• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Motorcycle hauler on back hitch

daddyrat

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody run with a motorcycle hanging off the back hitch of an XJ? I was just wondering if hanging 300lbs. (DRZ400+hauler) would be too much for the Jeep. I thought it might sack out and damage the rear leafs. All the ads use bigger vehicles, anybody use these haulers with success? :roll:

We just discussed this at length not that long ago in OT. You should have searched for "dirt bike". Not being an arse just trying to help.

It can definitely be done. I hauled my 250 around like that for a while until I decided that I could probably kill myself faster with 400cc's. :looser: I bought my tard from a guy in San Jose and hauled it home on the back of my rig. Never had a worry. Just kept a close eye on it in the mirror and checked the tie downs at every fill up. Just make sure you have a Class III hitch and it's properly bolted down. The link below has pics too.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74917

We had that discussion. Personally, there's no way in hell I'd try that. My motard slid along the pavement at 50mph after I laid it down and it received no damage at all. That bike fell off the stand one night and was fine. Really the perfect bike for me. A sport bike is just more susceptible to a REALLY spendy repair bill. If I was allowed to have a sport bike (she'd kick my a$$) I would only trailer it (or put it in the bed of a truck).

However, the guy I bought my carrier from did have a 600cc sport bike pictured on his carrier.

Thanks for posting the pic's riverfeaver. I remember reading your post before but wasn't sure what to search on. I have a four place quad trailer I could use but thought a hauler might be easier at times. The rear end of your XJ doesn't seem to squat at all, did the ride seem ok? Thanks

I could certainly tell that heavy bike was hanging out back but it wasn't bad at all. I think the rear sagged close to an inch but that's a lotta weight back there. I liked it to tell ya the truth. It took up little space when I wasn't using it, was cheap, and easy to throw on. She MIGHT be open to another dirt bike. If I ever got to that point, that's how I'd haul it.

Back