• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my homemade rear bumper

CV95XJ

NAXJA Forum User
whatcha guys think?

mikespicsaugust08040.jpg

mikespicsaugust08041.jpg

I used 2x4x1/4, and 3/16" for the boxes, 2" reciever hitch and 2 weld on tow points, all in all took about 3 nights of work. I'm pretty happy with it.

looks good, i'll take one, you make the front one too???

Yea, I made the front too, The rear uses 10 grade 8 bolts, I used the 8 factory holes and then added two in the center behind the reciever, I decided against sleeving the unibody rails, cause I was lazy and didn't want to cut up more than I had too. but its been plenty strong for what I use it for.

Sorry, don't feel like making another, but you could buy the whole jeep if you want. lol, I bought Gene MJ's comanche project and would like to get rid of this for a better daily.

its a 97, and got around 148k.

re 5.5 inch lift, with longarms.
4.56 gears dana 30 front, 8.25 rear
homemade bumpers (duh)
sye, tom woods driveshaft
33x12.5 bfg mud terrains, set of 5 almost brand new
also have a set of the same tires on eagle rims that are pretty bald but still useable.
some stereo stuff
4 rear tj flares
trans cooler
optima yellow top

I have put many new parts on it since I have owned it.

its got a few problems that I don't have the time to fix, such as rear pass door needs a new latch, the power windows work most of the time but not all (switch is going bad), dent on rear hatch. just some little stuff that needs to be done for it to be perfect. this has been my daily driver for the last 2 years, and its been great. but with my new project, I just want something with better mileage and a little better for longer trips. Id like to get rid of this before winter so Im asking $4300 for it. any questions or if you would just like to come take a look at it give me a call at (815) 739-0217 or pm me on here. I'll probly put this over in the for sale forum too.

CV95XJ said:
whatcha guys think?

mikespicsaugust08040.jpg

mikespicsaugust08041.jpg

I used 2x4x1/4, and 3/16" for the boxes, 2" reciever hitch and 2 weld on tow points, all in all took about 3 nights of work. I'm pretty happy with it.

Am I missing something here or what? What is with the shock boots on the rear shocks?

upside down wierd i have never seen that before

but really whats up with it any reason or just a conversation starter i didnt spell the c word right sorry laugh if you wish

truthfully I thought it was weird too when I put it on but if memory serves correct, When I put the lift on the instructions said to put them on that way, I have the fronts on like that too. either way, I have been using them like that for over a year and no problems yet.

well just wondering if it had a reason i guess its like potato and pototo and tomato and mater, good luck selling it, and if you sell the bumpers tell me do you have any prints on them or measurements

umm, i had a templates for the outer boxes, but Im sure their lost now, I pretty much got the 2x4 main part mounted up, and then traced the body lines onto cardboard, then cut 2 pieces like that and welded them straight on the face of the 2x4, then just built the rest of the box off of that.

cool i have done welding before but im looking to buy a welder if you know anyone dont really matter what kind my neighbor is certified all it matters is that it is reasonable

Back