrier bearing that has daylight through it's rubber mount.

located a spare wheel and 4.33 third member, but it's in Alabama. Have to just bite the bullet and have it shipped. New top speed with 4.33's : 76 MPH according to the calculator. Figure 72. That's faster than I need to be going anyway, but 65 will be nice. bummer this one has 5.57's in it, but I knew something was up before I bought it, so I can't complain.

Assessed my box damage. It's worse than I thought. Oh well, just have to repair it the best I can and make it watertight. Maybe one day I buy a 14 ft box and do an open flat bed and separate living quarters, maybe the damage gets no worse and I roll it like this forever. Only time will tell on that one. At least the funky smell has been replaced with standard barn smells.

Hopefully I can get somewhere with it next week when I start getting parts.

there may or may not be a flange in the floor for an iron pipe.

It will be there for a "winch point" in case I need to winch the Jeep in.

Alternator is stuffed.

rebuilder had a newer unit on hand that's already been rebuilt to 130A spec. So that's what we'll be using. The extra amperage will be nice for running the inverter going down the road.

old:
DSCF1932.jpg

New:

DSCF1931-1.jpg

I just remembered I've got a friend with an old international box van with a small block gasser (I can't imagine :cry:) He had the same idea with the front section for the camper and put the jeep in back. He said it doesnt do to bad with the hi lo rear end and the 5 speed tranny so 10speed. A cummins would be in plan but I dont see him ever getting to it. Hopefully you make so progress with this thing and inspire him to get off his ass

I just remembered I've got a friend with an old international box van with a small block gasser (I can't imagine :cry:) He had the same idea with the front section for the camper and put the jeep in back. He said it doesnt do to bad with the hi lo rear end and the 5 speed tranny so 10speed. A cummins would be in plan but I dont see him ever getting to it. Hopefully you make so progress with this thing and inspire him to get off his ass

Like this sort of progress?

DSCF1953.jpg

DSCF1954.jpg

door and windws this weekend.

all electrical and plumbing is done. EVen has hot water. Just need some trim pieces and some facing for the countertop and it will be fully swell inside.

16 ft from the end of the countertop to the door. the MJ will arely fit, stupid LWB wheeler that I am.

Hell yeah Nate! Can't wait to see it at the Crawl!

better pictures when I go back out to finish it today. Keep forgetting the real camera.

I finished the "upstairs" windows at about 1 AM last night with the help of some friends.

Back