• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Modine Radiators

Re: Re: Gdi of questionable quality

Anthropy said:
Now why in the world would you want aluminum over copper????

Copper conducts heat much better than aluminum.

Aluminum radiators weigh less and cost less.

While copper alone has better thermal properties than aluminum, manufacturing methods for copper radiators that typically use solder to attach the fins to the tubes negate the benefits. The solder doesn't have the superior thermal properties of copper and creates a bottle neck to the transfer path: coolant > tubes > fins > air.

ATL XJ,

To finish off your job install a new MOPAR 195F thermostat. It sounds like you over heated your XJ before and kept the thermostat. I overheated mine and had it running around 210 vs 200-205.

I went to the radiator shop and the guy told me to install a new thermostat. He told me if you get the thermostat to 225F one time you can damage the thermostat, it will open late and close late.

It sounds like you have made a GREAT improvement in your XJ, hope a new theromostat finishs the job.

Also I answered a post about aluminum vs copper/brass radiators a couple of weeks ago. There seems to be a lot of "I heard this.... I heard that..." out there. I will tell you there is a lot of science/engineering which goes into the design of raditors and decisions on configuration is determined by what space the chassis designers allocated to the radiator. I personally said aluminum is the better material for "transfering heat" BUT due to things like galvanic corrosion a brass radiator is the way to go for us mere mortals.

If I had a 4.7 litre stroker engine I'd install an aluminum radiator due to the increased heat produced by the engine.

I was talking to the manager/owner of my corner garage which does work on my XJ. I wanted to find out what he would say would follow what I learned in my Heat Transfer class back in college for my Mechanical Engineering degree. I asked him "Which would you use if you were wanting to get heat out of an engine - aluminum or brass". Without hesitation he told me "aluminum and that what I am going to put in the Vette when I get ready to change it.

The aluminum vs brass is like a ford vs chevy debate neither side will change their mind.

I've never heard that before about replacing the thermosat if its been run hot. The thermostat in it is a Mopar 195 degree thats only two months old. It never gets past 210 degrees anymore so i'm not real worried about it. Next time I work on it though i might go ahead and change it out to be sure. It never overheated, but it would get up to 230 in traffic until i turned the ac on and then the electric fan would cool it off. Thanks for all the input everybody:D :D

Back