• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

moving further out in NJ...advice and such :)

altrocker1

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all you jersey folks...we are currently looking at moving further out in jersey and hopefully renting for 6-12 months and then buying a house. we currently live in Jersey City and we both work in the city, however we have our first kiddo on the way and we don't thing our little JC apartment will cut it once the new one arrives. I am going to be commuting into the city daily for work, but the wife is hoping to get a job out wherever we end up. she currently works in the bridal industry as a store manager in manhattan and also worked as a store manager at a bridal/prom store before we moved back to the east coast. she is hoping to stay in the same type of work, but may also take a few months off when we have the baby...so we are looking for some thoughts on places to live. i don't mind a little commute (and i work a block from penn station) so really something on the njt line would be ideal. we really like the rockaway/denville/mountain lakes area and there are plenty of stores out that way for my wife to look at. we are hoping for something that under a 90 min train ride from the city...or im not ruling out the possibility of finding a parking spot just outside of the city. i start work at 2pm and get off at 11, so traffic is usually not an issue for driving (just the overall cost of it)

i would appreciate any info...safety, quality of schools/community and price are our main concerns. commute times and being in an area that feels less urban are secondary...

Rockaway is a good town and easy for commuting by train denville is good to for the same reasons good schools good luck.

What about westchester, take te metro north in and out

What about westchester, take te metro north in and out

we've thought about that, but westchester taxes are a lot higher. i also work a block from penn station, so new jersey transit is a better option. i can certainly get here from grand central, but it adds more time on the commute

Just throwing this out there...I live in Sussex County. Low taxes, low real estate prices, lots of open space. A commute to NJT in Dover or Mt Arlington at the times you have stated is about 20 to 30 min plus the train ride tp NYC. Might be an option. I live in Branchville 07826, about 25-30 min to Rockaway Mall for the wife to work.

Re: Re: moving further out in NJ...advice and such :)

Just throwing this out there...I live in Sussex County. Low taxes, low real estate prices, lots of open space. A commute to NJT in Dover or Mt Arlington at the times you have stated is about 20 to 30 min plus the train ride tp NYC. Might be an option. I live in Branchville 07826, about 25-30 min to Rockaway Mall for the wife to work.

We haven't ruled that out either...we will be renting for at least 6 months so will will take some time to see what our options are

Back